400 Squaw Creek Rd, Olympic Valley, CA 96146
Expedia.com Booking.com amextravel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Resort at Squaw Creek

Beautiful Location, Great Service

We just returned from a visit at the Resort at Squaw Creek. The service was top notch and even though it was extremely busy the employees worked to go the extra mile, service with a smile always helps!

During my stay there was a large storm that moved through and dumped several feet of snow, thankfully I valeted my car.

Pros:
Fast, friendly service
Great Location
Tons of activities for the kids
Mountain Buddies! (Great day camp for kids)
Great food in the restaurants

Cons:
Extremely Busy
Long time to get car from valet (expected due to snow load)
Tons of people

Overall, I had a great experience at the Resort. The service was what made it truly made it a four star experience. Great news is that they will be performing a full hotel renovation this spring, and turning them into condos! But, fear not, you can still rent!

Poor accommodations and service for the $$$$

My husband and I stayed at this resort for our anniversary. We are locals and had heard good things from a few acquaintances. We were VERY disappointed and actually checked out early. First, let me state that we paid an exorbitant amount of money to get a fireplace suite with a valley view. (With the resort fee, it was $390 a night.) When we checked in, we were told that valet parking was $25 a night, otherwise we could park in self-parking which the clerk assured us was "a real nightmare, I parked there today." She was right, it was a LONG walk from the hotel, and the lot was covered in a slick sheet of ice.

The rooms were very outdated, with thin, worn carpet and a bed that I'm not sure would be worthy of a Motel 6! The bathroom, while a decent size, was also outdated and the shower even had mildew in it! And our expensive "valley view" was a close up of the ski lift line.

Saturday morning we left to spend the day at Squaw Valley. We arrived back at the hotel at 3:30 pm to find that our key did not work. A friendly housekeeper let us in our room (Hello--how did she know we weren't thieves?!) And we discovered that our room had not been cleaned. (We also had no clean towels.) My husband went down to get a working key and to ask to have our room cleaned. The staff were very unresponsive and said "Oh, someone will be up pretty soon to clean it." Fifteen minutes later while we were still waiting, we decided we'd had enough of Squaw Creek. I called down and told them we were checking out and expected no charge for Saturday night. (We'd already paid for the poor service and room for the night before.) They said OK, after I spoke with a manager, who made no apologies and didn't even encourage us to stay or to refund part of our stay for the previous night.

I must admit that the resort itself is very nice. Nice pool area, ice skating, and the lobby is gorgeous. The restaraunts were nice also, but we got the wrong meals 3 times while we were there. I wish we had read reviews on this site instead of listening to the advice of our acquaintances. We don't mind paying a lot for a nice room and excellent service, but The Resort at Squaw Creek delivered neither!

Repeating most of what I read..so-so at best!

by TripAdvisor Member ejacobs725

The best thing I can say is read the other reviews. They nailed it. I tend not to put a lot of merit into these reviews in general, as I am not too picky and find that most of the time these reviews focus on the negatives. I have stayed in many places that were reviewed poorly, and not shared the same experiences. Not this time. This place was overpriced. Not convenient to the rest of Squaw valley resort (one ski run goes to this resort. It is a challenging blue, which was not groomed the days I was there, and was far too challenging for my kids). In addition, the only options you have is to drive (in which case I would have lost my coveted parking spot--100+yards from the hotel)..I was lucky to get it, and didnt want to loose it, or be forced to park approx 1 mile away or pay more for valet (and I had paid enough!!). So I took the incredibly crowded shuttle. Convenient, ran often, but wasm too packed--good if you are a college kid...not so good for a middle aged guy who paid a fair price for a four star resort!!!!

Also, as far as views. I paid more for a valley view. What I got was a view of rafters that hung over the entrance to the hotel (I was located right above awning). I had a horrendous view. A view that I would have been angry about even if I had not paid extra for a nice view. It was a joke. I went back to complain. Front desk guy told me nothing he could do as I already prepaid with a different agency. I went back to my room, but was so angry went back to the desk and complained to the manager, who ended up giving me more than $50 worth of food and drink coupons, which at least offset the additional cost I paid for a view of wooden beams.

Final Complaint---Beds were terrible. I have never had a more uncomfortable sleep in any hotel. Ever! I do not understand. I stay in 10+ hotels a year, and never have any problems sleeping. These beds are the worst. Mattresses are cheap and soft. I was achey before I fell asleep the first night, and woke up with muscles severely aching. Not a fun way to start a ski trip. Really bizarre. I only read one other review that brought this up, so maybe it is not true for all beds, but man, was that the worst!.

Other than that, the food was good at the hotel, and I rented the ski equipment from the resort, and the staff and equipment was fantastic!!!!kudos to that staff!

Guys, go somewhere else unless you can get a great deal.

Kid and family friendly

When we travel, it isn't a business trip...it is 4 kids, 2 rooms, luggage to sink a ship, and if there is a weather factor, watch out. Going to the Resort at Squaw Creek, I was a bit nervous about the experience after committing with 3 other families before I read the other reviews I saw on Trip Advisor.

We had heard they were family friendly...this was not a misprint. WOW, what a selection of fun things for all the family. Sledding (my favorite), ice skating, a lift so close, you truly ski-in, ski-out...60 feet maybe. The rental shop helped us out as I forgot my snow pants and the Sierra snow is wetter than I am used to. What a savior! The chuckwagon grill next to the lift was such a nice place to eat...outside, amongst the elements, which gives you a spectacular view back across the valley. Our friends said the food at the top of Squaw was undesirable, so we were very happy.

Our young ones even got to skate at their ice rink with their Bear mascot, which made my 4-yr olds day! Very accommodating. Very reasonable compared to the $500+ I was quoted for places in Colorado. We even tried their pizza and pasta buffet in Cascades. On Sunday, we even caught a glimpse of the Governator, Arnold himself going up the lift. The staff said he and his family come their often. Kids again...nice touch.

Beautiful and Terrible

Absolutely beautiful location: absolutely atrocious service. Stayed here for 5 days on our honeymoon. Squaw valley is really very beautiful. The service however, is another matter. Almost all of the service positions are manned by apathetic teen-agers. The service ranged from indifferent at best, to downright rude and surly. We ordered dinner in our room the first night, and it arrived an hour and 20 minutes later, delivered (ICE cold) by a teen-ager who couldn't have cared less. There was nothing delivered to open the wine with, so we called down for an opener. Another hour and a half later a different teen-ager delivered an opener. She asked how our dinner was, and I said "ice cold and with nothing to drink". She scoffed and turned around and walked away. The next day, I tried to make an appointment at the spa for my wife and was told that they were all booked up for the next two days, but I could call back in two days and make an appointment then. We called back in two days and were told by another surly teen-ager, that there was no beautician on staff until the next weekend. We called in the morning to have some clothes pressed and cleaned, and were told that all laundry was sent off site to Tahoe City, and there was a 3 day turnaround. At one point, we asked to talk to a manager about our ongoing problems and were told that there "were no managers on duty!". The entire staff in fact, seemed much more interested in catering to day business like golfing groups and business seminars, than anyone who was actually staying there. The rooms are very outdated and "worn" looking. The mattresses were so broken down that we litterally had trouble not sliding off the edges. Without a doubt, the worst bed I've ever slept in. This place bills itself as a 5 star resort, and lists a variety of services, but we could find very few ammenities that were actually available, and the ones that were, were more like afterthoughts. Quite frankly, this is more like a 2 to 3 star resort at best. On a positive note, the guys at valet parking were very friendly and helpful, and there is that beautiful location. If you want to experience Squaw Valley, I would Reccomend Plumpjack. (Unfortunately, they were booked solid), I would avoid Resort at Squaw Creek at all costs.

Great for Ski Trip

by TripAdvisor Member mmcmilla

Just returned from a 5-night stay at RSC with my wife and two kids (14 and 11). We go on annual ski trips and look for destinations with easy access to the slopes, and the Resort at Squaw Creek is ideal. There is a chair lift just outside the entrance to the resort's rooms, and during the busy week of 2/21-2/26, there was NEVER a wait to get on the lifts. Governor Schwarzenegger

Pros:

* Squaw Valley is a terrific ski resort destination; we found no waits for lifts anywhere on the mountain.
* Wonderful, big lobby with woodburning fireplace, lots of cozy seating and game tables.
* Onsite ice skating rink.
* Nice pool and hot tub facilities.
* Decent onsite restaurants (we thought food throughout Squaw Valley, including in the "Village," was only so-so).
* Nice onsite ski shop for rentals and clothing. Staff was very helpful.
* Free shuttle to and from the Village. Night skiing at Squaw was a kick, and it's included free when you have that day's lift ticket.

Cons:

* Like other reviewers, I think the resort fell short in terms of service and quality, particularly given the price. We had a nice "fireplace suite" that included a bedroom and living room in about 600 sq. ft. It suited our family well, but everything was dated and worn. For $350 per night plus 10% hotel tax plus $15 "resort fee," we should have had things like fluffy (rather than threadbare) towels, quality pillows and linens and such.
* Service was inconsistent. Most of the time it was fine, but not exceptional. Other times, it was spotty. We noticed that throughout the Squaw Valley area, not just at the RSC, service was mediocre. Many teenagers working for just the 3-month ski season just seemed not to care too much. We found Deer Valley, Park City, Whistler and similar resort areas to be much more friendly and service oriented to their guests.
* Don't bother with the $25 per night car "valet service." I mistakenly used the first night, but then self-parked my car in the close by, convenient self-park lot.

Summary: We all had a great time, but we felt the resort could use some refurbishing and improved service attitude. I might entertain staying at RSC again in the future, but I'd probably choose to stay instead in the Squaw Valley "Village," where nearly new condos and quaint inns (e.g., Plump Jack Lodge) put you right in the heart (i.e., restaurants, shops and base of resort) of one of the world's best ski resorts.

Reviews are all worng

The reviews here scared me so much I called the reosrt to cancel my Xmas trip and go elsewhere. Fortunately, the resort would only refund 3 of my 6 day trip. So I was stuck there for the first 3 days. Santa must've been watching cuz the 3 days were great. My 8 year old twins loved everything about the hotel from the lobby to the Arcade, to the skating rink and most of all the sledding hill. Dining was fine. Montagna the best of the bunch- not great - but in Tahoe definitely par for the course. (Service is not Tahoe's forte!) Rooms and service all very good for 2 adults sharing a room with twins. We got the fireplace suite and loved the views, room size and amenites...And we are 4 Season snobs. The hotel is well worth the money...ESP If you are with kids! Squaw ski school the best. For me, seasoned skiier, the lift on premises made life a breeze. Kids loved the pool, jacuzzis and best of all the awesome lobby with board games and massive fireplace. Don't be fooled by past reviews, this place is awesome.

Only bad thing is it won't be around much longer.

Hotel is about to convert to vacation condos. So get there while you can and the snow in plentiful. Spent my last 3 days in an Intrawest Condo in Squaw and it was really good. But my kids loved the resort. So you figure out what's the best move for you.

Faux Luxury

Great skiing but not a luxury experience. The hotel staff was very young and inexperienced. The rooms were in need of a renovation. Chipped walls, cracked tile, stains on the furniture and sheets. In fact, I didn't feel that there were any stain/hole free sheets in the place. OK - If you don't plan on staying in your room very much. But the accomodations should be much nicer for a luxury hotel. High expectations which were not met.

Quite surprised

Our stay was from 12 - 17 Feb, 2005.

We arrived early on a Saturday (about 10:30 AM) expecting to be sent away because our room wasn’t ready. Not only did we not even wait in a line (there were 3 smiling, very personable personnel working the check-in desk), we were immediately checked in and a bellhop was summoned before we even turned around. They quickly unloaded our bags and before we made it up to our room, he was waiting there, door opened and all but one bag delivered to the room. Our room, a corner suite with a fireplace faced the mountain and the village. The views were spectacular. Admittedly, the room showed some very insignificant signs of being 5 or so years old. Something we’ve experienced at some of the finest hotels we’ve stayed.

Because we were there to ski, we headed to the ski shop less than 40 yards from the entry doors of the rooms. My wife has an extremely difficult foot to fit for boots and she was waited on by no less than 3 individuals, one not even working in the rental shop, but the attached ski shop. He was tremendously helpful in not only fitting her for a boot, but arranging for the subsequent sale of that particular demo boot. Incredible service!!

Getting to the ski lift from the free ski storage couldn’t have been any easier. You walk out the rental doors and walk about 20 yards to the snow and another 20 or so yards to the lift. It was perfect. As easy as any resort I have ever been to. A true ski-in ski-out resort.

We ate several meals at the resort. We ate breakfast at Cascade every morning and it was always very good with plenty of food and an abundance of choices. Bullwhackers was a great restaurant/bar and had very good food. We ate one dinner at Montagna. It served northern Italian cuisine and was outstanding. My wife had some of the best prepared, freshest scallops she has ever had. Wine list was extensive and diversified.

Now, having said all that, our only, and remember it’s our only complaint was that there were entirely too many unsupervised children everywhere, from the bar after 7:00, to the hot tubs, and even in the lobby at times. Had those children been kept a little better in check, it would have been just about perfect. And it’s probably not fair blaming the resort for that, but it did deter from our experience slightly.

I know I must be leaving certain details out of this review, but rest assured they would have leaned toward the positive vice negative in nature. So, I guess it really depends on what you consider important, but we certainly can’t justify any of the previous reviews that gave them less than stellar assessments.

Colorado Backpacking

by tigerJo

"Backpacking 2001"

In late summer I spent some time in my favorite place, the Wemineuche Wilderness in Colorado. A very large moose, deer, elk, and beaver were with me in the Squaw River valley.

When I figure this out I will turn the picture. Until then just tilt head 90 degrees for superb view of a mountain lake framed by rocky cliffs.

On Top of the divide in Rocky Mountain National Park. Not really an out of the way place, but that's only because it's so spectacular!

Lunch beside the Squaw Creek with beautiful surroundings. There is nothing better than this.

Comments