Comfort Suites Airport Tucson

Comfort Suites Airport
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Tucson

Me With Mesa in a Headlock (2009)Me With Mesa in a Headlock (2009)

B52 StartofortressB52 Startofortress

ElephantsElephants

Veterans of the West MonumentVeterans of the West Monument

Drive from LA to Tucson, any point of interest?

by bicycle_girl

Heading to Tucson for a few days, was wondeering which route is most scenic from LAX and how long of a drive would it be? Thanks! Kati

by Agraichen

well....hwy 10 is the most direct route from LAX at 500 or so miles but I think heading down 5 to San Diego, then East on hwy 8 to hwy 10 would be more scenic though I've only driven from LAX to Indio and it was not pleasant either time. I probably just picked the days when traffic would be bad on the 10.

by atufft

I think you will want to take Hwy 10 which goes through Palm Springs. But, be careful when you get toward Phoenix. There's a bypass that will avoid the metro area altogether and the dense traffic associated with it, it goes south direct to Tucson.

by Sevsa

Off of I10 you could visit Mojave National Preserve or Joshua Tree National Park. Off of I8 you could go to Anza-Borrega State Park, Salton Sea or Imperial Dunes

by bocmaxima

I like I-10 to CA 86 (Indio) to I-8 to I-10, but staying on I-10 to AZ 85 and cutting south to Gila Bend and I-8 (to avoid Phoenix) is actually faster. But I-10 between Blythe and Phoenix is one of the most boring stretches of road in the Southwest. I-8 through most of Arizona is also pretty dull, but there are at least some nice stretches of desert and much less traffic. I-10 is relatively busy and you're stuck on the Hassayampa Plain for most it (flat creosote forests).
Along that route you have the Salton Sea (interesting in a disturbing way), the Imperial Sand Dunes, a couple of state historic parks in Yuma, a petroglyph site (Painted Rock) and Sonoran Desert National Monument.
There's more if you take back routes, but they'll add to your drive time, so it depends on how much you like driving. But I would strongly suggest taking CA 78 east from Brawley to Imperial County S-2 instead of heading directly south to I-8 on 86. You get a much better chance at the Imperial Dunes.
There's also the eastern shore route around the Salton Sea (Slab City) and AZ 86 through Ajo (Kitt Peak, Tohono O'Odham Nation).
hth

by bicycle_girl

Thanks all for your answers. I will certainly go check out the Salton Sea, possibly even camp there. Looking forward to it!

Travel Tips for Tucson

Time your visit to when the...

by JoeChristian

Time your visit to when the Perseid showers are going to occur. Go up on Mt. Lemmon to Windy Point Vista and watch the show from there. The view is spectacular and there is much less light pollution. Knowing that my parents enjoyed Tucson as much as I do makes the memory of them all the fonder!

American National Flag

by matcrazy1

There are American National Flags on flag-poles in front of public and many private institutions in southern Arizona. This one on my picture was located just in front of Arizona Sonora Desert Museum - private, non-profit institution.

I noticed that in contrast to other parts of the USA quite few people show US flag in their cars in southern Arizona. Am I wrong? Why does it go that way?

Kartchner Caverns State Park

by KimberlyAnn

We visited Kartchner Caverns State Park in 2005. It lies 49 miles east of Tucson. Although there are hiking trails in Kartchner Caverns State Park, the main reason people visit this park is for the cave. Randy Tufts and Gary Tenen discovered Kartchner Caverns in 1974, and they kept their discovery a secret for another 14 years. Now established as an Arizona State Park and open to the public, the cave has been a popular destination for those who love caves. For this reason reservations are strongly recommended. Two tours are currently offered and are guided by trained tour guides. Of the two, my favorite was the Big Room which is only open October 15 - April 15. This is because the Big Room is a bat nursery doing the other months of the year. The cave averages a temperature of 70 degrees with a 90% humidity, so this is a warm cave. You will be too warm if you bundle up with warm clothing. Since this is a living cave, with the formations still growing surfaces are wet. Because of the wet surfaces and steep grades within the cave strollers, walkers, and backpacks are not allowed on the tours. Small children who cannot walk must be carried in your arms. Please note that as of 2005 no photography is allowed within the caverns. They are, however, considering developing a photography tour in the future. If you wish to make this a destination, the state park also contains a campground.

Empty streets?

by matcrazy1

I was driving around Tucson just before (and after) sunset on business day. Streets were mostly empty or almost empty. It seems that rush hours were a few hours earlier. As I know they usually work 8am - 5pm.

Decent Cafe

by Basaic about The Epic Cafe

I just walked by here; but reviews I have heard have been mixed. Questions about food quality and cleanliness. They serve sandwiches, pastries and reportedly excellent coffee. Nice outdoor seating area. Popular hangout for U of A students. Frequently very crowded. I don't know yet.

Comments