Econo Lodge & Suites

2203 North Main Street, (formerly Days Inn), Brinkley, Arkansas, 72021, United States
Econo Lodge and Suites
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Brinkley

The water is low in the winter and high in summerThe water is low in the winter and high in summer

Naptime after a hard day of birdwatchingNaptime after a hard day of birdwatching

Cypress swampCypress swamp

$50,000 reward for locating this bird!$50,000 reward for locating this bird!

Searching for the ivory billed woodpecker

by VA_Dave

My invitations to the Obama inagural balls seem to have been lost in the mail, so am planning to fly to Little Rock, AR from my DC home on Jan 17 and spend a few days searching for the Ivory Billed Woodpecker in the Arkansas swamps.

I hear that it was last seen near Brinkley, AK. Can anyone give me tips on local guides, canoe rental, places to stay, places to eat, folks to meet, etc.

Ciao,

Dave

PS: I hear that there is a $50,000 reward for locating one

by pedroswift

For 50 grand you can have my invitation! oooops! maybe that's for finding the bird.
good luck.

by acprincess

I've heard that you can sometimes catch a glimpse at the wonderfully named Peckerwood Lake.

by Robin922

Dave,

First a little thing... Arkansas is AR and Alaska is AK. ;-)

Brinkley is a nice small town just off I-40, between Memphis, TN and Little Rock. I must admit I've driven through many times, but only stayed there once, it's so close to where I live there isn't any real reason from me to stay there.

However their website might help, it covers hotels, tourist info and of course the woodpecker.

You may not find the woodpecker, but you will still have lots of fun if you enjoy nature.

BTW, I assume you are renting a car at the airport. Pull out of the airport, turn right, shortly you will come across the highway, hang a left and follow your nose to I-40 east. Also the airport has tons of free printed info on Arkansas, be sure to pick-up something from our state parks.

by VA_Dave

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We had a great trip searching for the Ivory Billed Woodpecker in the swamps near Brinkley, AR on January 18-19. Even though we did not see the elusive IBW, we did see eagles, pileated and downy woodpeckers, sapsuckers, otters, beautiful cypress trees, beaver signs, etc. Our guide was great and it was not too cold for canoeing.

Here are some videos that I took

Enjoy!

by pedroswift

Thanks Dave. Fascinated by the ice! The duck hunters a worry? de p

by Robin922

So glad you had a great time.

Of course finding the Ivory Billed Woodpecker, would rate right up there with winning the lotto. ;-)

You should come on down some time in the spring or fall, great weather and everything has so much more color.

Comments