301 L'Auberge Lane, Sedona, Arizona, 86336, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Surprised by bad tips

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend, off season so the rate for a cabin was $250.00. It was not super luxurious, but very clean, comfortable bed, wood burning fireplace, and the ultimate...an outdoor shower. The entire staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and although I have stayed in fancier places, there was a certain ambience in this place that captivated me. The grounds were beautiful, with the creek running behind our cabin. We also had an incredible brunch with a $30 credit included in the rate.

A lot of the rooms and cabins were being renovated so I wonder if the bad reviews might be corrected with the new rooms. I am very glad I didn't read them before I went there.

Unique Quality: Outdoor shower in the cabins
    Cheerful service
    Wood burning fireplace
    Large room
    Serene surroundings

• Joe Mottershead is a jerk off!! Place is a DUMP!

I stay at the best hotels all over the country for business and all of the best hotels internationally for pleasure. I chose l'Auberge because I thought its long reputation on Conde Nast Gold List would mean there would still be some quality there. WRONG.

We took a room in the Lodge, $250 which is reasonable for Sedona but very unreasonable when you consider the experience. The carpet in the room was frayed and filthy. Underneath the armchair and bed were wrappers, hairclips, and other miscellaneous trash, clearly vacuuming is not part of the housekeeping package.

We asked one staff member at the restaurant if they had a fitness center and if it was part of the spa, he just repeated "fitness center" with a dumbfounded look on his face. When I pressed and said, "you know a place where you can workout," he just shrugged nonchalantly and said "don't know." He was not foreign.

We went to the restaurant in mid-afternoon to make a reservation, the place was a disarray in the front with servers sitting all over the place counting up their money and ignoring customers such as ourselves walking in. I finally got a hold of the bartender/manager who said only 5:30PM and 8:30PM as only times available for restaurant reservations. We picked 8:30PM but we walked by the place at both 6:30PM and 7:30PM and it was EMPTY, not a soul inside or outside. Sorry, but a place does not have that many cancellations.

We asked if there was a swimming pool and the guy indicated that their "sister" property had a pool up the hill that we could use and that it was a "great workout" before going for a dive. So THERE is the fitness center I guess. We checked out the "sister" property - it was a trash dump.

They have a cocktail hour that runs one hour in the evening. We showed up right at the half way point to find a few measly crumbs of cheese and a couple crackers on a plate, the rest had been ransacked. I asked the attendant if they would resupply and he said the restaurant could not keep up. We had to wait another 20 minutes, and what they brought was some old stale tortilla chips. 10 minutes after that they brought a few cheeses out - YUM! Chips and goat cheese! What class and sophistication.

I called the General Manager on several occasions and he has not had the common courtesy to return phone call - if you cannot count on the head guy to take care of you, forget about it, this place is a DUMP!

• Not Worth the Price!

We felt as though the room did not warrant the price paid.
    The couch and cushions were VERY stained in addition to the area rug, the coffee table had cigarette type burn marks all over it. The interior design scheme was extremly outdated. The TV was small and you could not order any movies directly to your room. I have stayed at many 3-4 star hotels, our opinion was that this was more in the 2 star range. We were very disappointed.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

A room with a view ...

The Orchards' Inn at L'Auberge de Sedona is a good choice if what you want is a view of the red rocks. That we had! Including the famous Snoopy Rock. It is a very comfortable modern inn with a southwestern theme!

Unique Quality: The views! From your room AND the swimming pool, which was much closer to our room than for the pricier accomodations down by the river.

More about L'Auberge de Sedona

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Chet_P

You gotta see it to belive it. This was a excellent hotel, it is situated in a very peaceful setting. The Hotel is great, in every way the food was awesome. The view from the hotel was breathtaking. The staff at this hotel were unbelivable they made you feel at home and special. I liked it so much I booked rooms in the Feb for my family to celebrate wedding anniversary. Activites recommended by the hotel staff such as the pink jeep tour, hiking and star gazing was great. It made the trip worth while.

Great getaway, awesome location, good service

by TripAdvisor Member CubsfanChicago

We just got back from 4 nights in Sedona, staying at L'Auberge. We spend the first two nights in a lodge room, and the last at a creekside cabin. The lodge rooms were nice-very clean, comfortable bed, small deck overlooking the mountains and propertly. There are no closets, but an armoire with hanging capabilities on either side of the TV in the middle. While the bathroom was small, there was only two of us so it was fine. I liked the fact that I was up at 6am and could do down to a great cup of coffee, sit by either their wood burning fireplace in the lodge with a complimentary paper,or jump on the internet in their business center. They brought out wonderful scones every morning around 730am. There is a nightly turn down service with mints and water. They also have a nightly welcoming reception in the lobby with appetizers and complimentary wine. The staff was very accommodating, from Scott the manager, Graham the concierge, Marion, Svetlana, and the onsite "engineer" who rushed down at 10p to bring us extra firewood. This is a non-tipping location as you are charged a daily $20 service fee. That seems a bit high, but it is nice not having to wonder how much to tip the firewood delivery, or the housekeepers. The creekside cabin(#4) was fabulous. While a bit rustic, it was everything we wanted. Fireplace in room, a big comfortable bed, a sitting room in front of the TV and a spacious bathroom with great pressure. It was very relaxing to sit on the porch, listen to the rapids, watch the ducks and read a book. We requested and recieved a specific cabin location after speaking with Scott(manager). We had the spa package that included a $200 credit at the spa and $30 credit each day for breakfast. While expensive($40-$50 for two including coffee, juice), they were wonderul. We had the signature omelet, Belgian waffles, and almond French Toast. The staff was very attentive and were willing to help with any questions or requests. Graham, concierge has a great sense of humor, but very professional and personable. He was pouring wine at the "happy hour", talking to customers and talking about the area, restaurants, things to do..etc.

If you are a couple for a getaway, or honeymoom, or just want a very quiet and cozy spot where you are pampered, this is the place for you. We probably wouldn't come here with our kids(younger), only because they like a pool and there are none here.

Unique gem, very suitable to the area

by TripAdvisor Member knowlzy

We stayed for just 1 night in ladge room but absolutely loved it.
We stayed in winter and without leaves on tress, you could see the red rocks from everywhere on the resort.
Breakfast in the restaurant was GREAT, as was the duck feeding by creek.
I have nothing bad to say about this place.

FLAWED--AND OVERPRICED

by TripAdvisor Member SGB-DC

We really, really wanted to like this place since we had chosen to fly 2,000 miles to celebrate our 20th anniversary for 4 days.
And there were things to like--much of the staff, the gorgeous setting, and the room (creekside cottage) except for our inexcusably lumpy bed.
The problem seems to be that there are too few grownups around and although the staff tries hard, service is hit or miss at best. No one seems to talk to each other--that's esp true when it comes to the overpriced and pretentious restaurant.
To wit: it took 3 requests to fix our fireplace door, which was hanging by a thread. We never got anywhere asking for a new mattress or bedboard--the bed was one of the worst I've ever slept on and the sheets were wrinkled and dingy, inexcusable when you're paying $400 plus per night. They ran out of continental breakfast (incl) the first morning we were there leaving some angry guests milling around the lobby waiting for scones.
But the real downer was the fact that although we told them it was our anniv., and requested several days in advance a table w/a view dinner, we were stuck in a lousy table w/no view and then ignored by the hapless waiter and obnoxious wine steward.
It couldn't have been more different than our experience at lunch at Enchantment, where we WEREN'T staying and booked 24 hrs in advance,. The food, view and service there were spectacular. I wish we'd stayed there instead.
BTW, when I politely complained at checkout about how disappointed I was about the restaurant I was greeted with a sympathetic shrug. That seems to sum it up. Bottom line: don't waste your $$.

Greatly improved - Love this resort

by TripAdvisor Member TRVLPRO320

We were married on this property 10 years ago and went back for our anniversary. Under new ownership this property has blossomed. There is EVERY attention to detail. From the flower vases on the creekside walking path tables, to every amenity in the rooms, this is a MUST for anyone wanting a romantic getaway. The rooms have all been redone and are clean and very comfortable. The creekside cabins are pricey but worth it. Make sure you ask for a cabin facing the creek, otherwise you are sitting on your porch facing another cabin. Sedona traffic can be a nightmare, but from this resort you can walk up the hill and explore downtown Sedona on foot. They have wine and cheese in the evening which gave us a chance to mingle with other guests. We will definitely go back for future visits.

A spot away from the sun

by TripAdvisor Member Lovethecotttagegirl

I just got back from a week in Arizona that included several nights in a L'Auberge cottage, which had a lovely king-sized bed opposite a "living" area that had a comfy couch, chair and working fireplace. The "porch" had two chairs with cushions and a low table, and the bathrom was large and bright.

I almost tried to book a few more nights, just to stay there longer, and wish I did, even though I paid much much less when I left Sedona to visit other places in Arizona. I'm not much for cookie-cutter hotels, and while L'Auberge is a first-class resort, it did have a cozy feel to it, largely due its location by Oak Creek.

Reading some of the reviews here before I went, I did see that there were some complaints about gardenside cottages facing other cabins. It's valid. But I think if you know going in that that is possible -- i.e., you haven't decided to shell out for the cottages that overlook the creek -- then that is the wild card you must expect to play. From the photos on the resort's website, it is possible to think you are getting your own little garden, which isn't the case. So I guess I was disapponted about that.

What I got was a cottage that faced the back of another cottage with another cabin's porch visible from the side. Admittedly, I didn't sit out on the porch (which had two chairs with cushions) as much as I might have if I was by the creek, but the creek is just a short walk away, and I went there often, usually with a morning coffee they serve in the hotel lobby from 7 to 9 (with scones) or in the afternoon with a book. Of all the places I stayed in Arizona, L'Auberge was my favourite, largely because of its location and cozyness.

The way L'Auberge is situated -- a walk up a path and through the resort's sister property easily gets you to the main strip without having to get in your car (and the path is lit at night) -- you shouldn't expect to get a whole lot of Sedona's blazing sun in your cottage, especially if by the creek, even if the property itself does get sun.Sometimes that bothered me, but other times i thought this made for a nice respite from the blazing heat. If you want views of the red rocks, this isn't the place for you, though there is a great view from the pool the two properties share. There is a garden area up there that would be great for views, as pictured on the website, but when I visited none were there.

The housekeeping service was good, but not always 100% oriented to the little things, like leaving another room service card after I'd used the first one, putting new coffee/cream and sugar packets in the room.

I dined at the creekside restaurant a couple times, but while I was splurging onthe hotel I just couldn't do it for dinner. There are a couple great places off the main strip for sandwiches at about six bucks each, and which I'd recommend, are Memories (which seems to be a favourite with locals) and the Wildflower Bread Company. The hotel has a cockatail reception at 6 p.m. every night, which is a nice touch, but don't go looking a pop machine. They don't have one.

Overall I enjoyed my stay.

Comments