Best Western Courtesy Inn

Orbitz.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Quiet Little Motel

We stayed at the Best Western Courtesy from Dec 15 - 19, 2006 (room 304). Our room was very clean and comfortable. The carpet and flooring were new and therefore very clean. The furniture and drapes were equally new and the room had a fairly fresh coat of paint. The beds were extremely comfortable - not saggy but not too hard either. The rooms are air conditioned, but since we were here during winter, we did not have the opportunity to test this out.

Our room came with a mini fridge, a microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, all of which made our stay much more comfortable. A free continental breakfast was served daily from 8:00 to 10:00 am. It was pretty basic - cereal, pastry and coffee - but we made great use of the free breakfast every day, as it saved us quite a bit of money on meals for our vacation. Free parking was also provided, but limited. They have room for one vehicle per room, with perhaps 2 or 3 additional extra spots.

The hotel has an outdoor heated pool and hot tub, which were very clean. Our room was cleaned daily, and housekeeping did a great job. One very minor complaint that I did have was that the shower was installed extremely low on the wall. So low, in fact, that it was laughable. I am only 5'5" and the shower head was at eye level on me.

The hotel was very quiet, and we had no problems during our stay whatsoever. I found the front desk staff at check in to be very friendly and helpful.

The front desk is not open 24 hours a day and this may be a concern if you need a late arrival, although it was not an issue for us. The hours of operation are from 8:00 am to 1:00 am daily which served our needs quite nicely.

The hotel is a basic family-style motel. This is not a spot I'd pick for a romantic getaway with my sweetheart, but for a family planning a trip to DL, it's perfect.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Unique Quality: The hotel is extremely close to the Disneyland Resort, but is not on the ART shuttle line. You will have to either drive to DL and park onsite or take local transit to the park. You could also walk to Harbour Blvd and catch the ART shuttle, but it is about a five minute walk to the nearest shuttle stop.

If you choose to drive to DL, you will quite literally be at the parking structure in two or three minutes. Parking in DL is $11 USD per day (Dec/06), but you do have the ability to leave the parking structure during the day and come back later. You just have to show your parking receipt to get back in with no additional charge. (A free tram takes you from the parking lot to Downtown Disney.)

You can watch the Disney fireworks from the hotel grounds - just walk around to either side of the hotel and you will be able to see quite clearly.

Directions: About 2 blocks from the Mickey & Friends parking structure for Disneyland!

Take I-5 to Anaheim. Take the Ball Road exit. Turn right onto Ball Road and it's the second hotel on the left - one block west of Disneyland Drive.

More about Best Western Courtesy Inn

Disneyland on a Budget

by Camping_Girl

"Disneyland"

Well, what can one say about Disneyland that hasn't already been said before?

On our first visit to DL, we travelled there in our rv with three kids, and I have to say this was just a fantastic way to travel. Nobody was fighting, nobody was whining about needing to go to the bathroom, nobody was hungry or thirsty or bored..... it was great!

We stayed at the Anaheim Harbour RV Park on Harbour Blvd - $52 USD per night. They are on the ART shuttle route; it's about a three minute drive to DL. The shuttle was $5 per person for a two day pass. In retrospect, I wonder if it would have been cheaper to take a cab, given our close proximity to the park, versus paying $25 for 5 passes. The shuttles were very efficient, there is one every fifteen minutes.

The RV park has a small pool, and the park seemed to be fairly secure overall. The bathrooms are locked every night at 9:00 pm, and then can only be accessed by using a key, which I really liked. They have a laundromat onsite. It was very busy, as a lot of people live in the park permanently. But even with the wait, the laundry facilities were a godsend for us, after being on the road for seven days! I did find that the bathrooms were not kept very clean, especially the showers. There is NO grass, no picnic tables like we are accustomed to here in Canada! Next time I would take a folding table with us.

Overall I thought the park was quite acceptable. It was very quiet, and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

If you check my tips below, you will find some money-saving ideas on how to survive Disneyland and stay on budget. I am adding ideas slowly, so be sure to stop back again and see what's new. Disneyland is a magical place and you will be so glad you went, it's just a matter of keeping the kids happy without breaking the bank!

"The second trip (Dec 2006)"

Well things change, and life changes...my second visit to DL was just my son and me. In order to capitalize on minimizing our budget for this trip, I cashed in Air Miles for 2 free tickets from Calgary to LA (thanks Air Miles!) We also had enough air miles left over for a 4 night stay at Best Western Courtesy Inn.

Our room had a mini fridge and a microwave, so we picked up cereal, cheese and crackers, fruit juice, pop and the like at a nearby Von's. This enabled us to have breakfast in our room on the days we were going out before the hotel's free continental breakfast was served (8:00 am). We packed juice boxes, pop, a bottle of water, some cheese stiks and granola bars into our backpack every day. This cut down on the amount we had to spend on food in DL and really saved us a lot of money. $50 worth of snacks and drinks from the grocery store lasted us the entire 13 days we were in Anaheim. DL will allow you to bring in small quantities of food and drink - no coolers, no glass and no alcohol. We could snack while standing in line for a ride or while walking from one spot to another. We grabbed lunch at the Golden Horseshoe one day and at Johnny Rockets another day and drank the pop from our backpack, rather than spending $2.50 on one soda from the restaurant! The staff never said anything to us about having our own drinks at the table. We did this every day with no problems. We also found that a pretzel and cheese was often enough of a lunch for us, ($3.50) when combined with the snacks we had brought along in our backpack. The churros are a foot long and are big enough for 2 people to share also.

"Helpful Literature"

Before our second trip to Disneyland, I purchased the book "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2007 Edition". For a fee of about $16 US it was money well spent.

The book covers Disneyland, Disney California Adventure and also Downtown Disney. It has plans which will allow you to see everything important, regardless of how much time you have. They have several 1 and 2 days plans to choose from in the book, some for those with children and even a couple for adults only.

The book rates eating spots in both parks, outlines all entertainment and gives a thorough description of each ride in both parks. The rides have been rated by different age groups and we found these ratings very helpful in determining which rides we would enjoy.

There is also a section on Universal Studios.

There are maps of each park so that you can familiarize yourself with the layout of each park in advance. The tips are very useful.

It may seem like you're doing a lot of walking, but if you follow their plans exactly, I can guarantee you that even if you only have 1 day to spend in DL, you will do all you want to do.

Disneyland trip with the kids

by lacraiger

does anyone know where i can find deals online for flight, tickets and hotel for disneyland in anaheim for a family of 5? i dont think i can afford staying at the disney hotel so any regular motel nearby will be great. ive searched online for family rates but cant find anything decent especially now that its summer time.

ive been to mousesavers.com and theyve been a little helpful. also has anyone bought the guide from this site before? disneylandsecrets.com

Re: Disneyland trip with the kids

by zuriga

I know of a travel agency that does a lot of Disny trips. If you want the name, I'll be happy to send it to you... just email me here at VT. They might be able to help as they know Disneyland quite well.

Re: Disneyland trip with the kids

by Camping_Girl

If you are looking for affordable family lodging, check out the Candy Cane Inn. They are one of the best family hotels in the area, and always get high marks on any review I've ever read. Also the Howard Johnson usually gets good reviews.

The last time we were in Anaheim, we stayed at the Best Western Courtesy Inn on the north side of the park, on Ball Road, beside Motel 6. If you have a car, you are a quick 2 minute drive from the DL parkade from either of these motels. We were perfectly happy with our room at the BW Courtesy. But neither of these hotels are on the ART line. I was disappointed when we stayed at the BW and tried to buy ART passes. The ART website says that Ball Road is on their route, but apparently the trams don't run down that street very often. I'm not sure what the deal is, but believe me, you can't catch the ART bus from this street! And it is much too far to walk, in my opinion, because you have to walk all the way around to the main entrance on Harbour. Having said that, if you have a car then the hotels on Ball Road are a great alternative, since they are a little cheaper than the ones along Harbour & Katella. Parking at the DL parkades was $11 USD when we were there at Christmas, but I believe it went up to $12 in January/07. You do have in and out priveleges with your parking stub, so you can leave & come back later if you want.

The only real deals available on DL entrance is to pre-order online for the 3 day or longer park hopper passes. You will save about $20 per ticket that way. Or buy the City Pass, if you are planning on seeing other sites in the area. The city pass includes 3 days at DL/DCA plus San Diego zoo, and other popular attractions.

I hope that helps. You may want to check out my Anaheim page for other tips and ideas for your vacation.

- CG