4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Moonman337's Profile Photo

Hyatt at Gainey Ranch

This hotel is exceptional. My wife and I loved the architecture, the desert landscaping and the multitude of swimming pools.
    We also made use of the free bicycles and we even set up a Segway tour for a large group ofour company's alumni club.
    The service was wonderful and the rooms were fine, although we didn't get to spend too much time in it ~ we were always on the go.
    On our way from the airport in by car we noticed a Trader Joe's store. We picked up enough wine to last the week and then some....!
    It is pricey but it's well worth it once in a while.

Unique Quality: There are water falls everywhere and I think they said there was 9 pools. We only used one but there is one pool with a sand beach for those who like to dig their feet in the cool sand.

Directions: if driving bring your GPS!

• JERICO's Profile Photo

I have always stayed at the...

I have always stayed at the Hyatt Regency at Gainey Ranch, a beautiful, large hotel complex set amidts the desert with views of the mountains. It also has 27 holes of golf (private but available to hotel guests), several swimming pools, numerous lounges and great architecture. The service is always top notch, as well.

More about Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch

great week at gainey ranch

I was nervous after reading the reviews as well. This is a wonderful site that is quite helpful. It is important to be honest on here. Everyone starts their critique with I have stayed in the top resorts. If you find this hotel to be unacceptable i would love to see where people have truly stayed. It was beautiful, the pools fun and clean. I cant imagine a better place for children and the staff was as nice as could be. If you play golf, they shuttle you back and forth. The rooms are nice and have granite counters and furniture. That is a nice touch. There is music every nite. So people dont think i work for Hyatt, I thought the food was mediocre. This was an amazing fun vacation. If you dont have kids, they have adult only pools. I highly recommend. If you stay somewhere else in Scottsdale based on this site, take 30 minutes and check out the Hyatt, to see who is right.

Nice Location but Overpriced

by ArizonaExpert about Vu- Hyatt Gainey Ranch

The Hyatt is in the process of changing out all their restaurants at Gainey Ranch. This is a familiar place for me...I have been there a dozen times. The place is beautiful and that never gets old. However, theis new place...Vu...was not a good experience.

We got an outdoor table which was very romantic. The wait staff was very friendly and knew the menu....problem was there wasn't that much to know! There were 6 appetizers and 6 dinner choices...unless you wanted the tasting 2 hour chef's delight....no thanks.

My wife (vegetarian) only had one appetizer choice and two fish choices for dinnner. I opted for the salad (her one choice) and was presented with a beautiful piece of art....no lettuce...but it was beautiful. I know it had beets and cheese and walnuts, but really, no lettuce. I thought salad meant lettuce?

My wife, starving and only eating bread, ordered a fish and I ordered tenderloin. Her fish was served on a huge plate, which made the child-like portion seem even smaller. We actually laughed at how little food she got....a small palenta side...and nothing else.

At least my 3 small pieces of meat came with a dollop of mashed potatoes, which I offered to my wife. NO veggies...nothing else.

I couldn't bring myself to order dessert. If we didn't have a great sense of humor, I would have been livid.

The total bill, with two glasses of wine, was $120! Obscene is the only word I can think of. I picked a crummy place for our anniversary! I don't mind paying for a good meal, but I sure want to feel special when I leave. Here, I felt violated. Ummmm....my favorite dish WAS the dish...because it was better than the actual food....and there was more of it!

I wonder who wrote the bad reviews?

After reading some of the terrible reviews of this hotel on this website I was a bit nervous about going there for our reserved two day stay. I am very happy to report that my stay was everything I could have wanted and more. Makes me wonder if the bad reviews were written by their competitors. The hotel and grounds are absolutly gorgeous with statuary all aroundand ten swimming pools, including one for adults only. The room was large and very nice with a small balcony off of it (where they asked you to smoke if you are a smoker). We ate in both the "Squash Blossom" and their fancier "Golden Swan" restaurants and had great service and excellent food in both. They arranged a trip into the desert for me which I thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing that I wished for that they could not satisfy was that I could stay another day or two but that was my fault, not theirs. I travel a great deal and this is one of the nicest places we have stayed. I would highly recommend it.

wonderful!!!!!!

I would like to say I am not sure why there are any bad reviews about this resort. It is one of the best resorts that I have ever stayed in and I have travelled a lot. The staff, room and property were wonderful. I also loved the pools at this resort. I wish I would have stayed longer.
The only this I have to say is that the food portions at the Golden Swan were very small for the price but that is how French Restaurants are. The Italian restaurant was excellent.
This resort is a must stay!!!!! a++++

Easter weekend a blast

by TripAdvisor Member rocknty

We stayed ay the GRH over easter weekend and found it to be a hight quality family resort.

Our room was a little spartan, but comfortable. We asked for and got a room on the end of the hall with a big balcony. It was big enough with a easy chair a table and a pretty big bathroom. Amenties in bathroom were a little sparse.

The pool was amazing. It had zero entry sand beach for the kids and enough small pools (10) that finding privacy with 100% occupancy was possible.

Adult pool was adults only. Not that we saw much of it with our 4yo son jumping around us.

We ate at all the resturants, which were all fine. Never had a bad meal. Squash Blossom for Easter brunch (which was fun since they invite you into the kitchen to pick out your food).

Cool art exhibits. Loius and Clark during our stay. My son took part in a musket shoot (he watched not shot), and he ran his legs off at the Easter Egg hunt, with help from the costumed Mr. & Mrs. Easter bunny.

Valet service was prompt. Room service prompt. Bacon was outstanding. No complaints.

If your into Hyatt family resorts like we are this Hyatt can deliver the goods.

My tips:
1) Make sure you join gold passport. Being a member gets you a better room with free hot coffee just outside your door.
2) On check in ask for a room with a large balcony (there are only a few) sort of a private sundeck and table
3) If its a holiday weekend get out to the pool early and claim your chairs
4) Take the gondola ride after dinner one night
5) Visit the outdoor vodka and tequilla bar, sit by the outdoor fireplaces and take in the spanish music show with the dancers.

Off property in Scottsdale we had fun with my son at the 'run down' but 'somehow' charming Rawhide wild west park. Key is go at sundown.

We also went to the SPA at The Boulders and that was nice.

Dinner at Roy's was great. Service was the fabulous.

Don't know why anyone wouldn't love this place!

I saw some of the negative reviews and was a little nervous about staying at this hotel. I have stayed at many 5 star resorts that didn't appeal to me the way that this resort did! When I got there I thought the lobby area was absolutely beautiful, but I was still anxious to see how dark and cramped the room would be (which is what others said). The room was adequate is size (not the largest but large enough). The water playground is absolutely wonderful and the grounds are spectacular with some of the best views in Scottsdale. The service was good as well - I found myself tipping 20-25% because I appreciate good service! The spa was reasonably priced also -and the staff there was great. The only thing that may bother you (if you like peaceful hotels) is the entertainment at night. It can be loud so if you are staying in a room above the patio, you will likely hear the music. It didn't bother me though, I actually enjoyed the live entertainment! I definitely plan to visit this resort again.

Hotel great, rooms average

by TripAdvisor Member ChgoGal80

Spent a week here with my husband and 2 children (6 and 18mos). The pools are great for the kids..the sandy pool area was perfect for both of my children. The property is beautiful and very well maintained. We did have difficulties getting a chair at the pool on July 4th...it was packed and they needed more chairs..a little disappointed. The rooms are ok...nothing to write home about...you don't want to hang-out in the rooms, although the balcony was nice. Expected more amenities, especially a coffee pot!! Would return if I got the great rate I did on Hotwire.com!!

Great Hotel

I stayed at the Hyatt in Scottsdale last August (2003). I'm going back to Scottsdale this August but will stay at the Four Seasons. I am only doing this to try something new. We actually agonized over the decision because of how much we enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt. The staff and concierge was extremely helpful and polite. We were there for 6 days and the resort was basically empty for the first for days (upside of going in August). I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I hope that people will give the Hyatt a chance because it's really a great resort.

We Had Two Different Experiences

by TripAdvisor Member healin1

We decided to stay at the Hyatt for two nights before we went to Sedona for six nights at the Enchantment Resort ( Beautiful and peaceful!!!) And then we came back to Hyatt for our last night to be near the airport. Our first visit was wonderful we were put in a large room that was perfect for our family of four with one teenager. The pool is really beautful and large. The employees were friendly and accommadating. When we decided we liked the hyatt so much we cancelled the last night reservation we had at the Scottsdale Princess because we had a chance to take a look at it and it wasn't anything special. We couldn't wait for our last night stay at Hyatt. Unfortunately, it was a completely different experience than our first. I had reserved the same room but when we checked in they said it was already taken. So, they put us in I guess what they called a standard room overlooking the front driveway where check in is. It was horrible! The four of us were so cramped and it was so noisy!! Had a rough time sleeping, whereas the first room was located on a small quiet lake where my 9 year old enjoyed the fish taking the crackers right out of his hand. My husband commented that it was like we were in a completely different resort. So true! What a difference a day makes. So, if your a family of four make sure you get a suite or the large room by the lake because you guys will be so uncomfortable. We also, had a different experience with some of the employees second time around. They could care less we were miserable in our tiny room and I gave up because after all it was only one night but at nearly $300.00 a night it becomes the principle of the matter. Next time we will stay at Four Seasons heard it is beautiful and by the way stay at The Enchantment Resort in Sedona. It is sooooo beautiful and the spa is unbeatable!! Have a good trip in Arizona.

Clubs

by almir&ara

I will be in Scottsdale next week 15th-19th and was wondering if there are any opinions on the clubs and lounges there?
I have heard that the places close rather early and the drinking stops at midnight?
We will be staying at the Hyatt Resort there and are definitely planning to go out dining and dancing every night.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Almir&ara

Re: Clubs

by YVRDave

The Hyatt does an excellent show in the lobby lounge. The whole place gets going.
There is a fun place in the Scottsdale Mall that has changed names since I was there last.
If you are under 40 at heart, you have to go to The James Hotel bar at happy hour and pool during the day

Re: Re: Clubs

by dshinkle

You are in for a treat. Scottsdale has some great places, in fact a whole district full of upscale clubs and lounges.

However, Scottsdale tends to only have a lot of action Thursday - Saturday (I see you are coming Sunday through Thursday).

If you were going to be here on a Fri or Sat I would suggest you consider Barcelona in North Scottsdale one night (I reviewed it on my page) for dinner and then dancing.

Old town Scottsdale is where the action is...

Here is a review of the J Bar at the James Hotel (mentioned above) . The only time I tried to go it was full.

I would also consider Next

Axis/Radius

or the surrounding clubs.

Re: Clubs

by ArizonaExpert

I would mirror the previous responses. Arizona recently rolled back its "last call" to 2am....so the party does not have to stop "early" any more. It's not Vegas...but we are getting there.

Sunday brunch at the Hyatt (Gainey Ranch) is to die for!!!

Comments