Wyndham Garden Bakersfield

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central
IHG Priceline.com Orbitz.com

More about Bakersfield

Bakersfield Fox TheaterBakersfield Fox Theater

Hilltop wind turbinesHilltop wind turbines

Travel Tips for Bakersfield

Outside of Bakersfield

by Beamer23

Getting outside of Bakersfield will take you to some picturesque and scenic sights, some of which Hollywood and other film makers has chosen to place in some of their films. South of Bakersfield is the Grapevine, which has some very pretty mountainsides. East of Bakersfield is the Kern River and the Valley it has produced leading up to Lake Isabella. North and north east of Bakersfield are gentle rolling foothills and small mountains leading into the Sequoia National Forest. West of Bakersfield is some of the Largest oil production sites in North America.

Memorial to Cancer Survivors

by Yaqui

This is a wonderful memorial located right smack on the corner of Oak Street and Rosedale Highway (178). It is sculpture dedicated to those who have had the blessing of surviving cancer. Along the path to the sculptor are plaques filled with words of encouragement to remind those stricken with this awful disease are not alone and will never be alone. It reminds them you can survive. Cancer does not care who you are, what color you are, nationality, language you speak or whether you are young and old. So, if you have a chance please take time to stop and say a prayer for those victims.

661-861-2367
2101 Oak St, Bakersfield, Ca 93302

Located on the corner of Oak Street and Rosedale Highway (178) off of the 99 freeway.

BAKERSFIELD

by Yaqui

""Bakersfield, The Heart of the Golden State""

Bakersfield was first settled in 1858 by a handful of families seeking home sites rather than gold. A man who owned much of this valley named, "Colonel Thomas Baker", who would then invite these weary travelers to spend the night due to his hospitality. Soon people started calling it "Colonel Baker's field." As settlers kept moving in, Colonel Baker laid out the town in 1869, and within two years the city had a telegraph office, stores, a newspaper, boarding houses, one doctor, a wagon shop, a harness shop, attorney office, a saloon, and fifty school pupils. The Bakersfield Centennial Garden and Convention Center rests now rest on part of the original Colonel Baker's field as well as the Centennial Plaza community park.

The City of Bakersfield is the heart of San Joaquin Valley, this city is so overlook as far as tourism and the importance it has for the whole state of California. Lots of agriculture, which by the way is one of most significate growers for the "whole world" because of the rich San Joaquin soil. Culture is so important due to the high number of ethic influences here that makes this city "rich with heritage". Black Gold (Oil) plays a big part, since it provides more oil from here than any other state other than Alaska. And if you want to see an old fashion rodeo with cowboys and cowgirls, you need to make a trip here during the yearly "Fair". To me it still retains much of that "cowtown" feel to it, which makes this place special!

Although, Bakersfield has a special place in my Mom's heart because it is where a many Oakies transplanted here because of the dust bowl during the 30's. As you drive in or out on the Highway 58, the view is not at its best. Many low income families live here and it's the very industrialized side of Bakersfield because of all the industry here that revolves around agriculture. So keep that in mind, their are more scenic places within the downtown areas.

"The Sign That Has Welcomed So Many;-)"

This famed 130 foot sign built in 1949 once graced the entrance of Bakersfield on 1101 Union Avenue once called Highway 99. It was originally a 130 foot long, 30 ton tunnel bridge that gave safe access to the other side of the highway to the Bakersfield Inn built in 1949.

Buck Owens famous local and country western entertainer of the show Hee-Haw if any of you remember that show because I do and had to watch it growing up because of my Oakie Mom. Buck Owens often said, he knew he was home when he saw that sign after being on the road for so long. It was damaged in a fire in 1960 and was going to be demolished. So, Buck rescued it from destruction and had it beautifully restored and reinstalled on Buck Owens Boulevard in 1999 next to his famed Crystal Palace just off the new 99 freeway.

We'll Miss You Buck!

Bakerfields.com

"STREETS OF BAKERSFIELD"

I came here looking for something
I couldn’t find anywhere else
Hey, I’m not trying to be nobody
Just want a chance to be myself

I’ve done a thousand miles of thumbin’
I’ve worn blisters on my heels
Trying to find me something better
On the streets of bakersfield

Have ever walked the streets of bakersfield?

Spent some time in san francisco
Spent a night there in the can
They threw this drunk man in my jail cell
Took fifteen dollars from that man
Left him my watch and my old house key
Don’t want folks thinkin’ that I’d steal
Then I thanked him as I was leaving, and
I headed for the streets of bakersfield

Have ever walked the streets of bakersfield?

How many of you that sit and judge me

~Dwight Yoakam~