Palo Verde Inn & Suites

Quality Inn & Suites Airport North
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Tucson

JumpingDORA at Tucson's JW Marriott, Aug 2010JumpingDORA at Tucson's JW Marriott, Aug 2010

Polish Made MIG-15 with North Korean MarkingsPolish Made MIG-15 with North Korean Markings

Wright Brothers PlaneWright Brothers Plane

FlowersFlowers

La Posada Lodge

by 2giants

Has anyone stayed here recently? Is it safe and clean? I am finding mixed reviews online, but they all seem to be at least 1 year old! Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help

Re: La Posada Lodge

by bocmaxima

Safe? It's in a very good neighborhood, with a few other nice hotels around it. It is aging, but I drive by it at least twice per week (I work close to there), and there are certainly plenty of people staying there.
If you want specific hotel recommendations, feel free to ask. There are better places to stay in Tucson, but it depends on your price range.

Re: La Posada Lodge

by 2giants

Thanks - we are staying during the Gem Show, and most places are either full or have tripled their rates.

Travel Tips for Tucson

Road Trip USA 2002: Tucson, March 1/2

by M0B1US

These pages chronicle my epic overland journey of the United States from landing in New York on January 28th 2002, to my departure from Oahu on April 7th 2002 for New Zealand.

Arriving at Tucson Greyhound bus station after taking the overnight bus from San Antonio, it was my job to get the hire car from Tucson Airport while my travel partner looked after our bags. This meant getting on another bus, which wasn’t exactly high on my list of things to do following a 12hr+ bus journey across half of Texas, the whole of New Mexico and a good part of Arizona, with only two pit-stops: One at El Paso, where we found a sizeable minority of our fellow passengers were armed with knives of various kinds as they were forced to give them up at the metal detector; and one at a service area in New Mexico, so yes I can say my feet have touched New Mexico soil!

The journey to the Airport would have been non-descript enough, were it not for having to pass through Tucson’s southern suburbs where many Native Americans appeared to live in the worst poverty I had seen anywhere in the US up until that point (This would be surpassed during our trip through the Navajo Reservation a few days later on!).

Next was finding accommodation for a night using our trusty Motel Coupons booklet - the well placed Knights Inn off I-10, just outside of the Downtown area for just $25 for the night. After a quick freshen up, we were ready to hit the road out west making a bee-line for the excellent Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and the western portion of the Saguaro National Park - if you want to capture the true essence of the Tucson area and its landscape then these two attractions do so in a fantastic manner!

After our trip out west it was time for a big meal and we ended up at the Kettle Restaurant at the foot of Sentinel Peak, which did gigantic steaks. Suitably refuelled, it was now time to turn in before starting on our action packed journey up towards the Grand Canyon the next day. Our main objective for the next day was visiting the unique Biosphere 2 complex at Oracle AZ, which attempted to recreate conditions on Earth for 8 people in a huge hermetically sealed series of greenhouses back in the early nineties, and somewhere that had always grabbed my imagination since I had found out about it.

To reach the Biosphere about 70kms away we travelled north along state highway 79, which for some reason was choked with traffic jams on that particular day, and then onto state highway 77. We were able to take the newly opened "Under the Glass" tour, which was a literally access all areas tour of the Biosphere, and for me a truly amazing experience!

By the time we finished the tour it was getting late and we had a whole state to cover by getting to Flagstaff to be in position for the next leg of our journey across America.

This meant reaching state highway 79 again and heading north towards Phoenix via Florence and route 60. Again we were slowed to a crawl as we contrived to enter Phoenix during the evening rush hour, turn north onto state highway 101 at Tempe we passed Scotsdale, casting despairing glances as afficionadoes of Frank Lloyd Wright at the signs for Taliesin West - but knowing full well that it would be closed and we had no time in our tight schedule.

Heading north on I-17 out of Phoenix the early spring light rapidly gave way to the darkness of the night and the spectacular scenery of the road was stolen from us in its velvety blackness. However this disappointment was not to last for long as in the night we were treated to the amazing spectacle of the night sky with the amazing clarity of the air creating a fantastic canvas of more stars than I think I have ever seen before!

With some disappointment we bypassed Sedona before reaching Flagstaff late in the night and finding from our coupon book an Econo Lodge for $40 on Lucky Lane, an area with many motels just off I-40.

We would definitely sleep well that night!

For those interested in...

by Angela0667

For those interested in visiting Southern Arizona, there are many things to do. Yet many people forget that Tucson is just a few miles from some small little towns full of historical significance as well.

Tucson can be used as a base camp for many fun filled excursions to such places as

Tombstone Arizona, where the famous OK Corral shoot-out actually happened.

Wilcox Arizona, where Cochise and his Apache tribe held off the American military.

Benson Arizona, where the famous Amerind Foundation museum is located, and lots of real live ghost towns that surround the Tucson area.

Some of these ghost towns still have a resident or two that keep them alive with stories of the great Gold and Silver rushes that brought these now deserted communities to life for a few short months or even years.

The Rattlesnake Bridge

by lamentforicarus

Stretching over Broadway Blvd., just west of Euclid Ave., is the Rattlesnake Bridge, an interesting pedestrian overpass made to look like the Southwest's own diamondback rattlesnake. Step into the snake's mouth and enjoy a quiet walk through the serpent's body. Exiting through the tail, a recorded rattling noise reverberates through the body. Visitors to Tucson should not miss this Sonoran serpent.

A Run-Down on UA Area Drinking

by bocmaxima about Various

The Main Gate area is along University between Park and Euclid.
One of Tucson's three brewpubs is on University just west of the UA campus. Gentle Ben's also serves food in addition to their many fresh beers. Happy hour (M-F 4-8) brings $2.50 drafts and discounted appetizers.
Frog n' Firkin, across the street from Ben's, is another UA institution. It's a younger crowd with a much smaller bar area but usually better food. Decent draft beer selection and a huge bottle selection.
No Anchovies next door has a good selection of draft beers and some excellent pizza. Daily specials as well.
Belushe's, on Sixth Street between Park and Highland, is a campus staple. Daily draft specials, $2 Coronas all the time, and some pretty good food, it becomes the big sports bar on game days. Very mixed crowd of die-hard alcoholics, UA employees and UA students.
Zachary's, just down the street from Belushe's, is mainly famous for its pizza. However, they have one of the best draft beer selections in town, with imperial pints and daily beer specials.
A newer entry is 1702 on Speedway between Cherry and Campbell. Currently (it has changed several times), they serve huge slices of pizza, soups and wings, but the main attraction here is the beer. A rotating selection of guest taps has fostered a policy of no printed drink list. Instead, you order off of a white board. The beers are all excellent and the servers are all well-versed in what's best suited for your tastes. This is definitely a beer aficionado's place and not for someone who wants a bottle of Bud Light (not served) or a glass of wine (also not served).
A couple of other places I'm not really going to discuss because I either don't like them or I've never been to and they're not my scene: Dirtbag's, Championship Dining, Auld Dubliner. All casual.

Loew's Ventana Room is one of...

by goingsolo

Loew's Ventana Room is one of the best restaurants in the world, and rightly so. If you've got the extra bucks (and you'll need them for this place), its worth it.
the view is incredible. Its also intimate and romantic. Try the wine tasting menu. The food is incredible, at least it was the night I went. And the wine will kill the pain of looking at the bill.

Comments