1333 Rural Rd, Tempe, Arizona, 85281, United States
FourPoints.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

More about Four Points by Sheraton Tempe

Nice room, motel atmosphere, poor location if attending convention in Phoenix

by TripAdvisor Member APezz

We booked this hotel for a convention in Phoenix. It was billed as being on the light rail system, but it's approx. a 25 minute ride to the convention center, and a 10 minute walk to the rail stop on busy roads in the dark of early morning.
The lobby was disappointing. However, our room was renovated and very nice. No views.
They lost our reservation (made through Starwood and confirmed via email), but it worked in our favor as we received a much cheaper rate.
We decided to leave after two nights as it felt like a motel in the middle of nowhere. I needed to be at the rail stop around 6:10 a.m. to get to seminars by 7 a.m.
Nothing good within walking distance.

Exceeding Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member yuccatree

We took a family trip in Jan. and chose this hotel due to it's conveinant location to the downtown Tempe area. What we didn't expect was how nice this hotel is from the newly remodeled room to the resort style pool. The bathroom in our room was beautiful and we were pleasantly suprised with the great plasma T.V. For the price and brand this hotel completely exceeded our expectations.

Not at all what I expected

by TripAdvisor Member BigJimFLNY

I was in town for the racquetball national championships this week and this was a recommended hotel. The reviews on TripAdvisor have been generally favorable so I gave it a go. I normally do not stay at this type of place, but one or two FourPoints that I have been to in the past have been nice.

This hotel is a converted old motel 6 or equivalent. The place is old... I mean old. The renovation was done with speed and cost in mind, not guest comfort. Furniture may look nice, but it is nearly all impractical, uncomfortable, and already showing wear.

The front desk was staffed by one young (very young) man who was basically running the entire show. He was unfriendly and rude at times. It took me four attempts to get him to speak with me on the phone upon arrival. I was repeatedly placed on hold for extended periods of time. The airport shuttle took 45 minutes to get me once I finally got through. The hotel is NOT close to the airport as advertised. It was cold in my room and despite the heat being blasted at full speed, it never got warm.

The rooms may have been renovated, but the linens were not. Towels were threadbare and a bit useless to the touch. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone expecting a 3-4 star hotel.

Unexpected Bikini Contest

by TripAdvisor Member wielersonwheels

We were the unexpected "quests" at the Tempe 12 Bikini Contest held at the Sheraton at the end of February. Luckily we're pretty good sports, because the hotel pool and lobby were filled with about 300 drunken college kids. Our pool side room was very nice, modern decor. Great front desk service.

The best part of this hotel is it's location. Walked across Arizona campus to the Tempe downtown with lots of great restaurants (about 1.5 miles one way).

We enjoyed our stay, had our poolside "relaxation" on Saturday afternoon and called it a great experience.

Motor Inn on Steroids - NOISY - close to ASU and Spring Training

by TripAdvisor Member opieluvCA

This place reminded me of an old motor inn that has been totally fixed up to fit the standards of a Sheraton, but barely. The hotel staff was amazingly gracious both before and after our visit and they went out of their way to accommodate us, so if I could have given this hotel 5 stars, just based on service alone, I would have.

Here is why I brought it down a notch: My biggest complaint was the noise. OMG!!! You can hear EVERYTHING your neighbor says in addition to anyone walking down the hallways or closing their doors. There is about a 2 inch gap between the floor and the bottom of the hotel room door which lets in a lot of sound, including drunk people wandering around at 2 a.m.! And when your neighbor's phone rings and they have a converstaion, you get to hear it all! Bring earplugs if you plan to stay here! Probably the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in.

As you walk down the hallway, you can see where they have attempted to cover the pipes and such, but in reality, it just looks like an old hotel or dorm that has been completely refurbished. Again, I am not sure what this building's purpose was when it was built or if they meant to make it look this way, but it isn't a plush hotel by any means and I can imagine that the hallways are very hot in the summer. We used the stairways a lot because the elevators were so far from our room. And the ice machine on our floor had a sign on it that said "Out of service" so we went down to the 3rd floor and that machine had a sign on it that said "Out of order - use 2nd floor machine" which would have been nice to post on the 4th floor as well!!!

This hotel has NO spa or jacuzzi to relax in, at least as far as we could find. We tried and it would have been a huge plus, but none was listed and the pool was just a pool. Looks like if you get a room facing the pool on the ground floor, you could have quite a bit of fun with friends though as it is literally, right there.

The room seemed very clean and well decorated. Think IKEA-style and you will know about the decor. The bathroom has a door that does not open or close as you would expect, but slides to cover the opening. Not a pocket door, but one on "wheels" that hangs in the entrance area. This is because the bathroom is extremely small and right next to the entrance so you cannot have a door open into either space. And if you have two people you cannot both be in the bathroom together unless one is in the shower! Nice water pressure and decent shower though - no tub. However, when getting ready in the a.m., if I needed to dry my hair or use the mirror for anything, I HAD to be in the bathroom as there are NO other mirrors in the room, ANYWHERE. And the spot in front of the mirror/sink is right next to the toilet, so it is tight quarters even for one person.

If you want to be close to ASU or go to a few spring training games, you can't beat this location. You are surrounded by the campus and the baseball stadiums are within a 15-20 minute drive. Also, there are grocery stores and numerous eateries very close by. You could probably walk to the "Applebees" or "3 Margaritas" down the street, and there is a Taco Bell, a Wendy's and a McDonalds all within 200 yards of the front doors of this hotel. VERY food convenient if you aren't looking for fancy stuff.

We had breakfast downstairs which was EXCELLENT and our server, Miranda, was just absolutely wonderful!!! We ordered off the menu instead of having the $11.95 hot buffet ($5.95 for cold) because you get A LOT of food for your money. The All-American breakfast had two eggs, toast, a breakfast meat and coffee or juice - all for like $6.95. It was also beautifully presented and tasted great. There is a Seattle's Best coffee stand right in the lobby.

Overall, I gave this hotel 4 stars because they really do try, but if you are susceptible to noise or you prefer a more upscale accommodation, this may not be the place for you. I would likely choose to stay in Phoenix next time for nicer accommodations as pretty much everyone we met said that their hotels in Tempe were not over the top either.

If you like old Holiday Inns...This is the place...

by TripAdvisor Member Vol_Traveler

While this hotel is located convenient to ASU, it's not even close to the standard you should expect for the price. This is an old Holiday Inn. The corridors are long and noise carries down the halls. The place has been spruced up in an attempt to cover up. The rooms do have large panel TV's, the beds are comfortable. The internet connection is not business class. But, when all is said and done...this is an old Holiday Inn. Service was marignal. I had a billing problem and made several attempts to resolve. Managment has not attempted to call me back...poor service. I would not stay there again.

Whatta Dump!

by TripAdvisor Member danielbeez

Sheraton should be embarrassed to have its name on its place. I don't know its history, but its ambience is of an old roadside motel. The lobby is very nice. However, we go to our first "poolside" room, and it overlooks a very busy road. The room was very, very noisy, and given that the road was at least 100 yards away, this shows that the owners have not investment in good noise stifling windows. We moved to another room, next to a side street (all they had), not as noisy, but still too noisy, and again an indication that the owners need to invest in noise abatement.

Meanwhile, two oddities about the room: first, no closet, but instead a rather awkward armoire. Second, nowhere to hang towels, instead they have cheap baskets holding the towels under the sink.

Now to the most significant complaints. The air conditioning was terrible. It was extremely loud, and made the room quite cold immediately when we turned it on. As soon as we turned it off though, the room got hot again.

Second, hot water was intermittent, and usually there wasn't any, just lukewarm water.

Also, the carpet in the elevator was very dirty, and in general the hotel didn't seem very clean.

On the plus side, the bed was comfy and the breakfast was decent. And it has a great location.

Anyway, we're not very fussy about hotels, but there was no way we were going to keep spending $125 a night for the equivalent of an old Days Inn with a nice lobby. So we moved 10 minute away to the Doubletree near the airport, a beautiful hotel for less money.

Sorry – this hotel did just not do it for me.

by TripAdvisor Member AK-UK

Sorry – this hotel did just not do it for me.

I have no idea why, but when I made the reservation it somehow gave me a Handicapped accessible room. I’m no novice to making reservations so I have no idea why I got this room, but it was not really ideal. There was no side to the bath which while ideal for someone in a wheelchair, it was redundant to me. It was also on the 1st floor, I always prefer a high floor. Upon check in I asked if I could change, they said they had nothing else available. I have no proof otherwise but I can’t help but feel it was more a case that they couldn’t be bothered changing as against not having anything. I was in town for a conference, normally at these events I like to soak my feet on a night. I could not do this in a bath with no sides.

I know it’s not totally the hotels fault, but it was VERY noisy on a night. I think a young crowd getting back to the hotel from the local bars had little respect for others in the hotel. I would have liked to have seen someone from the front desk ask them to respect the other guests and keep the noise down. Every night was noisy, at all hours. I stayed four nights, every night I was woken up at around 1 – 2 in the morning.

I had read about how great the shuttle van was for taking people about town. I used it once to get from the airport to the hotel, it took around 20 minutes to arrive. I have no issue with this, I just wanted to let everyone know it comes upon request and takes 15 – 20 minutes. On an evening when I asked about the shuttle taking us somewhere I got a distinct impression that it was too much trouble. I did push one evening and it took me into town. Rather than call them to pick me up I felt it easier to get the train back.

To conclude, as I stated to start with, the hotel did just not do it for me. I felt they did not want to do anything over and above as most other hotels gladly do.

A few sides notes. The hotel was very clean, especially the floor of my bathroom as water went everywhere every time I had a shower. The common areas, lobby etc were all clean. The bar was quite expensive, $6.00 for a bottle of Miller Lite. When I made the reservation I asked how accessible the hotel was to the light rail system that would take me into Phoenix. I was told a few blocks away over the phone. I asked the shuttle van driver as he took me from the airport to the hotel, he was unsure and estimated it would take 45 minutes to get downtown. I asked up on check in, they revised the time to approximately 35 minutes. For the record, it’s a ten minute walk to the train station, depending on the time of day it takes 30 – 35 minutes to the conference center. It was actually very easy to use and worked well.

In the heart of Arizona State University

by TripAdvisor Member The_Duluth_Kids

Very well-appointed room- flat screen TV, nice furnishings, great bedding & wonderful pillows. The hotel access is on a main street (Rural Rd and Apache Blvd) which can be difficult to access.

The lobby was the most useful one I'd ever seen, and trendy to boot. I would definitely stay here again. The only problem we had was with the ice machines- the one on our floor didn't work well, and going to another floor we discovered the problem again. Probably too many college kids have stayed here!!

Great budget hotel very near to Ariz State Univ

by TripAdvisor Member jdjhughes

Stayed here for the weekend when we flew in for an ASU football game. I usually have huge problems with renovated hotels (it used to be a Holiday Inn) but this one did a pretty good job. While there were some problems; old elevators, poor view, etc. Overall the property was clean, nice and had everything you need for a short trip. If you want to be near ASU its the best one in the area. Rooms were comfortable and clean and had nice bathrooms.

Man and his dog, Kiwanis Lake, Tempe, ArizonaMan and his dog, Kiwanis Lake, Tempe, Arizona

The steps to start your tripThe steps to start your trip

60 Foot "A"60 Foot "A"