Scottsdale Thunderbird Suites

Expedia.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

More about Scottsdale Thunderbird Suites

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member kpw3

I booked this hotel through Hotwire. I was happy with the price, even though the rooms were very small. Our problems began the first morning, when, even though we were at the continental breakfast by 6:30 AM, the food was almost all gone. Judging by the number of people looking into the kitchen with empty plates, we were not the only ones left hungry. This was a situation that was repeated every morning of our four night stay: the food would disappear in the first 15 minutes, the person in charge would come out, look shocked, and then (15 minutes later), bring out another small portion, which would also disappear. Our next problem was with the maids; the first day we returned back to the hotel late in the afternoon to find the room still not made up. When they did show up we had to send them away, as our kids were exhausted and needed to lie down. The next few days they managed to come earlier, but aside from new towels did not seem to do much. Finally, on our third night, I was looking at the selection of pay-per-view movies with an eye towards getting one for the kids--imagine my surprise when I went to sign off and a movie started to play! I iimediately called the front desk to let them know I hadn't ordered the movie (I didn't even know what it was). When they told me there was "nothing they could do" I asked to speak to the manager. Far from helping me, he accused me of "lying" about ordering the movie, told me there was no one else I could talk to since he owned the hotel, and rudely told me to call the movie company, which I did. They were very nice, and quite surprised to hear from me, as hotels are supposed to call if there is any kind of a dispute, not the guest. All in all, I was very upset with the service I received at this hotel, and would not stay there again at any price. If you want a cheap room and verbal abuse then this is the place for you; otherwise, stay somewhere else.

Suitable for a non-fancy stay

by TripAdvisor Member barbarino2000

Now called the "Thunderbird Suites", this small hotel is just fine for simple stay. It is a bit dated, but fairly well kept. Great location off of North Scottsdale Road, near dining, shopping, highways, etc.

Nice Suites, but Horrible Service

by TripAdvisor Member worldtraveler65

I booked this on Hotwire and got a pretty good rate and was suprised to see the spaciousness of the suite. The hotel overall is quiet and the hotel is tucked back off the main drag, Not recommended to stay here without a car as it is a good three to four blocks away from anything. But, great shopping nearby. There is a nice continental breakfast and two computers in the lobby for internet use, but once again the service is awful.
I asked for a wake up call and did not get it. I asked about a lost item and they just kind of shrugged their shoulders. Asked where I could get my nails done(this is supposed to be a 3 star hotel) and they said they didn't live in the area and didn't have time to help me. Always took about 5 minutes to get someone to help you and they were always rude as if you were inconveniencing them. Weren't trained well either, not friendly or competent with their jobs. Nice pool and jacuzzi and somewhat decent suites, just older property. Lighting is very poor in hotels. When I asked about the water running all night long above me and asked them to get that taken care of, they just noted it and again shrugged their shoulders. So if service is not such a big deal, its okay. I eventually just stopped bugging them as I liked the actual suite.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jensings

Pros: Price was awesome ($40/night/rm); hotel is beautifully landscaped and by the gate of Scottsdale Municipal Airport.
The foyer is spotless, staff is friendly and professional.
The suites have a nice seating area as well as a large bedroom. There is a solid door that separates one area from the other.
The sitting room consists of a pull-out couch and chair; an office nook that includes a comforartable office chair and a midsized table doubling as desk and dining table. The sitting room also hosts a mini kitchen consisting of a sink, microwave, and fridge. There is a 27" TV and a chest of drawers in both the sitting room and in the bedroom. Lighting is adequate and easily accessible in all rooms.
The bedroom is large and has a roomy closet with full length mirrored panels, a soft, comfortable, king sized bed, full sized iron and ironing board, bedside tables and a seating nook. The windows are nice and the curtains are thick enough to block the heat and completely cover the windows.
Breakfast is a complementary buffet in the dining room, which consists of several seasonal fresh fruit choices (best oranges I have ever tasted), warm biscuits and gravy, an assortment of fresh breads, bagels, and cereals. Juice, milk, condiments (and real silverware) are standard. The resturaunt is open for lunch and dinner hours. The hotel serves the best 'Breakast on the Fly" I have ever encountered. (H2O, yogurt, granola bar, fresh apple, and a sweet)
A lovely pool, small spa, workout room, and elevator service are accessible for all guests.
Cons: Bathrooms are extremely small. It takes a little while for the AC to eradicate the heat in the rooms but once the temperature regulates, the AC has no trouble keeping up.
No wireless internet in suite; however, there are two computers in the foyer, connected to printers and internet for the guests' use.

Shabby and No Voice Mail!

by TripAdvisor Member BKSH

I booked this hotel through Hotwire. I was concerned once I found out about the reviews but was still hopeful. The room was shabby. Furniture was frayed as if attacked by a cat, stained and a chair had a hole in it. Carpet was stained. Drapes were old. My blanket had a hole. Beds were comfortable but that was the only redeeming factor. I booked the hotel for 12 days. I had to ask to have my sheets changed. My bathroom counter went 2 days without any cleaning at one point. I heard another guest ask for towels because they didn't leave any for him. Desk people are not knowledgeable about the area, cannot recommend restaurants, etc. Room air conditioning is extremely noisy and the bathrooms are very cramped. BUT, TO TOP IT ALL OFF, they charge 50 cents a minute for local phone calls AND the hotel has NO VOICE MAIL! The front desk is unable to take any messages either, for some reason.

Reasonable

by TripAdvisor Member dxz127

Got the hotel at an excellent rate of $35 a night from the priceline. Checkin was fast, staff not extra nice or helpful, but sufficiently proficient. Room clean, some wear on the furniture and the carpet. Housekeeping very efficient. Bathroom dark, but clean. Wireless internet working fine, requires a password available from the front desk - it's free. Suites have a small fridge and a microwave. They also provide cups, plates, and silverware.
I stayed for a week, and did not have any problems. Would return if the rate is similar. Location was fine for me, as I needed to be in the northern Scottsdale. It is about 20 min drive from Scottsdale shopping, mind that Scottsdale road is under construction in the fall of 2007 and traffic can get rather heavy.

mom's 60th birthday

by TripAdvisor Member barbiflys

Amazing, overly friendly service. It is in North Scottsdale near all of the Kierland shopping and restarants so we loved the location.
The staff bent over backwards to make our family reunion great. Would recommend if you need to be in this area of Scottsdale.

Great for the price - a few minor hiccups

by TripAdvisor Member FrequentBizTraveler

For the price, it was very nice. However, don't be fooled by the hotel's website comparing itself to a "resort". It's a nice hotel, but it's on small grounds surrounded by the Scottsdale airport and various airport-related businesses. The property itself is older, but very well maintained. My room was modern and spotless. The only two issues were that the front desk clerk initially assigned me to a room which had no yet been cleaned, then when she assigned me to another room, a housekeeper walked in on me without knocking to drop off a towel. Thankfully I was not in an embarassing state. For the traveler looking for nice, clean, reasonably priced accomodations in Scottsdale, this place fits the bill. But don't be under the illusion that you will be at a typical "resort" no matter what they call themselves.

Fun place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member poinciana

The rooms are spacious, the bedding top-quality, and best of all, the jacuzzi and pool area are open 24 hours a day! Check-in was easy and the staff seemed eager to please. 2 computers provide free internet access in the lobby. My only complaint would be that the bathrooms are a little cramped.

Thunderbird = nice choice

by TripAdvisor Member Anthonythecat

Nice hotel, great suites, older property but still very nice. An overall good value with good service.

The bedding was comfy, the suite was two rooms that were nicely outfitted. I'll stay there again for sure.

A row of architectural stylesA row of architectural styles

Trolley bus for pickupTrolley bus for pickup

Chad and I getting ready to kick the night offChad and I getting ready to kick the night off

Downtown Scottsdale, ArizonaDowntown Scottsdale, Arizona