Avalon Hotels

• Reviews: 72

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Small rooms - great price: Hotel Mac Rae

Goods:
Price: There was a deal on the website for Sunday night free for a oceanfront room. We took advantage of this over Veteran's Day weekend, when Monday was a holiday anyway. It turned out to cost less than $100/night, great for beach-view Avalon!
Location: Overlooks the beach and close to everything. Easy walk from the ferry and to the casino/dive park.
Amenities: The hotel has air-conditioning, ceiling fans, DVD players with free rentals from the front desk, nice beach towels to borrow, and free wi-fi access (didn't use it).

Neutral:
Noise: I was worried when I walked in and saw earplugs. And a nearby bar has karaoke at night. I am normally a light sleeper, and wore the very comforatble earplugs the first night. I decided I didn't need them the next 2 nights and slept fine.
Size: Room is small, but there was enough room for 2 people, and all of our dive gear (barely!)

Bads:
Bathroom: Bathroom need to be remodelled, the showers are like caves and ours drained fairly slowly. My friend said the water was only luke-warm during one shower.
Bed: Matress is okay for comfort, but newer would be better.
Continental breakfast is mini-muffins and mini-bagels, plus coffee and OJ.

If I can get that price again, I'd defiantely stay there next time. I have also stayed at the Hotel Vicentes and the Pavilion Lodge on Catalina, and this was the best deal. I wouldn't pay over $150/night for the room, though.

Great views from beachfront rooms.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average