Doubletree Guest Suites Anaheim Resort/Convention Center

Rated 10% higher but also costs 50% more than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Doubletree Guest Suites Anaheim Resort/Convention Center

Uncomfortable Beds

by TripAdvisor Member purplepixiewingz

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites Anaheim a on August 4th, 2006 for a trip to Disneyland. We booked the hotel based on positive reviews from this website and the fact that it was a brand new hotel. While the outside and lobby look nice, the hallways and guestrooms show just how cheaply this hotel was made. We were very disapointed in our stay and checked out of the hotel at 2am the night we had checked in. We arrived about a half an hour before check in and the lady at the counter was happy to let us check in early. We went up to our room which was a king suite and found that it faced not one, but two streets and that the air conditioner was broken. The room and hallways smelled very musty in general. When I called to confirm our reservation a several days prior, I had specifically requested a room that was NOT facing the street as my husband and I are very light sleepers. We returned to the front desk and they were happy to change our room, but they had to downgrade us to a king room. We went to our new room, which was much quieter than the previous room, but we were not overall impressed.

While the website boasts of granite countertops in the bathrooms, they neglect to tell you that the shower walls are plastic and the bathrooms are incredibly small and awkwardly laid out. The room was large enough in theory, but there was little room to pass between the edge of the bed and the TV stand. The carpet was already stained and the furniture in the room looked cheap and was already starting to show it's age. The doors and walls in the hallways showed similar wear and tear that you would not expect from a hotel that only opened a few months ago. All of this we were willing to overlook and the hotel was decent in comparrison to many others in town, but not worth the 3 and 1/2 stars that hotels.com and expedia give it.

Our main complaint was the bed, which was unbelieveably uncomfortable. The bed slanted backwards toward the headboard so that when you lay down your feet are at an incline above your head. The bed was also extremely soft and caused my husband and I an enourmous ammount of back pain. In addition to that, whatever chemicals they use on the sheets, bothered my skin immensely and gave me rash. By about 1 in the morning, having been unable to get any sleep whatsoever, we checked out of the hotel and they were gracious enough to offer us a discounted rate because we did not stay the full night.

Overall the hotel is decent, but certainly starting to show wear. The hotel staff was helpfull and very accomodating. We were not generally impressed with the quailty of the hotel, but in comparrison to many hotels in the area it is not a bad option. We would not stay at this hotel again, but had we not had so much trouble with the quality of the beds the stay would have been bearable.

Disappointing....

by TripAdvisor Member Coldwell

We booked this hotel well in advance with a prepaid reservation for a king suite. No cancellations were allowed. However, when we arrived, the hotel had given away our room and offered us a double queen. After a long drive with two children, this was not welcoming news. The front desk staff was not at all accomodating.
Furthermore, our children were looking forward to the chocolate chip cookies upon arrival. They were unfortunately not available, but I had to ask for a rain check(even after they didn't honor our reservation).
The breakfast buffet should have been included with the room charge, as it was not at all worth the price. The wait staff was extremely rude and uninviting.
We would not choose to stay at this hotel again. The customer service in all areas was extremely poor. It seemed as if this hotel did not care about return customers, as they were getting tthe traffic they needed.
Also, the bedroom was extremely cramped, with little clearance between the closet, door, and bed.
We have experienced much better in the Anaheim area.

Will definitely stay there again!

by TripAdvisor Member daddy_of_RJK

We also stayed at the Doubletree after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. My family of 5 (including 3 young kids) stayed there on August 12th for one night. We had a regular room (not a suite) with 2 beds. Our first impressions were great. The exterior was well maintained and the parking lot was large, well-lit, and clean.

The room was huge compared with others in the area. The bathroom was huge too for a room that wasn't a suite. It had 2 double sinks and a microwave, safe, and mini-fridge. It had a separate room for the shower/tub and toilet. We also had a little sitting area with 2 big comfy chairs and a little coffee table. It was extremely comfortable.

We only wish there was a larger pool considering this was a family hotel so close to Disneyland. The pool was just too small, but it was very clean and well maintained. There was an outside shower at the pool which was very convenient. We also wished they had a pull out clothes line in the bathroom so that we could hang our towels and wet swim suits.

Anyway, we will definitely be staying there again. It was great value for the money!

Good hotel...great value

by TripAdvisor Member S.Fong

We stayed at the hotel a total of 3 nights. We stayed in a double queen suite. Perfect for our family of 5 (1 baby). They provided the crib and we had it set up in the room outside of the bedroom. This works perfectly, so we don't disturb the baby and the baby doesn't disturb us. Rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. Having two televisions in the room is helpful because generally children only want to watch cartoons. The staff were nice and courteous. When asked questions about Disneyland, they were very helpful. We enjoyed our stay overall. The only gripe we had was the refrigerator (just cold enough to keep things cool...not cold) and that the location was just a little too far to walk to Disneyland. The staff highly recommends guests drive to the park, because after a long day of walking and standing in line, the last thing you want to do is walk almost a mile at night back to your hotel. I booked the hotel through their website. They offer a nonrefundable internet booking cheaper than Expedia and all the other travel websites. I would definitely stay here again. It's a good value for what you get in return.

Don't stay here if you need internet connectivity!

by TripAdvisor Member va_turtle

As a business traveler, I rely on a reliable internet connection when I'm in the room. In this case, I was quite disappointed when I was only able to connect successfully 5% of the time, and even then, only for about 5 minuites before the darn DSL connection would cut-off. Calls to the helpdesk were useless and they chalked it up to "Must be a lot of users on-line right now" -- NOT acceptable! Even at 11:00pm, the connection wasn't working.

That said, most of the guests appeared to be tourists, there for a trip to Disneyland, which is literally down the street. For you folks, this is a great place to stay. I overheard the reception attendant telling someone that since they booked on the Disney website, they get a reduced daily parking fee of $8 instead of $11. Parking was convenient because they give you a pass that allows multiple in-and-out priveledges.

Bed was OK -- a little too soft for my liking. Customer service was OK -- no acknowledgement that I was a Gold Hilton Honors member.

One weird thing I noticed -- the bathroom door is set to automatically close, much like a door to a building. So when unpacking or trying to pack up, you're constantly re-opening it only to have it shut behind you. In all my travels, I've never experienced anything like that...

The buffet breakfast was pretty good -- limited options.

Mixup turned into a great experience!

by TripAdvisor Member Gayle726

We arrived at our original hotel, having left the confirmation # at home, and were told that we did not have a reservation. So we decided...what the heck...we'll find another room somewhere. We walked into the Doubletree and, voila, a suite was available.
The location was terrific for getting back & forth to Disneyland. The bus stop was right outside and the 7 minute bus ride took you directly to the entrance. Getting back was just as simple.
The room was sparkling clean, the beds were soft & the housekeeping service was excellent. I loved having the fridge to keep my water bottles cold & the microwave was a great extra.
The air conditioning worked well & was fairly quiet.
The moderate sized pool was heated and there was also a hot tub! Towels were provided at the pool. It was located on a roof on the second floor and you had to use your room key to gain access to the area.
I did not try the buffet.
We had a group of four and we all agreed that we would stay at the Doubletree again on our next visit. It was a very good value for the money.

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member CaliforniaSoul

My son and I were visiting my family down in San Diego and we went up to Disneyland for a few nights. We stayed in a suite at the Doubletree for 2 nights in July. There were 4 of us and there was plenty of room for everyone. I thought the room was excellent. Of course the fact that the hotel has been only open for around 4 months helps because everything is clean and new. The bedroom had two double beds and the living area had a queensize sofabed. My young son and I stayed on the sofabed and it was very comfy. We stayed here because we wanted to be fairly close to Disneyland. There is a shuttle that will pick you up in front the hotel or you can walk, I would say the walk would take a good 15 minutes. I don't remember what we paid for the shuttle but it wasn't alot.

My sister paid for the room because she got a government discount and the price was excellent for what we got. My sister had stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few years ago and said for what you pay the rooms are a bit old and shabby. We stayed two nights in this hotel for the price of one night in a Disneyland Hotel.

We had a perfect view of the fireworks at Disneyland from our room! I have to say that I really don't have any complaints. Of course you do have to pay to park at the hotel but that is the norm at most hotels.

Had a Great Experience at the Doubletree

by TripAdvisor Member Nomossgrows

A friend and I stayed here for one night in a double queen suite (room 329). Although small, it was extremely comfortable, with two 27 inch TVs, a comfortable sofa, chairs, enclosed microwave and refrigerator, plus a warm chocolate chip cookie for each of us at check-in. In the evening we received a call from a customer service representive making sure that everything was to our liking. That has never happened before in any previous hotel experience! We did not have an opportunity to try out the pool or restaurants. Overall, we were very pleased with this visit.

Nice, clean place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Mikeandcris

My wife and I stayed here one night on a business trip. The hotel is quite new, clean, and the staff is very friendly. The rooms have very comfortable beds, refrigerator, coffee, hairdryer, plenty of towels (but only one bar of soap?) I was told it is only three blocks to Disneyland, but in Anaheim a block is about a 1/4 mile in length, so the walk is a healthy 20 minutes plus to the front gate. When checking in, request a pool view room on the upper floors, as that will also face Disneyland for the fireworks display. Overall, we were quite pleased and would stay again.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Tldodge1001

We checked in on 10/4 and stayed till 10/7. We were greeted buy the front desk clerk and given warm cookies that were excellent. All the bellman were in a meeting when we checked in, but the front desk clerk took our bags up to the room for us. Excellent services and very friendly. When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised the room was very nicely decorated and very clean and spacious. One of the best hotel experience. Every day we got fresh towels and the linens on our bed changed. Beds were extremely comfortable, it felt like home. While in Anaheim we visited Disneyland very convenient drive. Hotel is located in a great location. We didn't use the pool, but it looked very nice. If we every go back to this area this is the hotel that we will stay in again.

MuzeoMuzeo

Tower of Terror - California AdventureTower of Terror - California Adventure

meme

THAT'S THE GLOBE!THAT'S THE GLOBE!

Campgrounds

by carmenbeaner

We are planning on visiting Disneyland over New Year's Day for about 5 days. Does anyone have any recommendations for a family campground.

RE: Campgrounds

by gereegon

checkout www.mouseplanet.com it lists several campgrounds in the area, one of which I know is within walking distance to Disneyland's entrance, just across the freeway.

RE: Campgrounds

by Camping_Girl

We stayed at Anaheim Harbor RV Park last summer when we were there. It's basically on the other side of I-5 from DL. The ART shuttle took literally 3 minutes to get us there in the mornings.

We watched fireworks from the rv park on the nights we weren't at DL. It was clean, there is a small pool (not that would be of much interest in January!) and a laundromat onsite. We paid $52 US per day for a fully serviced site. Not bad for DL, really. They did have a small grassy area by the bathrooms that was rented out to tenters for a couple of nights that we were there, so if you are tenting it may still be a possibility to stay there.

One thing I really appreciated was that the bathrooms are locked after 9:00 at night. You can pay a $5 deposit which is refunded when you check out to have a key which gives you after-hours access to the bathrooms. The beauty of this is that there are no problems with vagrants inside the rv park, since there is nowhere for them to hide. It was a very quiet park, and there were lots of kids when we were there.

I have some info on the rv park on my Anaheim page. I think I have the phone # there. If not and you need further info, feel free to email me.

Have a great trip!