Alcatraz Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• starship profile photo starship
  • Reviews: 969

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

San Francisco Hilton: Great Location & All the Amenities

We stopped over in San Francisco for 3 nights following a trip to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary. It broke up what would have been an extremely long flight and we wanted to see some of San Francisco, and visit Alcatraz and San Juan Bautista. I like Hilton hotels because they are uniformly excellent. We negotiated an excellent rate for this hotel and we were not disappointed with any aspect of the hotel -- it was a great hotel! Through the hotel's door walk a cross-section of the world. The lobby is expansive and has an international feel. I really liked the huge globe which was the centerpiece of the lobby, but also eyecatching were the lovely furniture, rugs and chandeliers. I could spend hours just people watching here. I can't help it, I love this type of hotel--it reminds me of the 1950's.

We had a very nicely furnished room on an upper floor so that street noise was not a problem. The beds were comfortable and the coffeemaker, hairdryer, mini-bar, cable TV each added to our comfort level as well. We didn't spend a great deal of time in our room, but when we were there, it suited us perfectly.

This hotel was only about 1 mile from the center of San Francisco, but more importantly for us was that it was a short walk to Union Square and the cable cars! There was also a car rental agency close by which was great when we decided to rent a car for a day to visit San Juan Bautista.

There were lots of shops and restaurants in the neighborhood, but the hotel had 4 of its own dining choices--"Cityscape, the 46th floor, upscale restaurant for dinner only with fantastic views (semi-casual); "Kiku of Tokyo," serving Japanese cuisine for breakfast, lunch & dinner (semi-causual); "The Cafe," a casual, trendy place for breakfast, lunch & dinner; and my FAVORITE, "Intermezzo," serving Mediterranean dishes in a quick-service format in a warm & casual atmosphere--open for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Their soups are to die for!!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written November 3, 2006
Tip Photo

Postcard from San Francisco Hilton Hotel

• ChuckG profile photo ChuckG
  • Reviews: 413

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Alcatraz Cell: Cozy Cells

Actually, many people missed the last boat (on purpose) and hid on the island to spend the night there. I heard that many weird things were experienced there at night...

Must be the ghosts of the hundreds of inmates executed there...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mattress (thin), toilet (metal with no seat), fauset, no paper, tiny mirror, 6" by 8" luxury room...what more do you want ???

• Opinion of Price: least expensive