Sheraton Phoenix Airport

Orbitz.com Sheraton.com Expedia.com

More about Sheraton Phoenix Airport

Water woes

by TripAdvisor Member DenL42

There's a river that runs through Arizona called the Agua Fria. That'd be a good description of the Sheraton Phoenix Airport when my wife and I were there for a night on Nov. 8.

We were told when we checked in that the hotel was having problems with its water heaters, and there may not be any hot water available at any given time. In addition, we were told the water would be turned off from 9 to 11 a.m. the next morning to work on the problem.

OK, regarding the water heater - stuff happens. But to shut off the water at 9 a.m. was inexcusable. Why not in the afternoon or the middle of the night, when few or no people would be taking showers?

My wife's shower was icy cold; mine was hot to lukewarm. We got up earlier than anticipated just so we could take showers at all.

The pool and hot tub also were icy cold. I always thought hot tubs generated their own heat, but I guess not. Either that, or it was just broken. Either way, that was a big disappointment.

Other than that serious issue, the stay was mostly perfunctory. The lobby was quite stylish, and the desk clerk was helpful and friendly. The room was run-of-the-mill, apart from the always-awesome Sweet Sleeper bed.

The location is good. We arrived after 10 p.m. but never felt we were in danger, due to the office-park location; the reviewers below must just be scared of the dark. The Club Level lounge was nice, as was the free continental breakfast, which also included waffles.

But I really do feel we should have been offered a discount from the somewhat steep rates due to the water issues.

Mixed review

by TripAdvisor Member travelbabelv

I recently spent one night at the Sheraton Phoenix airport. I must say I have a mixed review. Upon checkin (10:00pm) there was only one employee at the front desk so I waited around 15 minutes to check in even though I am Starwood gold and was the only person in the "gold" line. (Minus) I asked for a quiet room and was given a room on the second floor facing inward. (Plus) Upon entering the room I immediately smelled cigarette smoke (Minus) Housekeeping should have found this.(Sheratons are all non smoking now) I picked up the phone, called the desk and the front desk person quickly apologized and said he would send up someone immediately with a key to a new room. (Plus) (Very nice, not making me come back down). About 30 seconds later, the hotel's smoke alarm rang and we all had to go outside. I still had my large rolling suitcase in hand and someone helped me get it down the stairs. When outside I realized there was a large group of high school kids staying at the hotel while on a school tour. After it was OKed we went back inside (the alarm was thought to be pulled by one of the kids).

So now at the hotel for over 30 minutes...still no room, still rolling big bag, go to front desk to get a key and there are approximately 30 kids plus other travelers standing in front of the desk and they have all left their rooms without keys and are locked out. (Alarm pull not hotel's fault, but the fact it was so disorganized afterward was.) Manager, etc all trying to help them. I stand there for another 10 minutes then decide to just go wait it out in the bar/lounge. After 10 minutes in the lounge, havent' been waited on(evidently the only waitress has called in sick and bartender is alone) so back to front desk and get a new room key. Finally, Key in hand head for elevator. Elevators still not functional from fire alarm. ( it had gone off several more times for a few seconds each.) Can't carry bag up stairs so go back to lounge. The lobby lounge area is nice, open and clean. (plus) Bartender very nice, but swamped. Finally got wine and he forgot about my food order, but once ordered it came quickly and was good.

Finally at 11:15pm (after arriving at 10) I get on the elevator and head to my room. Granted I did spend time in the lounge, but only because I could not get to my room. The quality of the room was in my opinion less than most of the Sheraton's I have visited. It was clean and had upgraded bedspread, mattress,curved shower curtain, etc. but the hotel is obviously older and only "parts" of the room seem to have been remodeled. The second room I received was on the freeway side of the hotel and was noisy. It was definitely not worth the price...$249 for a Sunday night. (minus...even with Phoenix prices). Basically the hotel was nice, staff was very nice, but not worth the money. The location is "near" the airport, but took me over 15 minutes to get to the rental car return facility to return my car before my early flight. There are no restaurants within 3 miles (asked manager about food upon check in). There are probably better airport options for the money and I don't know why anyone would choose this location for other than airport...there are so many choices in Phoenix.

Uncommonly great service

by TripAdvisor Member howboutit

I stayed here for a conference and was extremely impressed with the service, which was much better than I've had at 4 and 5 star hotels. Every request I had - to change rooms, make 20 copies, borrow a pair of scissors, etc,- was swiftly and cheerfully handled. I noticed they treated other customers just as courteously. The hotel and rooms were incredibly clean as well.

A motel is better!

by TripAdvisor Member Ms.NatalieB

Where do I start?

I will start with the good...We got a great deal $85 a night on their preferred guest floor. We had a friends and family rate. This floor has free breakfast and happy hour which was great. Thats it for the good. And, the location was pretty good too.

Now for bad. When we arrived and checked into our room. It smelled of smoke. They didnt have anymore king sized beds so we had to stay in a room with 2 doubles for the night and the next night we switched into a room with a larger bed. Fine, no big deal. We went to the pool twice during our stay. Both times, there were no towel and we had to ask for towels at the front desk. The second time we asked for towels, one of the guys gave us two hand towels. Now for what we think it the "best part". We asked around for where was a good place for night life. We asked two different people and the told us downtown Tempe. Sounds great. So we ask for them to call us a taxi. As we were driving down to the hot spots....we followed a Sheraton shuttle that left our hotel and went to the exact same place we did. They had a free shuttle to where we wanted to go that no one told us about.

The rooms were very average and we were so happy we did not pay the full rate. Im not even sure it was worth $85. Holiday Inn may could be better.

Good value if purchased through Hotwire

by TripAdvisor Member Chickenbiscuit

Not a bad value/stay at a Hotwire price, but a bit difficult to manage at full-rate. A little dodgy in the back and in need of better outdoor security lighting. A renovation wouldn't hurt this Sheraton either. Clean room, pricey Internet, beds decent, friendly check-in. Again, we were happy to get a Hotwire rate during baseball training season, but a room in this hotel priced higher would be a mistake, in my opinion.

Quite a nice room

by TripAdvisor Member Deubster

Booked 2 nites (5-17 to 5-19) thru Priceline ($42/nite+tax&fees=$108 total) when a business trip got extended. There's good & bad here. Hallways are dingy, dark, depressing. The room was very nice - large, clean, nice bed (Sweet Sleeper). Furnishings were nice also - especially enjoyed a comfortable chair with ottoman for watching TV & reading. Internet was $9.99/24 hrs, but 3 new computers in lobby are free. Parking is free. Pool is wonderful, very large - but pool guest noise is noticeable in the room. Bath amenities are OK (Pantene shampoo & conditioner, decent soap, fairly large and thick towels). I can understand complaints about the back lot, park in front - there's plenty of room, you just walk a bit further. Hated the bathroom sink - it was in a corner, so there was very little counter space, awkward to use mirrors on the sides, and need to be fairly tall to use without effort. Shower was nice, but strange mechanism for controlling flow/temperature. No mini-fridge. Hair dryer, iron, and ironing board, 3 phones (desk, bedside, bathroom). Easy to get on/off interstate. Public areas all looked very nice, but didn't try the restaurant or bar. All in all, I enjoyed staying there because the room was large and furnishings were very comfortable. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Just a Terrible Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PlanetR

Our flight was cancelled so the airline made us a reservation here for one night to catch a very early morning flight. The only good thing was the hotel was free. The place looks like a motel. The room was standard size, dingy looking. Most uncomfortable bed ever. If one person moved it would wake the other up. The bathroom had barely any space to set toiletries down. The counter so small that they stored the hairdryer in the dresser??? We returned our rental car the evening before to save time in the morning. They told us to call and a shuttle would pick us up at the terminal at a specific location. We waited 45 minutes and made 3 phone calls to the hotel before the incompetent driver picked us up. When we entered the room 2 lights did not work, turns out housekeeping unplugged them. We were short on towels and had to ask twice before they delivered them. The front desk was incompetent and made us wonder how this place stays in business. Oh, it was over 100 degrees and the pool was shut down for repairs. Not returning to this dump.

basic pull up motel with a hyped up name

by TripAdvisor Member Zypcio

A basic "pull up" motel with a hyped up name, the Sheraton isn't a terrible choice for a quick nite in the sack but neither does it provide tired guests w/ a "comfort home" appeal. Check in is incompetent, slow, mechanical and did not state any pertinent info (shuttles, where to eat, etc).

Located in a dark, hard to find industrio-business-type alley by a loud, busy freeway, it isn't much to write home about, esp the lack of warmth or service. Snob factor is high, since they look at you if you don't look like a "up end guest" who wears a suit. Most of the hotel is empty except a few clowns drinking in the lounge so everyone "looks" at you, which is annoying.

Rooms are clean & comfortable. Bathrooms have space, showers nice.

Check out time is atrocious because it is noon. I didn't get any sleep since I arrived after 12am and it took 25 minutes to actually Check in, one other person in line at 1am.

Noise from pool guests & pool generator is a problem. Loud trucks from freeway are annoying as well.

Be careful around the desolate back & side of hotel, as it is dark & potentially dangerous late at night.

I wouldn't waste the money on this place again since it's cheaper at some motel.

In all, a basic to below average place to stay if departing from Phoenix Airport.

Bottom feeder

by TripAdvisor Member rkgood

This place is one minor level above being a 'dump'. So, I make my reservation with the requirement that I be near the pool, swimming being very important to me, a health requirement. Ten days later I check in and learn the pool has been under construction for weeks and is nowhere near completion. No pool. In Arizona!

Then, the room. Soiled carpet, no iron, no notepads, crummy wall plugs.

Then again the restaurant. Hmmm, many things on menu not available, everything closes down at 9:00 pm (at an airport restaurant!!!!).

OK, maybe they have their reasons, Yes, and some friendly staff. But at the end of the day a crummy value. Just before coming here I stayed at a Days Inn. Nice pool, everything in room perfect, free breakfast...one/third the price. This is just another example of how far down Sheraton has gone.

Nice Atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member CY83

The atmosphere is very good. The staff was excellent and we really felt welcome. They had some work done in the hotel but we did not hear a thing. The room service was above average.

A Wonderful Day in Tempe - May 17, 2009A Wonderful Day in Tempe - May 17, 2009

The first difficult scrambleThe first difficult scramble

Hayden's Butte FloraHayden's Butte Flora