Jolly Roger Inn

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 27% more and rated 14% lower than other 2 star hotels

• Horrible Hotel with Cockroaches

My family and I booked a vacation package with Allegiant Air. So my trip was prepaid. We got to the Jolly Roger on the evening of 3/13. The lobby was nice enough and the staff was pleasant. The room was typical motel and very small but that was ok because we were going to be spending most of our time at Disneyland. When we woke in the morning we saw and killed a 1 1/2 inch cockroach. Yuck! I went to the front desk and they wouldn't do anything. When we returned from Disney late that afternoon they told us we could move to the Portofino Inn. (The Jolly Roger & the Portofino are owned by the same company) They said because my trip was already paid for I would only have to give my Debit Card in case I wanted to charge anything. Which I didn't. When I returned home I tried to pay my car payment and was told I didn't have enough money in my account. Come to find out they charged my card $431. I will never nor would I ever recommend this hotel(motel).
    A couple other things I would like to mention. You have to pay an extra $10.00 each for a microwave or fridge and the fridge was really small. Also there is no conteintal breakfast.

Unique Quality: The only thing good about this hotel is it's within walking distance from Disneyland.

More about Anaheim

AngelsAngels

JumpingTwins with their cousin, Disneyland AnaheimJumpingTwins with their cousin, Disneyland Anaheim

me in front of main streetme in front of main street

the archthe arch

disneyland to newport beach

by liveer12

How can I get from disneyland to Balboa beach. I will be staying at the Candy Cane Inn. I would like to spend one day at the beach before I travel back to my home town. Would it be better to drive my car or just take the bus?

Re: disneyland to balboa beach

by rkearns

i would rent a car. chances are, they're not going to have a bus going to where you want to go.

these are the directions from disneyland to balboa beach. to the candy cane inn, they should have a shuttle that can take you nearby.

by travelgourmet

You say you have a car so take the car straight down Harbor Blvd till you get to PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). Cross over PCH and take a left on Balboa Blvd. About 16 miles from the Candy Cane Inn in Anaheim. Not to far away (6 miles) on PCH turning right or north is Surf City, Huntington Beach. Turning left or south (11 miles) on PCH will take you to Laguna Beach, another hot spot.

by Jokerit_pl

I would recommend taking the freeway, as it is usually faster than going down Harbor Blvd. all the way. Of course, I would look up the traffic report on the Internet or the radio (1070 AM) for the latest updates.

Katella Ave to I-5 South, 55 South, and keep driving till the freeway ends at Newport Blvd. Keep going straight on Newport till you hit Pacific Coast Highway. Keep going straight for Balboa. Turn right to go to Huntington Beach and points north. Turn left for Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Laguna Beach, and points south.

Depending on where in Balboa you are going to be and when, parking can be a bit of a hassle. If you go early in the morning, you should be fine.

by sdcatraveler

Definitely rent a car and drive it. Perhaps you might want to try Huntington or Seal Beach? They might be easier to drive to and parking would be easier to find. Plus they are more representative of a beach (Balboa Island is a bit hard to get to and is more touristy than beachy, although it is very fun).

Travel Tips for Anaheim

PhotoPass

by southofla

Just started at Disneyland is Disney's Photpass service. This is similar to the same thing that has been in Florida for a while, but with some enhancements.

The first time you go to a Character locations or any where they have Disney Photographers you will receive a Card similar to a Credit Card. Each card is individually numbered and will hold all of your photos. After you have your card then each time you go to another location you just hand them the current card and they add photos to the same card.

Anyone who remembers the old method when they gave you a piece of paper for each photo you now only have to carry one card around for your entire visit. This card is plastic and waterproof which is also a great enhancement especially if you want to go on some water rides.

You still have the option to purchase photo while in the park, but you now have the ability to log on at home and order them from there also. They also give you the ability to share your photos to other people.

The downside is that this is not permanent storage, they will expire from the card after about 30 days. But this is usually more than enough time once you get back from your vacation to look at the photos.

Valuable Planning Tool

by Camping_Girl

The second time I ventured to Disneyland, I purchased the book "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland" before I went. I think you can find this book at pretty much any book store or from an online book store. I ordered it online from Amazon and paid roughly $15 CAD for the 2007 version. You can sometimes find used copies of older versions on Amazon for less than that, or maybe you can even find a copy at your local library. This book is a really great planning tool. It contains information on Disneyland, DCA, Downtown Disney and Universal Studios Hollywood. It describes every ride and show in every park, gives the general age ratings for each ride and show, suggests the best time of day to go, and also has some great information about the park in general, hotels in the area, public transit and general costs for a day in the park. There is also a map of each park in the book.

The book does a really good job of explaining how the Fast Pass system works, and they offer 1 and 2 day suggested itineraries for each park. They even have a different itinerary for people going to the park with children vs without.

We followed their suggested 2-day itinerary and we were at the park the week before Christmas, which is a really busy time for Disney! We rarely waited in line more than 30 minutes, and we saw everything we wanted to see and then some. We were able to do every ride we wanted to, and even had time to go back and do our favorites multiple times. It really is that good.

When you consider the money you will spend on a trip to Disney for you and your family, I really think that $15 or $20 for a valuable planning tool is money well-spent.

Dias de los Muertos at Disneyland

by malianrob

Disneyland celebrates Dia de los Muertos in Frontier land. This is more of a Mexican holiday that remembers those who have passed. The actual day os on November 2nd. Disneyland celebrates Dia de los Muertos for a few weeks and they have face painting and other celebrations going on.

Buy your film at home

by b1bob

Dress for the season. You'd think it would be warm all the time in southern California, but it can be cool and damp in late May. Therefore, watch the weather report and dress accordingly. Wear comfortable shoes because you're going to do some tall walking. Sunscreen is in order for the summer. 35mm camera (nothing fancy), but please buy your film at home because it costs a fortune in the park.

Crystal Cove State Park

by Camping_Girl

We set out one afternoon along Harbour Blvd, heading for Huntington Beach. Somehow... we ended up in Newport! We eventually saw the signs leading to Crystal Cove State Park and we decided to pull in here. We paid our $10 entry fee (we were in an RV, I'm not sure if it's less for a car) and headed towards one of the parking lots shown on the map.

As we left the parking lot and rounded the building which houses the bathrooms, we were rewarded with an amazing view of the ocean. We hiked down the hill and found ourselves on a beautiful beach with very few people on it. The views were breathtaking.

This beach is completely undeveloped, there are no restaurants or stores along it. We walked down the beach and found tide pools in the rocks at one end. Our kids were fascinated with the variety of crabs and other sea creatures that we found here.

Comments