Artist's Suite

DinosaurDinosaur

SculptureSculpture

B&Bs in Tubac Area?

by JonL.

Can anyone recommend a bed and breakfast in the greater Tubac area?

RE: B&Bs in Tubac Area?

by ProjectAware

Where is Tubac??

Re: B&Bs in Tubac Area?

by daddio54

Not sure about Tubac but I'm sure there are... but when we visit AZ we always stay in Tucson at http://www.zarzuela-az.com .Ever since the first stay there.. "several stays ago" be became addicted to the La Zarzuela's experience.. and don't care to explore for other B&Bs. We don't mind the 45 min ride down to Tubac (where our property is) It is central to Tucson and points of interest N,S E and W and an easy drive to the Tucson airport.
But we will hang our hats someday in Tubac!
D

Travel Tips for Tubac

Silver-turquoise ring

by matcrazy1

Strolling around Tubac with its Presidio (Spanish fortress) and over 90 shops, galleries and boutiques is like walking around art and history museum. You easily find a lot of beautiful art of four different cultures which influenced that area: Native American, Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo-American, both modern and old style art. I think, this unique, creative and old community has its own soul. It's a must see whenever you get to southern Arizona.

My foundest memory is a large silver-turquoise ring my wife bought in Tubac and quite often wears it until now. Whenever I look at her hand with this ring I have to remember Tubac, Arizona and the USA. Sweet memories :-)

Both silver and turquoise are local materials in southern Arizona. Tubac once was the largest city in Arizona thanks to nearby silver mines. The Southwest United States, including southern Arizona, has been a significant source of turquoise since pre-Columbian times.

Patagonia and watching wildlife

by matcrazy1

Patagonia is a little, lazy southern town (pop. below 900) where I stopped for a while driving Route 82 from Nogales towards Tombstone. Well, I noticed only a few stores, gas station and restaurant/bar along the main road. Hmm... I was still at the beginning of my US long trip and entering Arizona I skipped Arizona Welcome Center. Thus I had no travel literature and no information on what's in Patagonia and around. So, I didn't know that Patagonia is an internationally renowned “birdwatching” destination with visitors from around the world stopping here to see over 300 species of rare and exotic birds that migrate from Mexico to this southeastern tip of Arizona.

Now, I'd turn northwards 7 miles before reaching Patagonia to visit Patagonia Lake State Park (entrance fee $7 per car) and Sonoita Creek State Natural Area: hiking trails and over 300 species of birds.

I would also get to Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve (from Patagonia about 1 mile to entrance; $5 per person) to watch some rare species: the gray hawk, violet-crowned hummingbird, mountain lion, bobcat, white-tailed deer, javelina, coatimundi, coyote, desert tortoise.

But probably first I would hit my car to Bog Hole Wildlife Area, some 3 miles east of Patagonia. It's the area for watching birds (red-tailed hawk), mule deer, white-tailed deer, black-tailed jack rabbit, bobcat, and javelina. It's a pity I didn't get there

Mysterious music or terrible noise of wind chimes?

by matcrazy1

I had never heard wind chimes (called wind bells as well) before my visit to Tubac. What's that? Wind chimes consist of hollow or solid metal tubes which are usually hung outside of a building and are intended to be played by the wind, which causes the chimes to strike each other or a metal ball which may be hung in the center.

At Tubac Road there is a boutique with hundreds or even thousands different wind chimes hang outdoors. Don't ask me where it's exactly, just open your ears and hear chimes while in Tubac. No worries, desert area of Tubac is quite windy the chimes to play mysterious music for me, to make terrible noise for some folks.

Well, I watched some similar "devices" or wind instruments on TV but I placed them in southeast Asia and rather in buddhist cloisters than American yards. But now I know that the top hobby of Americans is gardening and they sometimes hang wind chimes there. I've seen them a few times during my trip around the Southwest.

Beautiful designs of dishware

by matcrazy1

I have seen a lot of old looking pottery in Tubac. But apart from that I could easily find some more modern, beautiful designs of handmade dishware. Some of them reminded me simple Finnish designs of tableware and some contemporary Polish tableware as well. Just look at my pictures. I have seen a lot of beautiful, handmade, both modern and old looking, dishware of Polish and Finnish designers and now I have to add to my top list some artists which displayed their pottery in Tubac, Arizona :-).

Well, a set of dishware is one of traditional gifts for new married in Poland, and we (matcrazies) have got, as I remember well, three large sets of dishes, cups, bowls etc. We don't like and use all of them though :-).

For Polish pottery follow the links below, for Finnish look here.

Spices and herbs - natives to the Americas

by matcrazy1

I haven't found any groceries in Tubac but southwestern gourmet food is available in some eateries like the Chile Pepper at 22 Tubac Road. I remember most bright red chili peppers drying on the sun and numerous (over 100, I think) herbs and species from all over the world.

I didn't understand English names of most of them and had to ask a shop keeper about some spices and herbs originated from the Americas. I was even going to buy some powdered species for sandwiches which my wife made during the trip but my English vocabulary for species and tastes was too poor me to understand exactly what rhe shop keeper told to me. So, I didn't buy anything. A plastic bag of these species or herbs cost from $2.50 to $4.75 without tax. Let me only say about two species which were unknown to me that time and which I bought and tried later during my trip:

1. Chipotle chili pepper - used originally in southern and central Mexico
Chipotles are smoke-dried jalapeno chilis used primarily in Mexican and Mexican-inspired cuisine. Typically, it takes ten pounds of jalapenos to make one pound of chipotle. I surely know small jalapeno chilis from the hot, burning sensation that it produces in the mouth when eaten. Chipotles are milder and add smoke taste to dishes :-). They can be purchased in many different forms. I have seen chipotle powder, chipotle pods, chipotle adobo (it's a meat or chicken marinade) in a can, concentrated chipotle base and wet chipotle meat marinade.

2. Habanero chili pepper - used originally in Southern and Central America (Amazon basin mostly)
The Habanero is famous for being the hottest chile peppers in the world. It has been estimated that the Habanero is 30 to 50 times hotter than the jalapeno! I made a mistake and bought it later during my trip to add some spice to my wife's sandwiches. Don't ask me what happened to my mouth after first use :-) The Amazonian Indians had to have iron mouths.

Comments