Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center

The Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• jeffjun's Profile Photo

A premiere resort in Scottsdale

I stayed here while attending a company meeting in Scottsdale. The resort was absolutely beautiful and I was very impressed by its well-sized rooms, luxurious property, friendly staff, and well-arranged meeting rooms. It had two full-sized pools, a sports lounge (complete with complimentary pool tables, bar, and several big screen TV's), four tennis courts, a full-sized spa & gym, and delicious food at the Palm Court restaurant. The resort just recently went through some major renovations so it looks new and fresh. The resort did not have a privately owned golf course but there were two championship golf courses directly across the street. You can get a big discount if you are a guest at the resort. The Scottsdale Resort & Conference Center is without a doubt one of the premiere resorts in Arizona and would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone.

More about Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center

Great spring training stay at Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center

Got this resort on Priceline for $120/night for March 21 to March 24. For the end of spring training I was very pleased with that price.

Upon arriving at the resort I felt the drivelane was indicative of a nice, well kept resort. Told the valet that I was checking in and would leave the car on the round about until I found out where my room was. No problem there. Entered the lobby to go to reservation desk and found the lobby to be very nice with beautiful furnishings and various sitting areas spread around. Very nice.

At check in the clerk mentioned everything was prepayed by Priceline but no other reaction about it. I was given room 104 which is directly around the corner from the lobby. This was around the corner from the elevators and the "coffee bar" so there was a decent amount of foot traffic around the area.

The room was very nice with two beds, two desks, two chairs in a sitting area, a smallish bathroom (but OK), a sink outside of the bathroom, a very large closet with two entries (and 2 robes), and a coffee maker.

The pool area is average (nothing special) with a nice bar area, the gym was very nice and has a spa for treatments if you pay extra for them.

There is the normal resort fee ($12) which includes, daily paper, free local calls, high speed internet, use of the gym/spa facility, and valet parking.

There is not really anything directly around the resort as it is in a residential type area. Down the block there is a strip mall that has a few restaurants and stores. Fine restaurants and shops are only a few miles down the street in Scottsdale though.

Overall, I was very pleased with this resort and would enjoy staying there next year for another spring training trip.

decent stay, clean hotel

by TripAdvisor Member traveler10Us

Stayed at the Scottsdale Resort on MLK weekend with some friends. Pros: rooms were spacious and clean; nice bar and pool area; gym seemed nice as well (though we just walked through, did not actually use it); very quiet hotel even though it seemed to be a popular conference spot. Cons: very soft mattresses; hotel is slightly dated; biggest annoyance: the front desk staff -- disinterested and not very helpful with anything. Example: my husband sent me flowers that had not shown up - I called the front desk staff and they were just like, "haven't seen it"; they were not helpful in the least about asking around, seeing if they could locate, etc. Our room was cheap for Scottsdale and the size of the room/amenities [$200 on hotels.com]. All in all, a "neutral" experience -- good price/location but if you want "luxury" or impeccable service, go elsewhere.

Great service, but lose the nickle and dime routine

by TripAdvisor Member tripgirlMichigan

My husband and I recently returned from a five day conference hosted by the Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center. I spend a considerable amount of time in hotels around the country and I was favorably impressed by our stay here. The service could not have been better -- everyone was very friendly and accomodating. My husband was sick during our stay and housekeeping brought us ice and towels at 3:00 in the morning and were incredibly nice about it. The concierge was also very knowledgable about the area and really helped us plan our free time.

The room was larger than I expected for a standard king bed room, and everything was very clean and well maintained. Scottsdale is a beautiful area and there is a great 7 mile loop trail that leaves from the resort -- the front desk staff gave us a map and we had no problem finding it (the only con is the trail is concrete). One tip: there is a cafe called "In the Raw" about 1 1/2 miles into the trail, so you can take a nice walk from the hotel, get a coffee or raw (freshly squeezed) juice or smoothie and enjoy the scenery, and then walk back.

We ate at the resort restaurants as part of the conference and I thought the food was very good. I'm a vegetarian and they always provided tasty options. The Palm Court is very pricey (budget $75 per person if you eat dinner there); Vista Verde is also on the third floor and offers a buffet for lunch and dinner ($18 per person) and a fixed price 3 course dinner ($45 per person). I can't eat enough to really justify those prices, so luckily the company was picking up the tab. Sangria's is the casual lounge on the first floor with a small food menu (2 pages) and a very extensive alcohol menu. I had a great salad there the night of our arrival for $7. Room service food was also good and had pretty standard pricing for a nicer hotel. There aren't outside restaurants within a mile of the resort, so if you don't have a car (Hertz is on site but the daily rate is $70, which is outrageous), your food bill could add up pretty fast.

As for shortcomings, I have to agree with previous reviewers about the nickle and dime routine. In addition to the room cost ($260 per night) and the obligatory hotel taxes, there appears to be a charge for everything. Several reviewers have mentioned the daily resort fee -- we also had a fee to cover the maid service and other staff. Additionally, It will cost you $10.95 per day (or $18 for three days) to use the fitness center, which is nicer than many hotel fitness centers but not as nice as the fitness centers I've used in major cities for $5 per day. All food and drink orders carry an automatic 20% gratuity in addition to the standard taxes, no matter where you eat. Put it this way, the fees have to be a little out of control to irritate someone who isn't even personally paying the bill!! I don't understand why they don't increase the room rate by $25 a night and get rid of all the other fees. We stayed 5 nights and our bill was 6 pages long, if that tells you anything.

In summary, I would be very happy to return for a conference, but not for a personal vacation -- it was just too expensive for what you get.

Nice Rooms, Poor customer service

-Nice room, although quite far from parking structure.
-Good fitness center.
-30 minute check in with no one else at the desk.
-Checked out of the room by housekeeping while at pool, came back to room, keys still worked, and starting changing when new guest arrived in the room. No apologies from front desk staff, just the following statement: "Sorry you feel that way". I would imagine most people would be upset by that experience, perhaps not.

Stayed twice

by TripAdvisor Member CSBSC

We went to Scottsdale the week before Christmas to check this out as a possible meeting site. We loved it so much on Monday that when we got back from Sedona on Thursday, we went back to the same room. This is a wonderful place.

Very good 4 Star hotel

I stayed at the hotel from March 3-March 11, 2005. The hotel entrance and grounds are very nice and staff welcome was very good. I paid about $250 per night U.S. and for a 4 star hotel this was excellent value given the next best options at this time of year were much higher per night. My room was nice and ovelooked a nice pool area that had a pool, hottub and bar area. Hotel also had a fitness centre while not well stocked was adequate. The hotel provided free coffee in the morning which was nice and the car valets were prompt. My minor complaints with the hotel was that the only way you could get ice was by calling room service and they were terribly slow, one time requiring three calls and an hour of elapsed time. I don't know why they don't have ice on the floors, possible to discourage people from bringing in their own liquor thus reducing their revenue. My only other suggestion which I provided tot hem was to do some easy maintenance onthe suites with touch up paint as my room looked aged and weathered. Overall, I was very satisfied and would definitely return.

Very Charming - Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member UofATess

My boyfriend and I stayed here in late February and had a blast! What a charming, cozy, old Arizona-feel hotel. It was gorgeous and for the price, with our military rate, it was a great deal. I live in Phoenix, so I'm very familiar with local resorts and this was a gem that I had never heard of. Great outdoor bar by the pool, which is very nice. Great happy hour in the lounge with music, pool and appetizers. And the grounds, rooms are beautiful. I will return!

First and last impressions

by TripAdvisor Member boyentrant

Arrived late in the evening, everything looked good from the drive and into the lobby. Room was terrific, one of the best furnished I have ever been in, OK the bathroom was a little tight but well appointed, beds comfortable, room quite large as well, great view overlooking the pool. We felt that we had made a good choice and would have stayed again except for the last imopression. I had used the phone twice to make a long distance call, neither time did it connect, but upon check out we found an eleven dollar charge for phone use, I explained that the calls did not connect, in fact I had tried on my cel phone and was trying to see if I had the same problem with a land line. Bottom line, no calls connected but an eleven dollar charge. So I asked for it to be removed at check, I was informed by haughty clerk that it is the hotel policy to charge just for dialing, (My words) and that it was on the registraion form, which my wife had flled out and not me, well his attitude did not go down too well.

Due to a conference checkinb in we were unable to get a late check out, so we parked our luggage and took the kids to the pool. They were setting this area up for an evening buffet and had removed all of the loungers. OK we could live with that, then the kids were hungry and wanted to eat. Was informed that due to the conference the restaurants were closed and would have to use room service, well having had a burger that was like a piece of charcoal the day before that was not really an option plus we had already checked out.But I gave in, problem was that I could not pay with cash and was informed I would have open the room account again.

Bottom line, DO NOT USE THE PHONES, and if you are unfortunate to be there when they have a group in, then expect to take second place to that. Nice hotel but would not be nmy first choice due to the inconvenience of the group and the attitude at the desk, It does not matter how good a first impression is , it is the last one that is remembered and regreattably it was one of uncaring staff.

Give it a miss

by TripAdvisor Member VioletCrumble

Stayed here in May after getting a deal through Priceline. The rooms are adequate - but a little tired - there were holes in the ceiling for example! On checking out they tried to charge me a resort fee despite my prepaid room - at least after much debate it was dropped but not without having to push the point. The resort services are minimal compared to the other resorts in Scottsdale so it is hard to understand what I was paying for - think it was a paper! There is also not a large selection of restaurants - one served fairly plain food, the other extremely rich everything with tons of butter and cream - which made me extremely ill. The road outside the resort is also under construction at the moment. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

At a Scottsdale resortAt a Scottsdale resort

Scottsdale resort's pool areaScottsdale resort's pool area

Cacti in a Scottsdale resort, ArizonaCacti in a Scottsdale resort, Arizona

Resting at a Scottsdale resort hammockResting at a Scottsdale resort hammock

Comments