880 East Second Street, Tucson, Arizona, 85719, United States
Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Tucson

daughter at San Xavier del Bac,Tucson,Arizona 2010daughter at San Xavier del Bac,Tucson,Arizona 2010

MIG 29MIG 29

SR-71 "Spy Plane"SR-71 "Spy Plane"

Native American Food CropsNative American Food Crops

Tucson Nightlife

by KatyM

I'm coming over for a visit in two weeks (from the UK). I'm staying with a great friend and we want to have a really nice night out. We are not teenagers and we don't want to "pick up guys". We would like a quiet place where we can chat, with decent wine and maybe with some scenery or something else interesting about it, for a night out. Music is okay, as long as it isn't intrusive. My friend smokes and I don't. Security is important to us both, so we need a place where we feel safe.

Any suggestions?

Also, what is the situation with taxis (cabs) in Tucson? Are there regulated companies we can trust? My friend is dubious for some reason.

Re: Tucson Nightlife

by yvr

Be sure that the driver turns on the meter when you begin your trip. Most cab companies are regulated. Once you decide on where you are going to go, you might check out the shortest route to it, this will ensure you have a more positive and pleasant experience.

Re: Tucson Nightlife

by bocmaxima

> Any suggestions?
Blanco Tacos in La Encantada is a really nice place to drink wine and watch the evening go by. They have one of the best views in the city from their patio (where you can smoke) and are reasonably priced. They close at about 11 on the weekends, I believe.
Downtown also has some nicer bars and clubs. The lobby of the Hotel Congress should be a stop for you. It's a generally older crowd than what's in the club and it's a really nice vibe. A little noisy though. If you wanted to smoke, you could sit on the patio or outside of the Cup Cafe.
Then there's Cafe Milano and Enoteca on the west side of Downtown. Both are mostly restaurants, but they do stay open late on the weekends and have nice patios.
But my favorite "club" Downtown is Centro Lounge, which sets up as a bar in an alley between buildings on the weekends. Really nice vibe and a great place to sit. The inside of the club is also really, really nice, but none of it's too pretentious: I always go in flip-flops and jeans. That's located on Congress right east of Stone.
My gf was at a new club this past weekend, Saphire, which is a couple of doors down from Centro. They have a bar and patio on their roof with a great view of Downtown. This is more of a "club" club though, and there's a cover.

Hope that gets your started on nightlife. Feel free to post or PM me if you have any other questions about it. I think Tucson has a really great nightlife.

> Also, what is the situation with taxis (cabs) in Tucson? Are there regulated companies we can trust?
There really aren't many "gypsy" taxis in Tucson. At least not that I'm aware of. If you're out Downtown or on 4th Avenue on a weekend, there are taxis everywhere. There will also be taxis at the more popular clubs like Level, Cactus Moon and NORTH, the latter of which is right by Blanco Tacos, closer to closing time (2am). If you go anywhere else though, there will likely not be taxis and you'll have to call one, although any and every bar has their phone numbers.

Travel Tips for Tucson

Saguaros

by Martinewezel

The flower of the saguaro cactus is the state flower of Arizona. One can see this cactus everywhere around Tucson. They can grow very tall, about 15 feet. It takes about 50 years to grow one arm, so the one on my photo must be a baby. I saw the most beautiful saguaros along a picturesque winding road, driving from Tucson to the Old Tucson Studios.

Center Lanes of Traffic

by celicababee

If you're from the midwest, you know that unless there is a turn way, you pretty much have to hold up traffic to turn into something. Arizona life is a little crazier here, and so they have removed medians and have put in this area a place for you to get out of other peoples way! So don't stop and hold up traffic if you need to make a turn into a shop...but watch for someone else in the other lane wanting to make a turn too!

The Road to Kitt Peak

by Basaic

The road leading to Kitt Peak is Arizona Highway 86 also known as the Tucson-Ajo Highway. It runs through the Tohono O'odham Nation. You drive down 86 until you come to Junction 386 the Kitt Peak turn-off. Kitt Peak is 12 miles up the road. Please note that this is a mountain road with steep grades and lots of sharp turns. There are no facilities on the road and only a snack bar at the site. If you need gas, food, or water you must get that in Sells or Three Points. The drive offers some beautiful views of the surrounding desert.

Congres Street

by matcrazy1 about Various

There are at least a few clubs, restaurants, pubs on both sides of Congres Street. It's a main street of Tucson downtown.
I was looking a place to dring a coffee and rest for a moment there. I finally found a nice looking place but... it was a club and they wanted me to pay $5 fee for entry. Maybe next time... Casual dress usually accepted in clubs: I mean jeans, T-shirt and trainers.

Great Sandwiches

by lizilex about Le Buzz Cafe

We stumbled into this place on the extreme east side of Tucson while we were on a garden tour of the burbs. We wanted something a step up from Subway. This fit the bill perfectly, and then some. It's clearly a neighborhood hang out.

There's both indoor and outdoor seating. The inside is striving for a European ambience both in the decor and in the food and it generally succeeds, despite its mall location.

We were there on a Saturday and the place was packed with families, cyclists from the nearby mountains, friends meeting for lunch, and singles contentedly reading the paper. Despite the crush, the staff managed to keep things moving.

I wouldn't make the long trek to the east side only to eat here, but if I find myself in the neighborhood again, I would definitely, and happily, return.

Open for breakfast and lunch year round. Also open for dinner some nights during the winter, which is the busy season in these parts. The grilled vegetable sandwiches were excellent. Espresso and coffee, good iced tea, as well as wine and beer. Good salads, and the quiche looked great too. Full service bakery and tempting desserts.

Vegetarian options available.