4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

3800 West Starr Pass Boulevard, Tucson, Arizona, 85745, United States

Orbitz.com JWMarriott.com Booking.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Nice lazy river pool, very comfy beds, great views

We decided to go stay for the weekend of August 14-15, 2010 at this wonderful resort and spa nestled by the mountains of Tucson, and with a great view of the Tuscon area at night.

The hotel lobby is large, spacious and spectacular, giving you an immediate view of the desert mountains and the pool. The cafe restaurant extends to the outside and is great place to sit and relax at - and if your are into Starbucks, they also have a Starbucks in the hotel itself. The restaurants are high-end with good service, but of course a bit pricey.

The room we had was a double standard room which was of okay size, but the bathroom was huge with a bathtub separate from the shower, and with granite countertops. And the beds were very comfy with a high-thread count for the beddings - I slept soundly....Unfortunately though, our view was the front of the hotel and not the pool area. So, if you wish better views, ask for the rooms facing the pools. We did not "change room" though because we were just happy to have an early check-in at 1230 PM.

The hotel does have a spa and you can have access to the spa for a fee...or just use the gym free which is open for 24 hours. Access to the spa includes use of the no-kids lap pool and the sauna/steam. The gym is very nice with great views of the desert as you exercise on the treadmills...

The pools here are dynamic multistory pools, but with just two small hot jacuzzis at the side. There is also a separate pool area with the LAZY RIVER POOL and mountain water slide - lots of rubber boat floats available and we had no problem getting one. However, the water slide was closed during our visit.

It was hot during the day, so we just walked in the paths along the golf course at night. It does have a spectacular golf course with this mountainous desert setting.

During the weekends, Dora and SpongeBob were there for the kids at the lobby - and they have whole day activities for the young ones. You can pay anywhere from $35 to %65 for kid activities, depending on half or whole days....

There is valet parking available for $20 a day, but there is also covered self-parking which is a bit far away from the guestroom - walk about 5-10 minutes to get from your room to parking. There is a business center and wireless internet access but not free - you have to pay about $12.95 for the internet use for 24 hour use. Bummer on not having free internet....they also have a special rate for "business-connect" such that you also get free domestic calls(long distance domestic)

Overall, a great stay and we truly enjoyed the outdoors during this stay in Tucson...

Unique Quality: LAZY river pool, golf course, beautiful lobby with desert mountain views

More about JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa

Great Hotel, Excellent Service

I stayed at the JW Marriott-Starr Pass in August 2005, the staff was the most friendly that I have ever experienced. The bed in the room had high quality linens and you could just melt in it! The view is good, right at the foothills and up enough to look over the Tucson area. There is even an on-site Starbucks! I was here on business but I would definitely return with my family for a vacation visit.

Good and Bad

by TripAdvisor Member wtravweler

Stayed a couple of days on business, first time to Tucson and the JW Marriott Starr Pass. It did not start off well. At check in I was told there were no city/pool view rooms left so I was given a "mountain" view room. (more like a view of a big rock mound then a mountain) Got to the room and the key did not work. Had the maid call down. Ten minutes later still standing in the hall. Finally went back to the lobby and got another key. That did not work either so they put me in another room. Guess what kind. A city/pool view room. Now why did that not do that when I checked in? Being a Marriott elite member, I would have expected that. The experience sort of soured me for the rest of my stay, but I tried to put it behind me.

Anyway, the hotel is nice but it is out in the middle of nowhere. You are sort of stranded there without a car. Restaurant was a little pricey. I must say I was impressed with the rooms. Very spacious-lovely bathrooms. The staff was generally friendly and there were lots of them. More then appeared were necessary.

I would only stay there again if I was on business and I wanted to play golf. After 4pm they have a all you can play for $40. I took advantage of that both afternoons of my stay. But if it wasn't for the golf, I would probably not go back.

Not worth the hassle!

by TripAdvisor Member AZPhoenix

From what I'm reading, this was not an unusual stay. Valet at $15, plus tip is absolutely ridiculous. The room was clean, but not what I expected from a JW Marriott. The meeting space was good sized, but nothing spectacular. Food, way too expensive. Spa, ditto. Gift shop, double ditto.

The service was by far the worst I've seen. Valet and bellman were not friendly and acted as though they were doing me a favor. Front desk was the same. Room not ready on time and it seemd, somehow, to be my fault by their attitutes. Young lady in the gift shop never looked up from her magazine the entire time I was in there.

I have been to Tucson numerous times and always stay at Hilton El Conquistador. Our conference was booked at Starr Pass, so I didn't have a choice this time. If we have another conference with them, which I highly doubt, next time, I'll stay at El Conquistador, where I know the service is excellent and prices are good, plus no self-parking charge, and drive to StarrPass.

Awesome – Beautiful – Comfortable Resort

by TripAdvisor Member LakersFan

The JW Marriott Star Pass Resort is truly beautiful. I place it at the very top of my list of about 200 hotels and resorts that I have stayed at. I will use many superlatives in this review, but in my opinion they are justified!

I had the opportunity to spend one night at this resort, June 29, 2005. I had spent the previous night at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge which I thought was excellent. I was prepared to be under whelmed. Instead, I am literally “blown away” by the beauty of this place.

When I checked in the associate said they had upgraded my room to a view room, 5453. It looked directly out onto the lawn and pool area, and had a great view of the city in the distance. The room, even though it was average size, was the most comfortable and appealing that I have ever stayed in, period. The colors, the décor, the furnishings all went together perfectly. I would not have changed anything.

The temperature was over 100 and I quickly headed to the pool. There were plenty of lounges, umbrellas, and towels. There were two pool attendants, one who was taking drink orders for the bar. The pool is on two levels and most of the children were playing on the lower level. There is also a whirlpool spa and a fountain with water spurting up for kids to play in. There were cabanas along one side of the pool area, but no one was using them.

Looking down from my balcony at dusk I noticed a ceremony going on. Listening I learned that they do this each evening and it is called the “Legend of Arriba Abajo” and was led by two of the hotel associates. At the end, everyone on the Salud deck did the legendary toast before downing their tequila. It was pretty cool.

I normally have room service dinner so that I can work, but I decided to have dinner on the patio of the Signature Grill because the evening was so beautiful. Service was excellent, as was the food. A specialty margarita, soup, and mid-priced entrée with tax and tip came to $46.00, which seemed reasonable. The menu was eclectic but also included ordinary and inexpensive items such as sandwiches and pizzas. I did not eat in any of the other restaurants.

When I returned to my room the bed had been turned down and the one towel that had been used had been replaced. An activities listing for the next day was left along with chocolates. The new Marriott beds are so comfortable and inviting. I think there were eight pillows, kind of overkill. The bedding was first class.

The JW Marriott Star Pass is a large resort with over 500 rooms, but it feels much smaller. Other guests seemed relaxed and no one seemed in a hurry. Everyone seemed to be genuinely enjoying the peace and quiet of the resort and the beautiful setting. Even though there were lots of people enjoying the evening on the decks and patios, it was very quiet; quiet enough to hear the soft meditative music playing in the background throughout the resort. It was very peaceful and relaxing. It was almost as if no one wanted to disturb the peace and quiet. The atmosphere reminded me a lot of Marriott’s Camelback Inn in Scottsdale.

I should say that I think the hotel was only about 1/3rd full during my stay. However it seemed to be staffed as if it were full. In every instance, there were more hotel associates available to help than were needed. Without exception, I was greeted with a warm and friendly good morning, good afternoon, etc by every associate that saw me.

I drove to the resort and had no problem whatsoever with the valet parking. My car was taken away quickly and retrieved quickly. I called down about five minutes before leaving my room and I literally walked out the front door, being held open for me, and my car pulled up. One advantage with the parking lot being some distance away was that the valet had the AC on full and by the time I got into the car it had already cooled down.

I can’t wait to go back to Marriott’s Starr Pass resort with my wife. I can give it no higher recommendation!

Star's at Starr Pass Marriott!!

I've read several of the past review's and was suprised as I also just held a small executive meeting and have to say that the staff is the friendliest, most professional I have come across. Indeed this is a new Resort (I believe it just opened in Janauary of this year) and some areas need polish. When I read the others comments I say, "give me a break." To experience the kind of service we did in this truly unique environment/resort in just 6 months after they opened is expectional!! I've been to several other high end chains who have also opened hotels in the past three years in Arizona and those properties do not hold a candle to what this Resort has done in the short time they have been open. We will definitely return and recommend to anyone this wonderful new JW Marriott Resort.

Beautiful Resort Terrible Parking

My wife and I traveled to Tucson for our anniversary and stayed at the Starr Pass Resort for 4 nights. The hotel was very pleasing to look at. We were given a pool view room (upgrade at no additioal cost). The view of the pools were beautiful (blue) with the golf course (green) running behind it. A terrace for socializing was unique and overlooked the pool. Views of the city lights were also good.

The resort is remote in placement with no readily accessible convience stores, resturants, nor shopping areas. We drove into Tucson on several occasions to eat and shop on several occasions. We also ate at the hotel and found that you could eat some items at reasonable cost (maybe more resonable if you take into driving cost to resturants in Tucson).

Our room was clean but average in size, although my wife liked the bathroom quite well with separtae shower and tub arrangement. Ony one big sliding door for the bath area and commode, so privacy was a concern if one was using the commode. Towel rack placement was not handy.

The resort personnel was generally friendly and helpful. My wife lost a lense from her eye glasses and hotel personnel was helpful in looking for it.
Housekeeping was generally good, but on one occassion, coffee was not replaced in the room in the room. My wife like the Starbuck"s coffee outlet in the resort we used it from time to time.

My major issue was the parking. Valet parking is the option as you drive into the resort. Parking is restricted on the street in front of the hotel. I was aware that valet parking was available, but had read that undercover parking was available (only by Valet service). My car was usally available within a few minutes of calling to let the valet service that I needed my vehicle. My wife and I often left the resort to sight see. At least once, it appeared that extra miles (more than expected) were on my odometer and damage to a wheel cover was observed after we left the hotel to go shopping.

I probably will not return based on the parking. My wife and I felt a little like prisoners in that we had to asked for our vehicle. We couldn't just hop in and go. It as though the resort had arranged this so you would only need to use the resort and it's amenities. If this is what you like then this would be a great place.

Fantastic Resort!

Most of the previous postings have been fairly negative, particularly about parking and service. We had a wonderful experience at the Starr Pass Resort. My criteria for a resort is: new/clean, serivce, pool and fitness center. This is a beautiful resort, blending nicely into the desert. The public areas and rooms are decorated in a beautiful southwestern style. Our room was quiet, clean and comfortable. Make sure you request a room with a balcony. I prefer the city/pool view to the mountain view.

We visited over the 4th of July weekend. The resort had it's own fireworks display and many activities planned. This far exceeded our expectations.

We did not have any issues with the valet parking. You need to be patient, call before leaving your room. Personally, I found it nice to have my car delivered to the door (particularly when it is 110 degrees).

Finally, we were hesitant about visiting Tucson in the Summer. This is a hidden gem. Yes it's hot, but not when you are in and out of the pool. It cools over nicely in the evening. Tucson is easy to get around with plenty of great Mexican restaurants and unique shopping. Make sure you get a rental car - it's less than 10 minutes to town.

Wonderful Resort - It's a Dry Heat!

OK, so who would willingly visit Arizona in July? Well, we did, and we loved staying at the new J.W. Marriott at Starr Pass. After all, it is a "dry" heat! Having read most of the other reviews posted just prior to my trip, I was aware of the "problems" some other guests experienced. Yes, the valet parking is $15 per day plus tax but with the outstanding "off-season" summer rates, I can't bring myself to complain about something so trivial. Would you not expect valet parking at a resort hotel? We called for the car before leaving the room and it was always ready with the AC on. Most times, there were 2 - 4 attendants helping my family into the car and even washing the windows. We found ALL hotel staff to be friendly and attentive. They went out of their way to greet us and were fun to chat with about the Tucson area. The concierge service was excellent (Thanks Larry, Joe, and Karen). We used them to book several dinner reservations, tours, a hike, and horse back riding. They were able to quickly understand our needs and make wonderful suggestions. The room was beautiful (maybe a bit on the small side) and the beds were among the most comfortable at any hotel I've visited. No lack of pillows! The pool was nice and well staffed. Bar service at the pool was quick and reasonable as compared to any resort of this type. The night time tequila toast was a nice touch as was the ever-present water and iced tea available in the lobby. Other resorts will nickel and dime you to death for beverages, but it is gratis at the J.W. Marriott. This might not sound like much but after coming in from an afternoon in the 100's, it sure is nice to grab an iced tea! In summary, we were extremely pleased with the hotel and would definitely stay again when in the Tuscon area.

Nickelodeon (SpongeBob and Dora) at JW Marriott!

by jumpingnorman

Hahaha...how did we end up having SpongeBOB and even DORA jumping????

We went for a weekend getaway stay in Tucson, two hours from home - at the wonderful JW Marriott Resort and Spa (Starr Pass)...and there were Nickelodeon mascots on weekends.

At 930 AM, our twins greeted SpongeBob and I asked them to jump beside him - and SongeBob just stared at them with those big eyes, hahaha

We asked SpongeBob to jump later and he did, but he was not happy with his jump....

So he jumped another time....and whoa, this one was high, hahahaha

....And then at 10 AM Dora, came out and also jumped with our JumpingTwins

And then we could not stop DORA from JUMPING anymore....

...the Nickelodeon staff jumped with Dora...

And then, the kids jumped with her too, hahahaha

Click on this for JumpingNorman's
Review of JW Marriott Starr Pass

JumpingSpongeBOB, JW Marriott Starr Pass, TucsonJumpingSpongeBOB, JW Marriott Starr Pass, Tucson

JumpingDORA at JW Marriott Starr Pass, Tucson, AZJumpingDORA at JW Marriott Starr Pass, Tucson, AZ

Comments