L'Auberge de Sedona

See Amenities

Surprised by bad tips

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend, off season so the rate for a cabin was $250.00. It was not super luxurious, but very clean, comfortable bed, wood burning fireplace, and the ultimate...an outdoor shower. The entire staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and although I have stayed in fancier places, there was a certain ambience in this place that captivated me. The grounds were beautiful, with the creek running behind our cabin. We also had an incredible brunch with a $30 credit included in the rate.

A lot of the rooms and cabins were being renovated so I wonder if the bad reviews might be corrected with the new rooms. I am very glad I didn't read them before I went there.

Unique Quality: Outdoor shower in the cabins
Cheerful service
Wood burning fireplace
Large room
Serene surroundings

Joe Mottershead is a jerk off!! Place is a DUMP!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 2, 2008

I stay at the best hotels all over the country for business and all of the best hotels internationally for pleasure. I chose l'Auberge because I thought its long reputation on Conde Nast Gold List would mean there would still be some quality there. WRONG.

We took a room in the Lodge, $250 which is reasonable for Sedona but very unreasonable when you consider the experience. The carpet in the room was frayed and filthy. Underneath the armchair and bed were wrappers, hairclips, and other miscellaneous trash, clearly vacuuming is not part of the housekeeping package.

We asked one staff member at the restaurant if they had a fitness center and if it was part of the spa, he just repeated "fitness center" with a dumbfounded look on his face. When I pressed and said, "you know a place where you can workout," he just shrugged nonchalantly and said "don't know." He was not foreign.

We went to the restaurant in mid-afternoon to make a reservation, the place was a disarray in the front with servers sitting all over the place counting up their money and ignoring customers such as ourselves walking in. I finally got a hold of the bartender/manager who said only 5:30PM and 8:30PM as only times available for restaurant reservations. We picked 8:30PM but we walked by the place at both 6:30PM and 7:30PM and it was EMPTY, not a soul inside or outside. Sorry, but a place does not have that many cancellations.

We asked if there was a swimming pool and the guy indicated that their "sister" property had a pool up the hill that we could use and that it was a "great workout" before going for a dive. So THERE is the fitness center I guess. We checked out the "sister" property - it was a trash dump.

They have a cocktail hour that runs one hour in the evening. We showed up right at the half way point to find a few measly crumbs of cheese and a couple crackers on a plate, the rest had been ransacked. I asked the attendant if they would resupply and he said the restaurant could not keep up. We had to wait another 20 minutes, and what they brought was some old stale tortilla chips. 10 minutes after that they brought a few cheeses out - YUM! Chips and goat cheese! What class and sophistication.

I called the General Manager on several occasions and he has not had the common courtesy to return phone call - if you cannot count on the head guy to take care of you, forget about it, this place is a DUMP!

Not Worth the Price!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 24, 2008

We felt as though the room did not warrant the price paid.
The couch and cushions were VERY stained in addition to the area rug, the coffee table had cigarette type burn marks all over it. The interior design scheme was extremly outdated. The TV was small and you could not order any movies directly to your room. I have stayed at many 3-4 star hotels, our opinion was that this was more in the 2 star range. We were very disappointed.

shrimp56's Profile Photo

A room with a view ...

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2002

The Orchards' Inn at L'Auberge de Sedona is a good choice if what you want is a view of the red rocks. That we had! Including the famous Snoopy Rock. It is a very comfortable modern inn with a southwestern theme!

Unique Quality: The views! From your room AND the swimming pool, which was much closer to our room than for the pricier accomodations down by the river.

Nearby L'Auberge de Sedona

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Sedona Travel Forum

Need advice about Sedona, Arizona? Visit the Travel Forum for Sedona and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sedona hotel reviews

Airport Mesa
Driving
The Red Rock Pass program
Favorites
Healthy, fresh, good and pet friendly
Tarantula!
"Lost Canyon" found!
Best sunset location!
Worth the wait
Restaurants
Best tea and lunch in Sedona!