El Portal Sedona

95 Portal Lane, Sedona, Arizona, 86336, United States

El Portal Sedona Hotel
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

• Breathtaking Beauty Awaits at El Portal Sedona

My stay at El Portal Sedona was beyond all my greatest expectations! The room was incredible, we stayed in #7 The Grand Canyon and it was truly Grand! The "beams" were tree trunks! Stunning! The view from our patio was so beautiful and peaceful.
    We spent the evening around the campfire chatting with a couple from California, enjoying a glass of wine and delicious appetizers! Breakfast was delectable - the best omelet I've ever had - it was stuffed with roasted red peppers, tomatoes, bacon and brie cheese - yum.... Steve, Connie, Terri and staff were hospitable and helpful. Thank you so much for taking such great care of us!
    We'll be back!

Unique Quality: Great views, very quiet and secluded, but within walking distance of shops and restaurants. Staff helpful and knowledgeable.
    Each suite is uniquel decorated, no two rooms the same. All have private entrance & patio. Access to pools, etc, not on site.

Directions: Downtown Sedona, across the street from Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Magical

I absolutely cannot say enough about this place...it was absolutely magical.

This place had just opened up when we went there in 2004...and we still vote it as the best place we've stayed. We ended up getting the Governors Suite...which was $495 a nite...and I couldn't believe we were spending that much...but it was worth every penny. It was a massive room...with a step area with large king size bed...and fireplace.

The service and hospitality were great...and it was within walking distance of great restaurants...and the food ...is INCREDIBLE!! We got our breakfast included with the rate of our room...and the breakkie alone was a great experience.

We also ended up reserving a night for dinner...and wow...we just couldn't get enough. They had CDroms to use...they had massage therapists available who come to room, views which overlooked the Red Rock...and endless opportunities for romance.

The whole trip to Sedona...is honestly...one of the best trips we've ever had ..around the world.

More about El Portal Sedona

Unbelievable!!

I arrived on a Monday afternooon after a long drive from the Phoenix airport. I was welcomed with opened arms and it didn't stop the whole time I was here. I literally became a part of their "family."

The "lobby" area is warm and inviting with soothing music and a comfortable sitting area. In the afternoon, their is delicious food for the guests to munch on with yummy lemonade to drink after a hot day of exploring in the hot sun (thanks to Eden the chef who will do anything for you.) I'm allergic to eggs and she bent over backwards to accomodate.

Lynda designed each room down to every detail and the rooms are amazing. I stayed in two of them. The second room, room #9, for example, has furnature made of found wood and blankets custom made in Europe based on ancient native designs. I think everyone should have a bathtub like the one in this room. It has a remote control with massage elements, etc. I didn't want to get out!

Steve and Connie are the owners along with Lynda. Steve and Connie have been married for a long, long time but look like and act like they are in their thirties! If only I had half of their energy! I love them and I can't wait until I come back to stay at their beautiful inn to see them as well as to enjoy their place. (at the moment steve has a gun to my head.......he told me to say that......just a joke!!!!)

I had a wonderful jeep tour with David one day. He was very nice and went the extra mile in more ways than one!

I'm leaving today, however, I'm buying a sleeping bag in town to sleep in the back. They don't know it yet but I'm not really leaving! They can't get rid of me yet!

From a very grateful new friend, Diane S. Thaler

Almost 100%

by TripAdvisor Member partycrasher

Some of the most beautiful finishings I have ever seen in a small Hotel. The construction is unique creating a very romantic "homey" feel. This place is a Bed and Breakfast Inn - most likely the best B&B in the States but it is NOT a Hotel! If you are expecting services similar to a Four Seasons you could be disappointed. They only serve a dinner on Friday & Saturday nights. When we were being shown our room the Hostess asked us (my wife and I) not to touch the walls in our room - I thought ---?? Is she my Mom? Am I going to get in trouble if I touch the walls? Also their website advertised that they would show old movies at night on their outside projection screen. We were eating a late dinner (Saturday Night) outside in the courtyard - great food - romantic ambiance - beautifull night. Almost a perfect setting to enjoy a old B&W movie while we sipped wine and ate desert, BUT, we were told 'no movie tonight' - too many noise complaints they say?? I thought again ---?? Like I said in my headline - ALMOST 100%

Fantastic place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member JamesWharton

We stayed at El Portal for four days in September and agree with all the superlative reviews. The inn look so good on the web that we were prepared to be disappointment, we were not. It far exceeded our expectations. The rooms are each unique and the staff friendly and helpful.

Someone recently commented that one should not expect the level of service you would find at the Four Seasons. I disagree. In comparing the five star hotels we stayed at and El Portal, the service at El Portal was superior They could not do enough to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. A wonderful inn with a caring and attentive staff.

We were not there on the weekend so we did not have dinner but we thought the barbecue was the best meal that we had in Sedona. On night we did eat at the Enchantment in as they put it "the restaurant with a dress code". It was very disappointing. We left most of the main course and did not stay for dessert.

A fabulous gem

Our stay at El Portal was magical! We really enjoyed our stay, and felt like we were in a :"home away from home". Steve and Connie and Lynda and their team went out of their way to make sure we were looked after... the BBQ dinner was great, the bistro dining and breakfasts were great, the family room/fireplance ambience was great, the rooms had so much character, and all of the suggestions for activities were perfect. We'll definitely be back to one of the most special spots we've discovered

El Portal must have stunned these reviewers senseless

Not sure where these other reviewers have stayed in the past or what they consider a luxury experience to be, but at over $300 a night, El Portal falls short on just about every amenity a luxury stay should have. One reviewer said it isn't a hotel, it is like staying at someone's home and they were right. It is like staying at your parent's house but being charged big $. Rooms and decorations were lovely, but pillows on bed had to be ancient as they were almost nonexistant when you used them. Robes supplied were scratchy and uncomfortable. Comp shampoos and lotions were the type you would see in Ramada Inn, not a luxury stay. Hotel help disappears (but can be contacted in emergency) by 9, so if you need anything, you'd better think of it quick. Lobby and courtyard fireplaces are turned off by 9. If this is a vacation spot, hotel staff should keep vacation hours. Who wants to go to sleep at 9 when on vacation? You are almost forced to when your hotel shuts down around you. Food stated on the menu was not what was served. Breakfast was over before we even woke up (who wakes up by 9 when on vacation?) If they are as accomadating as these other reviewers say, why not serve food any time and why not bring something up to the room if requested? A final disappointment was the location. Most luxury accomodations are not located in a parking lot next to a mall (albiet a lovely one). The view from our room was the same as the Motel 6 down the road. I'll bet they paid much less for it. On the plus side, Connie, Steve and Linda were lovely, warm people. Computer access in the lobby was useful, and availability of hot tea and coffee at all hours was nice. If you've got cash to waste and miss staying with mom and dad and NOT being pampered in a luxury establishment, go here.

unique luxury, artistic flair, endless resources & gourmet cuisine

In the modern world of chain hospitality, El Portal is a very unique and romantic luxury bed & breakfast that provides an exceptional experience. El Portal is for people who appreciate good taste at every turn and who notice detail. The more you have traveled, the more you will appreciate the unusual combination of the truely luxurious and the completly casual and comfortable.

The owners (Steve and Connie) are present throughout the day, every day. They offering unbelievable conversation and endless suggestions on almost everything. They both have exceptional backgrounds in travel and business and high-end vacations, and are happy at any time to discuss how they made their decisions when building their dream lodge in which you stay. One of the staff members (Dave) will take you on jeep tours, discuss what the area has to offer you, or make any number of suggestions or reservations for you for tours or meals or bike rentals or day hikes. A chef of incredible talent (and we are from Boston!) and a skilled wait staff ensure an outstanding dining experience everytime you choose to take a meal at the inn.

In this carefully designed, custom built historic hycienda-style lodge. Exquisite taste and planning clearly dictated every choice. Both the design and the decor are high end and unique. Look at the stone wine storage, the custom-made wrought iron gates, examine the fine bedspreads and the softest cotton sheets. Touch and really look at the furniture: all of which are antiques that the owners hunted for themselves. Stunning arts and crafts style tables and chairs and glassware are in every corner. Our room included a large carved wooden bed frame, the softest large leather chair, an old trunk, stunning tile work, copper sinks... take the video tour on the website! My husband and I have stayed in a number of delightful bed and breakfasts across the country, and El Portal is our favorite!

Loved the Place, Disliked the Owner

A friend and I stayed in El Portal after I found it on the Internet. I love staying at boutique hotels that are unique and El Portal certainly was beautiful. We stayed in 2 different suites and they were both gorgeous. What we both disliked intensely was the attitude of the owner, Steve. When you are paying over $350 a night for a room you expect to at least have help with your luggage to the car and be thanked for spending a $1000 at their establishment. We had neither after we checked out and found his attitude overall to be unwelcoming. On the way to Sedona we had stopped at the Inn of the Five Graces, which is also a $350 a night boutique hotel. The difference in service was night and day!! Everyone at that hotel made you feel incredibly welcome. For my money and vacation time, I'd go back to the Inn of the Five Graces over El Portal any day simply because of how we were treated.

A great weekend!

by TripAdvisor Member DaisyScottsdale_AZ

I contacted El Portal to arrange for several rooms for a surprise birthday weekend for my husband. Both Connie and Terri were very accommodating as cancellations were made then rebooked then rearranged again. The surprise was at dinner. All my guests were gathered at a beautifully set table when my husband and I came in. Both Connie and Terri were sitting in the room beaming from ear to ear to see the surprise! The food was excellent. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful, too. Everyone enjoyed.
In the afternoons, after touring, we'd sit in the lodge with a roaring fire while more and more scrumptious appetizers were served. A late afternoon nap in a very comfortable bed with very soft sheets made for a perfect prelude to dinner. We loved the decor and the location was just perfect so as to avoid "t-shirt alley" in Uptown. As Arnold said, "we'll be back".

Stephanie Bourassa