203 N. Garden Avenue, Sierra Vista, Arizona, United States
Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Sierra Vista

Mural inside the roadhouseMural inside the roadhouse

Carr Canyon RuinsCarr Canyon Ruins

Carr CreekCarr Creek

Carr CabinCarr Cabin

Moving to Fort Huachuca

by tara23

My husband and I are moving to Huchuca in December, I am just curious if this town is really as dead boreing as I am expecting. I would also like to attempt to meet a few locals in the area, is there a chat room available or are any of you locals crazy enough to meet a person who feels like she is going into exile lol. I am a HUGE fan of deserts in general, so no matter how bad the place is I am sure to find a million interesting things.... I see the last post was in 2003 lol, is anyone still out there reading these?

Re: Moving to Fort Huachuca

by bocmaxima

I don't know that you'll find locals on here, but I'm fairly close and can tell you about the town.
It's certainly not the worst place to be. It's actually more in a high desert area so it's sort of brown grass. There are mountains nearby (Huachucas) that offer a lot of really striking beauty, especially Ramsey Canyon. You've got Arizona's wine country down the road in Sonoita and Elgin (great weekend excursion), Bisbee about an hour away, Tucson about an hour away, Tubac and Nogales about an hour away and plenty of other outdoors stuff like 4x4'ing, hiking, horseback riding and hunting is right outside of town. Birding is also really big at certain times of the year. The Chiricahua Mountains, somewhat famous in this region, are also fairly nearby.
The University of Arizona also has a full-fledged satellite campus in town ("UA South") so you can actually pursue a degree or just take classes (there's also a community college).
Sierra Vista's actually a pretty big town and has a mall, a lot of restaurants and shopping, although mostly chains. It's usually cooler than Tucson in the summer though but still never gets very cold in the winter and very rarely gets any snow.
As for things to do, you won't be alone necessarily. The base has quite a few social groups and events for army families, so look for those. The people I've met who have spent time there have always spoken highly of it.
Hope that helps.

Re: Moving to Fort Huachuca

by tara23

THanks luv, this was actually really helpful! I was so worried, I am a huge nature buff so I am thinking I will get a lot out of Arizona, I'm sure I can find a lot to take up my time. I really do appreciate the informative reply, and will take it all into perspective. Unfortunate that I can't get the chance to meet locals. Can't track down any chat rooms or anything.

Travel Tips for Sierra Vista

Kartchner Caverns,

This is...

by sargentjeff

Kartchner Caverns,

This is one place I never was able to get to, but should have. I know several friends who went and recommended I should go. I'm just posting this so that you are aware that it's here if you are a cave fan and are in the area.

Address
P.O. Box 1849
Benson, Arizona 85602
Information (520) 586-4100
Reservations (520) 586-CAVE
Directions
The park is located nine miles south
of I-10, off State Hwy 90, exit 302.
Park Hours
The park is open 7 days a week.
7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Cave tours: 8:40 a.m. to 4:40 p.m.

Closed Christmas Day.

Fees
Entrance per car $10.00
(4 people per car/$1.00 each additional) -
Price includes entrance into Discovery Center, park grounds, hiking areas, picnic areas, and amphitheater
$20 per night camping fee (includes hook-ups)

Cave Tours
Under 6 years of age - free (ticket required)
7-13 years of age- $6.00*
14 years and older - $14.00*

*includes reservation charge of $2.

Kartchner Caverns is home to:

the longest soda straw formation in the U.S. (second longest in the world) 21 feet 2 inches
(Throne Room)
the tallest and most massive column in Arizona, Kubla Khan: 58 feet tall (Throne Room)
the world's most extensive formation of brushite moonmilk (Big Room)
the first reported occurrence of 'turnip' shields (Big Room)
the first cave occurrence of 'birdsnest' needle quartz formations
many other unusual formations such as shields, totems, helictites and rimstone dams.

Murray Springs: Mammoth Kill Site

by Basaic

At this site, archeologists found evidence of Clovis People hunting a large female mammoth. The layer of soil indicated that the hunt occurred during a time of drought when the hunters could lay in wait near watering holes. Several Clovis Points were found here too, giving testimony to the epic battle fought.

Ramsey Canyon: Stop 4 Fruit Trees

by Basaic

Early settlers in the canyon raised apple, apricot, cherry, peach and plum trees here. Most of these trees are gone now, because the area was taken back over by the native vegetation. Here you see the remains of an apple tree. The small holes you see are from Red-naped Sapsuckers inserting their beaks to find insects trapped in the sugary sap.

Great Town in Southeast Arizona

"History and Demographics"

Big news in Sierra Vista, we got a Super Walmart!

Under Construction

"Area Attractions (Cochise County)"

Attractions near Sierra Vista include:

Chiricahua National Monument (see my page)
Fort Bowie National Historic Site (page coming soon)
Coronado National Monument (see my page)
Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park (see my page)
Kartchner Caverns State Park
San Bernadino National Wildlife Refuge and Texas John Slaughter Ranch (see my Douglas page)
Cochise Stronghold (will be on my Pearce page soon)
Historic Ghost Towns like:
Fairbank/Presidio Santa Cruz de Terrenate (see my page)
Charleston (see my page)
Contention (see my page)
Millville (see my Charleston page)
The Murray Springs Clovis Site (included on this page)
Lehner Mammoth Kill Site (see my Palominas Page)
Leslie Canyon and Whitewater Draw Wildlife Refuges (see my McNeal Page)
San Pedro House (included on this page)
Ramsey Canyon Wildlife Preserve (included on this page)
Historic Fort Huachuca (included on this page)
Historic Tombstone (see my page)
Historic Bisbee (see my page)
Historic Douglas (see my page)
Apache; Benson; Dragoon; Hereford; Huachuca City; McNeal; Naco; Palominas; St. David; Willcox (see my pages)

Comments