Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtowner-Rte 66

201 East Route 66, (formerly Downtowner Motel), Williams, Arizona, 86046, United States

Rodeway Inn Otel.com Hotels.com

More about Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtowner-Rte 66

Excellent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member biting

Read good reviews of the place. When I went to the place, the rooms were as good as reviewed. The place looks new. It came with LCD TV. Bed looks new. Bathroom looks good. Towels were clean. The rooms were a bit small though. Parking is right outside the room and it's free. Wifi is free.

The place is a bit pricey though. We paid about US$80+ for weekday and US$90+ for weekend. The reason we stayed here was to go up the grand canyon, I found out that Maswik Lodge on the Grand Canyon was only US$86 (weekday and weekend). If I had known that, I will probably stay there and save on the gasoline money. Not too sure about the condition of Maswik Lodge though. Overall, this Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtowner-Rte 66 is an above average place to stay. It's much better than some of the other motels I went to.

Don't confuse this with the other rodeway inn in Williams, AZ. I read reviews that the other one wasn't so good, but I didn't go and try it so I can't comment.

Lived up to the reviews

by TripAdvisor Member hogie51

We showed up last minute, and the staff could not have been more accommodating. Our room was really clean and nice , newly refurbished. We needed a place to eat that night, so the guy at the front desk made reservations for us at a restaurant he liked in town
He came to our room personally (in the pouring rain) to tell us where the restaurant was, and the time of our reservation. In the morning before we checked out we had a quick breakfast at the hotel, and left for the Grand Canyon. Later that night we got stuck in a massive traffic jam. We turned around and headed back to the hotel, where we again we treated fabulously. The guy at the desk went out of his way again to help us.

We could not ask for anything nicer, great value for money!

Fabulous!

by TripAdvisor Member casmck

We chose to stay in Williams as an alternative to the overpriced Grand Canyon Hotels---it is a nice easy drive and there were plenty of stores and walking around route 66 to keep us busy for the two days we spent in Willimas. The Rodeway Inn was perfect!
The owners/staff are overtly accommodating and pleasant and the room was exceptionally clean. We really appreciated the modern feel and look vs the run down options that make up the rest of one's choices while staying in Williams. We were 100% satisfied and would, without hesitation, pick the Rodeway for future visits as well!

Don't judge a motel room by driving by!

by TripAdvisor Member CarynW

After reading the positive reviews on this site, I booked a room at the Rodeway Inn Downtowner. Being a single female traveling alone on this leg of my trip, I didn't want to spend much money but wanted something safe and clean. When I arrived in Williams I followed the directions to the motel. When I drove up, I thought I must be in the wrong place because it looked like a typical, relatively dingy drive-up motel from the outside. I seriously considered driving on and staying in Flagstaff for the night.

Since I was tired, I decided to suck it up. My first impressions were very wrong. The staff was very friendly and even helped me with driving directions on Mapquest for the next day. My room was, dare I say, almost chic. It was a bit on the small side but had a new, extremely comfortable bed, wall mounted HDTV, and modern bath. The motel was clean and quiet. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The breakfast (included in the price) was mediocre and not all that well stocked, but it was adequate. All in all - a great deal and great value.

I found the town of Williams really fun and interesting. This East Coast girl felt like a true Westerner for a day. Since there is not all that much to do after you've hit the few shops and eaten dinner, I took the evening walking ghost /history tour of the town, ,which was entertaining. Be sure to stop by the Red Garter bakery in the morning for wonderful sticky buns and ask about the ghost that haunts the upstairs.

Beautiful Renovation of an old roadside motel

by TripAdvisor Member triptraveler

The renovation of this strip motel was wonderful. From the outside it doesn't look like much but inside is beautiful.

Our check in was a little slow because the young man behind the counter was filling in for his brother and didn't know what to do with a rewards reservation.

I was in room 102 a queen-queen suite. Unpon entering the room you are in a small room with two leather chairs a leather bench and a large wall mounted lcd tv. Open french doors lead to the bedroom area where two large queen beds dominated the room. The bath was quite spacious and had the usual toiletries. The choice in colors and pictures on the wall was very tasteful. There were miniblind on the windows but no curtains. It really wasn't the type of decor for curtains.

I have only a few complaints about my stay. The first is that it was very difficult to regulate the heat of the room. It was a cold night needing heat but no matter where I put the dial I contantly had warm air blowing on me. I did manage to divert it a little but not enough. I eventually just turned it off and dealt with the cold. I expected it to cycle on and off but it never did.

My second complaint was breakfast. I asked at the front dest about breakfast and was told that it was served in the lobby of "The Lodge Motel" across Route 66. I assumed that the Lodge is also their motel. It looked like it also had a nice re-do. I was up early because I was still on NY time and ventured across only to find the door locked. The motel next to the Downtowner had a coffee shop adjoining it and I was able to get a nice big cup of coffee and conversation for under $2. Its a good thing I did because when the Lodge finally opened for breakfast we found the coffed pot cold, the decaf yucky and the selection of pre-packaged donuts and danish skimpy. There was some juice which wasn't bad. There was one table in the lobby/gift shop. We took our food to go.

I did notice that there was no closet in the room, nor any hooks to hang things up on. I didn't need it but sometimes when travelling, I do.

Overall it was a lovely motel and I would stay there again. Or maybe at The Lodge on the other side of Rt. 66 to see what they did with that one.

Great place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member RBunz22

The Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtowner (there's two Rodeways in town...make sure it's the Downtowner) was great place to stay before heading to the Grand Canyon.

Don't judge the place by the exterior but rather on the clean and comfortable rooms that the place offers. We checked into our room (#116) and to my wife's amazement...a very "modern" room. She's usually a stickler on the cleaniness. As soon as she entered, she loved the room.

The staff was helpful in recommending places to eat in town. The Red Raven was an excellent choice and for the burger lovers, try Twisters.

The morning breakfast, nothing to write home about but then again, there are plenty of places to grab breakfast.

Again, great place to stay.

Happy Traveling.

ps. Forgot to mention about the free wireless internet. =)

A real gem

by TripAdvisor Member Huckle

Location is about one hour south of the Grand Canyon south rim and it is a nice and easy drive. It is a sleepy town with restaurants, a safeway, Starbucks and an internet cafe. Most places including this one have wi-fi. The rooms are comfortable and inviting and very atypical of your usual motel fare. The beds and bedding are top quality. They offer complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby across the street at The Lodge (same owner). The attentive and friendly staff is very efficient and willing to please. They are willing to accept comments and suggestions as they have only opened recently. They are working on more storage and hanging areas and reconfiguring some of the TV set-ups. Most places to eat are within walking distance and the staff is knowledgeable about the local establishments. We were sent to a restaurant one night that just seemed out of place for this town and the atmosphere and the food were both exceptional. I would stay here again.

Truly one of the worst

by TripAdvisor Member Klaproth

Although VERY reasonable, (41.00 with tax), this property definitely proves the old maxim, you get what you pay for.

Our room was not only quite run-down, but the heater/AC unit was broken, and a "plug-in" type quartz heater was in the room to heat it. It did not quite warm up the room, but were better off than the people beside us, who had NO ELECTRICITY all night. The "continental breakfast" consisted of mini-chocolate donuts, and two off branded dry cereals. The coffee WAS good though. We walked across the street to get a bagel. The other guests were a very nice bunch, however, which made staying there not quite as bad as it could have been.

Cleanliness could have been better, it appears that the rooms are given just a superficial cleaning between guests. would not recommend.

Very Nice Property - A Couple of Drawbacks

by TripAdvisor Member TW3

My wife and I were attracted to this property by all the positive reviews we had read. We had made a reservatioan in advance. The motel is not much (actually) to look at from the street....but my wife was wowed by the room decor. (I had seen some photos and knew what to anticipate.) BUT....a few minor drawbacks - ice machine is in the office, so if no one is in the office (in the morning) - no ice. No telephone, microwave or refrigerator - there isn't any room! No closet, either - so we hung our clothes on one of the towel racks.. In-room wireless internet worked, but conection was weak. Bathroom facilities are really small. The king bed was very comfortable to sleep in - but becuase of it there is no table. For two people with luggage and traveling stuff, the overall space is tight. We were told continental breakfast was rolls and coffee. We left before this began at 7am. It was an OK one time stay. If in Williams again, iwe'd look for a roomier hotel, at probably a better price.

Great Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member BarbGR

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtowner. Spent two nights at the Downtowner last week and would go back in a heartbeat. Don't confuse this hotel with other Rodeways in the area that aren't getting such great reviews, or older reviews possibly from when someone else owned this property. This IS the one to stay at. New owners not too long ago and they have updated this hotel very nicely.

We had a wonderful time, enjoyed the hotelstaff who was very helpful, the people of Williams, and everthing about this nice little town. It was a fun place to stay at while visiting the Grand Canyon. Did I mention how clean the hotel was!

Bob and Barb from Michigan

moon rise over Grand Canyon Railway platformmoon rise over Grand Canyon Railway platform

Bill Williams Mountain Trail through dry forestBill Williams Mountain Trail through dry forest

bathroom shower in room features dispenserbathroom shower in room features dispenser

older residences with decorative woodworkolder residences with decorative woodwork

Comments