Motel 6 Yuma Oldtown

1640 S Arizona Ave, I-8 at Exit 2/US Hwy 95/16th St, Yuma, Arizona, 85364, United States

Motel 6 Yuma - Oldtown
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

• bilgeez's Profile Photo

Close to Everything

Not that is saying much, as Yuma is not a very big city. The Motel 6 -"Oldtown", as it is known, is just off I-8 exit two. It is at the southwest corner of Arizona Avenue and 16th Street.
    This motel is a typical Motel 6. It has two floors, the office has vending machines in a room adjacent to it. They are reasonably priced, and are cheaper for similar items that are sold at the two convenience stores just to the west of the property! So one does not have to go off the site to get basic drinks and snacks. The vending machines have soda, water, juice and basic candy and chips and such. There is complimentary ice in the ice machines available 24/7 and coffee in the lobby in the morning.
    There is a decent-sized, gated, outdoor pool with lounge chairs on the west side of the property. It is not visible from the main streets, so there is an element of privacy there. The rooms are typical American motel rooms, I had a room with a queen bed. It also had a 19 inch TV with 20 or so satillite channels. Included were HBO and ESPN, The Weather Channel and the local channels of San Diego and LA, plus a few more cable networks like USA, Discovery and The History Channel.
    Rooms were clean, but worn, the carpet didn't seem very old, but had stains all over it. The bath had cigarette burns on the counter and the shower stall floor threshold.
    But it smelled fine and the linens were clean, so I wasn't turned off per se. If one is super fussy, you probably don't want to stay here, because the rooms are worn and not brand spanking new. If you want new, book the Super 8 across the street or down 16th Street closer to I-8. I booked this motel because none of the others my son recommended to me were available the weekend I was there because of an antique car show in Yuma that weekend.

Unique Quality: If one does not want to drive around to eat or if you want to buy snacks or adult beverages close by the property, this location is well situated for that. There is an Italian Restaurant across the street on Arizona Avenue that my son tells me is very good. I did not go there during my stay, but it must be good as there was a line outside of customers waiting to get in all weekend when they were open.
    There is an Applebee's across the street on 16th Street. Down 16th toward 1st Avenue there are a Village Inn Pizza and a Red Lobster. There are two gas station/ convenience stores almost adjacent to the property that sell most snack and beverage items. ( A Mobil and a local franchise gas station.)
    What the motel lacks in amenities it makes up for in location and proximity to other necessary establishments that one can walk to.
    I would have liked to have stayed at a newer place. For what they charged; about $53 USD per night, I thought was a bit much for the condition of and amenities this property offered. The Motel 6 website claims the basic rate for this location is $42USD per night. If I were a month or so older I may have gotten the AARP 10% discount for the four nights I stayed, which would have been more reasonable for the condition and amenties of this property. I won't recommend against staying here, the Coronado on 4th Avenue is an older motel that is much cheaper and in similar condition, I would recommend that for a budget-priced motel in Yuma, but was not available the weekend I was there. This Motel 6 is ok, but just ok and I would stay here only if nothing more reasonable was available.

Directions: At SW corner of Arizona Ave and 16th St.
    You will turn right when you come from the west onto 16th Street. (Left if you exit from the east off I-8). Move to the left lane as you can either turn left onto Arizona Avenue and then right into the parking lot.

Comments