Portofino Inn And Suites

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• OK, but...

My boys and I stayed in a children's suite at the Portifino Inn & Suites in Anaheim, CA for 3 nights. This is what I found:
    Pros: It is very close to Disneyland - only 2 blocks away. You can purchase Disneyland tickets at the front desk. There is an iHop across the street. The pool is nice. The service is friendly. The room was clean. The children's room had bunk beds. Each bunk had its own light. Their was a small love seat in the children's room, too, and a child-size table with 2 child-size stools. My kids loved this room. There is a small convenience store connected to the property where you can buy drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.
    Cons: The hotel was VERY noisy. Each morning I got woken up by loud banging noises. i peaked out the door at 7:00 am one morning and housekeeping was already in the halls cleaning rooms. I think this accounted for most of the noise, but I'm not sure. There is no breakfast offered. The furniture was a bit worn, but not dirty. The doors to the building were ALWAYS unlocked, even though there is a slot there that could require a key-card to enter. I found this lack of concern for safety discomforting, especially since the doors open onto Harbor Blvd (A VERY busy street) and since one night when we came home, there was a woman going through the trash can right outside the doors. There was extensive water damage along the bottom of the bathroom door and doorframe, inside the toilet/shower/tub area.

Unique Quality: Close to Disneyland - VERY noisy

Directions: Katella exit off of I-5, left on Harbor.

• nancy531's Profile Photo

Kid's suites in the shadow of Disneyland

We were headed to Disneyland (my friend's idea...not ours) and tried to find a place "on property" but they were all booked. I found this place and they had kid suites - which sounded perfect for us since we would be traveling with 5 kids and 4 adults. The staff was nice and our room was fine for what we wanted. It wasn't perfectly clean or fancy but it served the purpose. There were glass doors in between the ‘kids’ room and the adult’s room…so not a lot of privacy, but enough to at least close the kids in and have a beer before bed. There is a Jolly Roger restaurant in the adjacent parking lot where we went almost every day for Breakfast. Staff there was very friendly and accommodating to our large group. We chose to walk to Disneyland. It was not that far on the way there, but after a day of walking and a sleeping kid or two the way back seemed very, very long. They sell tickets at the front desk for a shuttle bus that isn’t that expensive…after a long day and fireworks; I wished that we had taken advantage of that. All in all I would recommend this for a family vacation.

Unique Quality: Pool and Jacuzzi. Also you have use of the pool at the Jolly Roger as well. Two washer and dryers available but be prepared to fight for em.

More about Portofino Inn And Suites

Better Than We Expected

We just returned from a six night stay at the Portofino Inn and Suites (Feb/04). It was everything we expected and more. Upon check-in we were offered a kid's suite for $10 more per night. It was excellent! Our 9 and 12 year old boys loved the bunk beds and we appreciated the extra sink and vanity, microwave, fridge and coffee maker. We found the staff to be helpful and courteous and the hotel to be well kept. We loved the location and would stay there again. There is a 7-11 across the street, liquor mart and strip mall with reasonable Chinese food, chicken and donuts. We walked to Disney every day and it took 5 minutes. It was very quiet and we never heard any noise from the neighbors, people in the hall or the street. The only downfall was the size of the pool but we only swam once and didn't go to Disney to swim. If you are looking for the Four Seasons or Fairmont get off your wallet and don't stay here. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, family hotel this is the place for you.

Good Hotel for my Family

Okay...after reading all of the reviews for the hotels in Anaheim and AGONIZING over where to stay...I booked a 4 night stay at the Portofino Inn through Travelocity. I wanted a suite so that we could give our 2 daughters a nap each day. We reserved a Kid Suite and paid $99 per night (great deal). The Kid suite had a king size bed in the main room and bunk beds and a pull out sofa bed in the kid area. The 2 rooms were divided by a set of thin sliding doors. The room had the standard amenities: coffee pot, fridge, hairdryer. The bunk bed was a BIG hit with my oldest daughter and both children like the kid size table. The hotel has a small pool and spa too although, we did not spend much time in either. We walked to and from Disneyland everyday and found a short cut through the Timon Parking Lot on Katella. A tram takes you from the parking lot to the entrance of the park.

My family enjoyed our stay at the Portofino and would definately consider staying here again. There were some very minor issues that came up but nothing that would hinder a second stay: the hallway had a funny smell, one day our room was not made up until 4pm and our first coffee pot did not work well.

Pleasant stay, esp for the price

We got a great rate on this hotel and had a nice stay, especially for the price. I'd stay here again. There aren't many amenities or special services, but the basics were fine. The kids suite was cool--our boys loved the bunkbeds and their own little table. Our room was clean and nothing was broken; the beds were comfortable. We were in the back of the hotel, so didn't have any street noise (although it is true that you can hear the shower from the next room over--we wake up early, so it didn't bother us). The staff was polite--not necessarily jolly, but certainly not rude or unhelpful. The walk, as some have noted, is further than "across the street" but we did it repeatedly and it was no big deal. Our kids are active, but the little one is only 3 and he did the walk several times...so that gives you some idea. We also took the shuttle a few times, which is conveniently located (but took us longer than the walk, so we only rode it in the evening when the boys were really tired). On other trips we've stayed on Disney property, which was much more special and luxurious...but then it cost three times as much, too ;)

Mixed Reviews

I've stayed at this Hotel on 2 different occassions. I have to say that there are definitely pros and cons. The pro is, the kid's room set up works very well, having 2 young kids. They love the bunk bed (novelty) and we're able to seperate them from the main room (sort of). Another pro is the proximity to the park. Although they may say you are "across the park", technically that is correct. However, it's the parking lot that is close by, you still have to walk a couple of blocks to get to the main entrance. For us, that wasn't that big of a deal, we have a double stroller so kids can ride and my wife and I dont' mind the walk.
Now for the cons, it's not the tidiest rooms I've stayed in. On the 1st occasion we stayed here for 5 nights. We actually stayed in their King's Suite, and it seemed like everytime one of our neighbors flushed the toilet, it put out a foul odor that seemed to linger for about an hour. We called the front desk and sent over a maintenance guy but really didn't do anything. We experienced this for the first 3 nights but had no incidents last 2. This might have been becuz the room next door became vacant. We had some friends that stayed down the hall from us and they didn't seem to have our same experience. The second time we visited, we stayed in the kids' suite and didn't have any odor problems, but we went almost 3 days with out maid service. We had reqstd for maid service to come early in the morning while we were at the park, becuz we would have to come back in the afternoon to put the kids down for a nap. I'm not sure if that was an unreasonable reqst or not. Our king bed wasn't the most comfortable, it had a couple of broken springs. Anyway, my overall rating of this hotel is so-so. You do have to be "AWARE" that this isn't the finest hotel/service you'll experience, you most certainly will have to compromise on the quality.
I've made the resolve that staying at the Portofino is sort of like camping - you have to ruff it a little. If you ask me if I would stay a 3rd time, my answer would be maybe, I'm actually looking for another place to try to compare.

Perfect Disney Hotel

We stayed the end of February and found this to be a really nice hotel.
No problem with parking, cleaniness or the staff. Everyone was nice, the room rate was a promised and it was about a ten minute walk to Disney. Also, the Jolly Roger Inn next door, where you received a ten percent discount, was excellent. I would have no hesitation bringing my family of five back to this hotel. Sorry to hear that others had problems, but I had absolutely none.

We loved this place and the staff

We have to disagree with the people who have poor reviews about the staff at the hotel. You may have come into the hotel with a bad attitude. Everyone was very helpful and willing to accomodate us. My three kids loved the kids suite. I have to say, the bunk beds are nice because it uses the air space and allows for more walking room. Yes, the pool is small but...we only used it a couple of times is 6 days.
For a 3, 5 and 7 year old the size of the pool is minor! The store to get breakfast stuff is right across the street. There isn't anything closer to buy groceries. There is a great place to eat a hot breakfast right across the street next to the donut shop and they whip up the best omellets. Target is 1 mile away if you forgot anything. Jolly rogers restaurant next door has kids eat free for lunch and dinner everyday (it's kinda like eating at Denny's). We purchased the disney transit pass and the pick up is right outside the hotel door. Every 20 mins. it comes around. It was only $12 an adult for the whole week and kids are free. That was the best thing because we forgot our stroller and my 3 year old doesn't like to walk such long distances. It's two blocks but they are Las Vegas length blocks. We would stay here again and I'm sure my kids would agree.

I agree with the previous reviewer

by TripAdvisor Member Leslie24

My family just returned from a five night stay at the Portofino and we liked it the best of the several different Disneyland area hotels we have stayed at over the years. My family consists of myself and my husband, a 20 year old son and 18 year old daughter, and we find it difficult to find adequate accomodations for all of us. I was impressed that the Portofino offers a 2 bedroom suite, which is perfect for us and very reasonable considering what just two rooms would cost elsewhere. Our suite had a king bedroom, a 2 queen bedroom, 2 bathrooms, and a separate living room with a mini fridge and microwave. Every room had a TV. We had lots of room to spread out and some people could go to bed while others watched TV in the living room without disturbing each other. The hotel hallways were quiet, but stuffy and hot. The main problem was street noise from busy Harbor Blvd., which was bad even late at night. We were able to easily walk to the Disney resort, and we also discovered the "short cut" via the Timon parking lot, and that saved some walking but not really time. I liked that one had to have a room key to get into either of the two buildings and that there was covered parking available, and we had to get a guest parking pass to park on the property. The rooms were clean but the carpet desperately needs cleaning! I would have liked a continental breakfast included, but I've had enough really bad ones that I didn't really mind bringing our own. We could have eaten @ the Jolly Roger restaurant nearby. Overall, this was a good experience and we will return.

Great Kid Suites!

We loved the stay at this hotel. The kid suite is absolutely fabulous. The staff was very nice to us. We arrived at 5 am and check in isn't until 11 am and the parks don't open until 8 am, so we had no where to go. I talked with the desk clerk, and he said to give him an hour and he would have housekeeping come in and clean the room. We were in our room by 6 am. My twins loved the pull out couch, and my 13 and 14 year olds, loved the fact the didn't have to touch one another in the bunk beds. Each bunk bed had its own light and there were T.V.'s with cable in both rooms. Couldn't have asked for more for the price we paid. The park isn't far at all. We had free parking passes, so we drove and we were at the park entrance in less than 10 minutes. All in all, this hotel is GREAT!

portofino inn

by brisa264

any opinions on the portifino inn or anabella inn
thanks heaps

Re: portofino inn

by travelgourmet

The Anabella is very nice with a mission (Taco Bell) entrance. Don't let the entrance fool you, inside the grounds are very good with nicely appointed rooms. Lobby is huge with a good pool area. Across the street from Disneyland on Katella/West Streets. Newer hotel and it is not that expensive, either.

RE: portofino inn

by canada_cass

The Portofino is nice and in a fairly good location. not right across the street, but the walk is definately do-able. there is no restaurant onsite, but there are ones close by. I've heard some negative comments on the hotel but we had a good time!

Comments