254 Highway 89 A, Sedona, Arizona, 86336, United States
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about The Orchards Inn of Sedona

Great views, so-so service

The Orchards Inn has the most fabulous red rock views from every room. That made up for the less than three-star service. This included a non-functioning soda machine which the manager would not refund money for, outdoor lights that didn't work outside the room, making it tough to put your key in the door at night, and cold water showers one day because they had to shut off the gas (due to a gas leak according to the maintenance man who came to turn it back on). My issue with the cold showers is that the didn't tell anyone they had turned off the gas. The continental breakfast was fine but I wouldn't recommend eating any other meals at their restaurant.

On the other hand, the location, in the middle of the tourist area is fabulous, the views are stunning and the property is linked to L'Auberge by a path (they are owned by the same owner) and you can wander around the beautiful creekside path on that hotel's property.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Orchards Inn

While its not the fanciest hotel I've been in, it was PERFECT for my needs while in Sedona! The view, alone, would have made it worth it! The room was clean and bright. The staff was friendly and helpful. When we asked for recommendations, they were knowledgeable. The location of the hotel was perfect for walking to restaurants and shops. I would definitely recommend this hotel to people traveling to Sedona.

Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member Mary42

While definitley not a four star hotel the Orchards is clean and you are getting great value compared to other hotel prices in Sedona. The view from our room was amazing and breakfast on the Terrace at L'Auberge was a wonderful way to start the day. Service was friendly and efficient.

Fine for the Price

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisSF

We stayed at the Orchards in mid-April 2006. We had read many of the TripAdvisor reviews and were unsure what to expect, because the reviews were all over the place. However, the price (approximately $169 per night through Expedia) was significantly cheaper than the various four-star resorts in Sedona, and we were not planning on spending too much time in our hotel room -- and didn't want too spend too much money either.

Check-in was a little odd because the receptionist (a woman) had trouble understanding arrangements we had made for early arrival (and we had even taken the trouble to pay for the previous night so that this would not be an issue, and then to call twice to make sure they understood we were arriving very "late" for that previous night's reservation). Once that was cleared up, though, we went straight to our room.

The room had a beautiful balcony view of red rocks, which was everything we had expected (and even more) from the hotel's website. The room was quiet, had a good bathroom setup (sink/vanity outside the WC/bathroom) and a mini-fridge and microwave. However, the decor was dated and there was no functioning high-speed Internet access (from our room, I could pick up a weak connection to the L'Auberge resort wireless network, but I could not get an authorization code to use it). Our biggest complaint: the two double beds felt small, and the mattressesses were not comfortable. They seriously need to replace the beds. Parking (as noted by other reviewers) is very tight, but we always eventually squeezed into a spot, although it required serious maneuvering and, in one case, a near-shouting match with delivery drivers whose trucks were blocking the lot. Another minor annoyance (as noted by other reviewers) is that night-time and early-morning desk service is provided by the desk at the adjoining L'Auberge property. Due to a "phone problem" (according to the L'Auberge staff), the phone at L'Auberge would ring and ring without an answer when we attempted to reach their front desk, until we would hang up and retry. This happened on two occasions.

We had dinner one night at the on-property Orchards restaurant, and although it is hardly a destination for fine dining, it was decent casual food with big strong drinks from the bar.

Considering that rooms at Enchantment, L'Auberge, or similar upscale properties would have cost twice as much, I do not feel that the Orchards is a bad place or a rip-off. However, it is a fairly basic motel in an expensive market. When we go back to Sedona, we'll probably stay at a resort-style property, or perhaps try some of the more modern chain motels that we saw while in town, which appear to be similarly priced but have more up-to-date amenities (such as high-speed internet).

Finally, in response to the mix of reviews, all I can say is that, with the right expectations, the Orchards is acceptable. We had a great time in Sedona, regardless of the minor issues we experienced. However, I do think that management could pay more attention to the property (both in terms of 24-hour staffing and bringing the property more up-to-date). Perhaps they figure that Sedona is a popular enough destination that they do not need heavy repeat business.

Not much else besides good view

by TripAdvisor Member PatrickJane

This place needs some work.

Parking lot is hard to maneuver with frequent delivery truck blockages though did manage to park every time. Good location right in the middle of uptown however.

Our bathroom could have used serious updating. How hard is it to replace a $3 shower curtain liner?? It also didn't help that it was not well cleaned. Bathroom setup is good with double sinks separated from the shower.

Lightning apparently hit the hotel the first night we were there which knocked out the phones and the computer system - certainly not their fault. But no one came around to tell us that. (Couldn't ring anyone about the missing remote control for our tv - eventually gave up.)

Yes yes great views of the red rock canyon, but it is Sedona and I'm guessing you could take your dollars elsewhere and also get a great view.

A couple of nights later we stayed at the Best Western (A Wayfarer's Inn) in Kingman, AZ and that place beat the Orchards Inn hands down.

If you have some standards, I strongly suggest you stay elsewhere. Though the $130 we paid is a deal in Sedona and it's fine if you accept that this is what you get for it.

Terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member genoaforever

We just came back from 4 days in Sedona, and we had to spend the last night of our trip in the Orchards Inn due to a misunderstanding with the Hyatt.
We were charged $149.00 plus taxes with the AAA special rate, we stayed in room #114. The A/C was not working, the temperature outside was 96F, the bathroom has mold in the bathtub area and we only had two large towels for 2 adults and 2 children. To enjoy the Red rocks view from the room, you have to sit in front of the entry door, with the people smoking and walking by.
The manager at the time, a lady that did not gave her name, she was completly uncooperative. I did not want any money back or special treatment, maybe an "I am sorry for the inconvenience was more than enough". but the lady could care less.
We would strongly recommend the Hyatt accross the street, a studio with a cooking area and a full size clean bathroom was only $20.00 more than the Orchards.
Forget about the Orchards, go to the Hyatt.

Mixed Bag

by TripAdvisor Member gdmattie

Overall, it's average. It really depends on your expectations. There are beautiful views from your balcony, however there are three levels and we were placed on the lowest level. There were some hedges and trees blocking some of our view of the valley. If you can, try to make sure you get the second or third level which will also get you a private balcony. The first level does not have a private balcony and everyone and anyone can walk past your room. The room was an acceptable size and average in cleanliness. I liked the fact that the vanity was outside the bathroom. The closet was small and had a refrigerator in it which made it smaller. The shower was my biggest issue - terrible unadjustable shower head and a plastic curtain that sticks to you. The water temp needed to be adjusted as they seemed to run out of hot water. The A/C was shut off but the weather was warm so our rooms were on the warm side. They turned the A/C unit on for awhile because people were complaining. The parking lot is very small and hard to find a place although we did ok. There is a trash bin near one end so if your rooms are near the trash bin you will hear it in the morning. I will say the location was ideal for walking around. Their restaurant is very good. So overall it was acceptable at best.

Great view and thats it!

by TripAdvisor Member 86gn

This hotel has awesome views and if you get a room facing the canyon, the one wall is almost all glass. As far as the good goes -- that's it

NOW THE BAD:
No parking! My wife and I went to dinner and came back to no parking spaces available. When I called the front desk (main desk is closed after 7) they told me to park on the street or wait until after 9 when the restaruant closed and some should become available.

Dirty dirty carpet. I read the review that one person had already mentioned this but I thought it might be that one room. Not! We basically wore our shoes when in the room. Also there was a large stain near the bathroom. I informed the front desk that this was pretty bad but they were booked solid. I inquired about getting my money back and they told me that I would get charged anyway! They DID NOT OFFER TO GIVE ME A REFUND or compensate me in any way.

The TV was a 13 incher?? I know the view is good but after dark when you can't see the view, I want to see a good TV for over $100 a night.

The toilet ran and one of the two sinks would not drain. No wireless internet.

Is that enough? I know this review sounds like a rant but I stand behind everything I am reporting here. It was almost comical. I did find another hotel but since I couldn't get a refund, we just stayed that one night there.

There are cheaper and cleaner hotels with plenty of parking, the same view, big TV's, wireless internet and personel that guarantee you satisfaction with your stay. (see Cedars resort or Best Western). both of the other hotels let me see a room (so I could compare because I was going to move us from the Orchards).

Thanks

Good and Bad

by TripAdvisor Member SC4RC

Sedona is an amazing place and a unique experience. Unfortunately this has led to overpriced accomodations, dining, and tours. The hotel has a great location in the middle of downtown. You can walk to lots of restaraunts and shops on the block. The rooms have incredible views of the red rocks, but they leave a lot to be desired. The hotel is a sister resort of L'Auberge, but it's more like the red-headed step child. My son, 9 mos. old at the time, had his knees blackened by the dirt from the carpet he was crawling on in the room. The TV was small, but I wasn't really there to watch TV. The parking situation is horrendous. There are too few spaces to share between the hotel, a jeep touring co., and the property restaurant.

I paid $99/night through AAA which was a deal considering your other options.

Lacks everything but a view

by TripAdvisor Member maggie67

We just returned from a three night stay in Sedona. The location of this hotel in uptown Sedona was extremely convenient and the views of the red rocks was beautiful. However, those are the only highlights. Our room was not clean--- the toilet bowl was clean, but the rest of the tank was gross and filthy. We expected that there would be a vcr/dvd in the room, but were told they could get on from thier parent company, L'Auberge for a rate of $9 per night. We decliined. We paid $209 per night- for a 3rd floor king - supposedly the AAA rate. When I questioned this and showed them the AAA book that indicated a rate much lower, I was told that this was high season- even though our friends were booked at a AAA rate of $129 on the 2nd floor. We also had difficulty with the parking- too few spaces for the hotel, retaurant and tour jeeps. The next time we go to Sedona, we'll take our business down the street to the Best Western Arroyo.

Comments