Anaheim Maingate Hotel

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

1850 South Harbor Boulevard, (formerly "Radisson Hotel "), Anaheim, California, 92802, United States

Red Lion Hotel Anaheim
Orbitz.com RedLion.com Booking.com

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• tim.sperry's Profile Photo

I have had better

Stayed for four nights.
    Had to start by changing rooms.
    First room in "the other building" had no internet signal.
    Plus I had a hard time getting the hot water to work.
    Second room was worn and I had to jiggle the wires on the TV to get the station to come in.
    The resturant had irregular hours and found myself eating at the IHOP next door.
    The service was good at the IHOP. But, it was by far the most expensive IHOP in the world.
    $20 for a breakfast!
    Next time I would prefer to spend another $100 a night and stay at the Hilton Towers accross the street.

Directions: Walking distance to Disney and conventions

More about Anaheim Maingate Hotel

Very Comfortable Stay!!

by Yaqui about Radisson Hotel Maingate

We all really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was really helpful and the rooms were really clean and comfortable. Our beds were really comfortable. I usually hate hotel beds, but these were very soft and cozy. Or maybe I was exhausted from chasing kids at Disneyland....lol! The rooms came with coffee makers, hair dryers, ironing boards, two telephones, dataports and TVs with on-demand movies. One nice thing about this hote is that it is just around the corner of Disneyland and just minutes away Movieland Wax Museum, Medieval Times, Anaheim Stadium and Knott's Berry Farm. It has High-speed internet access, Swimming pool, Fitness center and a really nice Restaurant right down by the lobby.

Great Pool, Comfortable Beds, Good Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member christiejo

When I got this hotel through Priceline for our Disneyland stay and then went on and read the reviews I was terrified! But when we arrived I was very pleasantly surprised. We have stayed at the Hyatt, Doubletree Suites, and the Hilton on our Disneyland trips before, but I guess my expectations are still reasonable. We loved our stay at the Anaheim Maingate Hotel.

For the cost this is a wonderful hotel. Yes, the hotel is older with a planned multimillion dollar renovation. However, it is clean, in a great location -about a block and a half down the street from Disneyland- and it has a great pool. Both the Doubletree and the Hyatt in the Disneyland area have glorified hot tubs for pools because they are so small and only go to 5 feet deep. We were thrilled with this pool where you can actually swim laps. Also, because it goes to 8 feet deep, my two oldest children spent the whole time practicing and perfecting their diving. The pool temperature was also perfect, not too hot, not too cold.

The shampoos and lotions are from Bath and Body Works, and actually work! The beds are comfortable, more so than the beds at the Hilton. The shower is a little tricky but the bath worked great for the kids. With all the other things that we loved, the tricky shower was a small tradeoff. My only huge regret is that I believed the bad reviews, and so I didn't extend our stay for the last two nights of our trip, and instead ended up with a nightmarish motel that was much farther away from our planned activities.

The customer service is great at this hotel. They are very friendly and helpful. Red Lion has brought the property and is upgrading and updating as previously mentioned. We had a really good experience there. Just don't expect the Hyatt and you'll be pleasantly surprised. We would be thrilled if we stayed here again on subsequent Disneyland trips.

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member ostaramyst

This was the worst hotel experience ever! The floors were dirty, the toilet wasn't bolted down to the floor, it smelled musty and moldy. And to top it off, traveler beware. They will charge you $50 per night for "incidentals". Our stay was for 6 days...you do the math. Said they'd refund right away at the end of our vacation, which is something they fail to mention when you book the trip. So, that was $300 deducted from our account that we had planned to use for dinners and souveniers. Said that there was laundry facilities for guests. That is 2 washers and 2 dryers for 8 floors. We took our laundry down the road. And trying to get change from them was ridiculous. Their change machine was not working, so they sent us to the bar and the bartender told us she didn't know why they kept sending people to her that she didn't have change and she referred us to IHOP.
Needless to say, we won't be staying here again, and will refer all of our friends elsewhere.

Don't see the problem!

by TripAdvisor Member Bex1812

My travel agent booked us into the maingate at the end of last year when it was still a Radisson - I wasn't too bothered when it changed to Red Lion as the hotel would still be the same.

I travelled with my partner and another couple -we arrived in the middle of the night but got rooms only a few doors apart and everything was clean and i wondered what all the bad reviews on here were for to be honest as i didn't experience any of it.

The maingate is an excellent base whilst in California. We walked to disney (which admittedly might take longer than our 10 mins with kids). We were perfectly positioned to drive to san diego for sea world, hollywood and the beaches like Venice.

It certainly saved a lot of money staying in anaheim than LA itself. IHOP next door was great for food 24/7, didn't try the hotel restaurant as we were out most of the day but we did spend one afternoon by the pool which was great.

Had to pay $10 a day parking but i had expected this following other reviews. We weren't charged anything additionally as some people on here have done but i think that may be due to have paid everything in advance through our travel agent in the UK.

Overall, i would stay here again if needing to be between LA and san diego but as i suspect we won't do disney again we may not come again but only because of that.

Dont Stay here

by TripAdvisor Member ourfamilyholiday

This would have to be the most horrible hotel we stayed in in our 17 day trip in the US. It was faulty towers the 1st night we stayed in a room on the ground floor in the second tower next to the sliding door which does not slide it is like a train track so all night we could here the door opening and closing. When we got ready the next morning asked to be move to another room and they put us next to the air conditioning motors walked into the room and out again and ask for another room we are not complainers but lets be real. We were then moved to another room which had no noise so we could get some sleep which was wonderful. On our last night the fire alarm was going off for no reason so every couple of hours you would have a alarm going off as you are trying to sleep no one seemed to no why or even came to speak to us about what was happening. One Good thing was the guy at the Porter Desk Ceaser he was very helpful. Breakfast was very average in the hotel buffet and they just add there tip into the bill, which for us Aussies is a bit hard to handle. Any way be warned do not stay here.

Needs lots of work still - Do not pay full price

by TripAdvisor Member Expat_American

I got this place for $60 a night. Rack rate is $99 a night.
Staff was friendly. Location was great. Rooms are run down but it is under renovation. They have safe deposit boxes at no charge to store you valuables. There is also a little gift shop in the hotel.

Location to Disney unbeatable for this price. Also car rental places are within walking distance. Don't waste your money on a Disney Shuttle bus, you can walk it in less time and use the saved money for something else. Location to Ihop's and Denny's is great. They have a breakfast buffet but I did not try it. There is a bar that they use for lunch and dinner during the low season, but service is terrible and the price over inflated. There is a pizza shop a short walk away from the hotel, big pies for a reasonable price. Other restaurants and gift shops are in the area. A cold stone creamery is opening soon (was being finished in May 2008) and it is on the way to Disney.

The hotel lobby is nice. The concierge was bored as it was low season. The bellman was very friendly. The lobby is nice. There is a business center with computers for rent. Room is run down, but due to be refurbished into Red Lion standards soon. The second tower is being striped and redone when we were there. The front desk was friendly, but jammed me up on the room. 8th floor by the ice machine. Elevators are spacious enough for bell carts and people and work all the time. The air conditioning heater units are loud. The maid service comes early, so be sure to put out your Do not disturb sign if you sleep late. Beds are nice. Room furniture is in good condition. Carpet was ok. Drapes are ragged and only block out about 80% of the noise/light. Bathroom is a nightmare. Shower/tub is rundown and old. It has the two knob hot/cold water knobs. The hot can get REALLY HOT to the point of scalding if you are not careful. Tv is what you would expect of a cheap flea bag hotel and not a Radison or Red Lion. The tubes of the tv were on their way to being dead. The reception stinks. The computer system that connects to the tv is slower than a car with 4 flat tires. So rather than a nice hotel of 3 stars or more I would rate this hotel as a run down 2 star.

Not what it claims!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member funat50SJ

This hotel is rated 2 1/2 - 3 stars by various websites. Only gets that rating because it has an on-site restaurant (which I never saw anyone in and on my first night stay, it was closed and I was told I would have to eat in the lounge, which also had no one). Their website claims it has wireless internet throughout the hotel and I also confirmed this with a phone call to the hotel prior to my trip. I should have asked if it worked!!! Me, and several other hotel guests who were in town for a Design Automation Tool convention, were in the lobby trying to get a connection. The hotel website states it has a heated pool. There is a pool, but it is definitely not heated. Also, it is filthy. The water is murky and there is sand and dirt all over the bottom. Even my 9 yr old noticed this. I do have to admit that the rooms were clean, although run down (peeling wall paper, filthy draperies). If you can get a deeply discounted rate and will spend most of your vacation in D-Land, then this place might be okay. Otherwise, find someplace else....

Dont be put off by bad reviews

by TripAdvisor Member kezza26

Please dont be put off by the bad reviews of this hotel.

i must admit when my husband and i pulled up in the car i did think 'oh my god what a dump' but that is just the view from the outside. i have to say my opinion quickly changed. i found the rooms to be very clean and comfortable. dont get me wrong it isnt up to 5 star standards but if you can get a good deal i would recommend staying here. reception were great and offered to book a restaurant for me for my birthday ( i hadnt told them but they noticed. i thought that was a nice touch)

the walk to disney is only about 15 mins. unless you have small children i wouldnt bother with the bus it really is quicker to walk there.

we ate in the restaurant most mornings and i found the staff really helpful and friendly. the food wasnt great but was perfectly acceptable.

if you are looking for a hotel that is clean, comfortable and close to disney i can highly recommend this hotel.

Comments