1230 E Main St, Barstow, CA, 92311
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Barstow

Hands off chicky..that's my MAN!........lolHands off chicky..that's my MAN!........lol

Housed in the Harvey HouseHoused in the Harvey House

Lovely streetLovely street

Cool little parkCool little park

overnight stay

by albionkev

Hi,
We are a group of 6 guys travelling from England.We are travelling from LAX to our final destination of LasVegas to celebrate a milestone 40th birthday.On route we are visiting DeathValley and have made the journey in one hit on several occasions.This is getting harder and harder.Over the last twelve years or more there seems to be a lot more congestion on the interstates. The journey time is too much particularly after an eleven hour flight.We are looking to stay about half way between LA and DV.Barstow seems to fit the bill as we would like to visit Calico the next morning.Could anyone suggest a reasonable motel to stay at,resonable priced diners and a good friendly bar or two nearby within walking distance would be great.
thanks
Kev

by johngayton

Yep, Barstow's a pretty cool, odd-bod of a place. I've only been once (on an unpreplanned overnight stop) and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which was OK but a bit out of town. I did notice a couple of cheap-looking motels closer to downtown once I'd arrived which I would assume have plenty of spare rooms for an overnight stay without pre-booking - though I cetainly wouldn't attempt to make recommendations about them.

Friendliest bar I found was "Mollie's" on the main drag and there's a "Coco's Bakery" pretty much next door which is an OK diner. There is a sort of freebie downtown shuttle service but it's not official.

If you relate to Hunter S Thompson this is the sort of town you'll enjoy ;)

Have a goood trip!

by Beausoleil

Hi. There is a large outlet mall just before you arrive in Barstow. There are a lot of motels and restaurants all around it. I suspect you can just walk into any of them and get a couple rooms for the night. Equally sure you will have no trouble getting some drinks in the area . . . and even shopping if you like outlets. LOL

I'm not sure what is in downtown Barstow but I vaguely remember a very nice Mexican restaurant. Perhaps someone will log on with a name and address for you. There is a railroad museum in town you might enjoy. Calico Ghost Town is lots of fun; you'll enjoy it.

Enjoy your trip. Wise decision to take a break on the drive to Las Vegas. Yes, you can do it, but after a long flight, it's not much fun and you are wiped out when you get to your destination.

by Martinewezel

In Spring we stayed at the Best Western in Barstow. It was ok, and the included breakfast was not bad. The only minus is the location, in a rather dangerous bend.
And concerning Calico... are you sure you want to go there? We had big expectations, and the visit to the old miner's town was the reason why we stopped in Barstow, but this turned out into a big bummer! There is nothing, really nothing special to see. And the staff of Calico is not motivated neither friendly. The restaurant was closed. The only very spectacular experience was the strong wind. At least we now know how hard it was to live there. Hats off for those who survived there. Perhaps it might be worth a short stroll after all.

Travel Tips for Barstow

NEEDLES offer your choice of...

by Routeman

NEEDLES offer your choice of service stations, motels, restaurants, grocery stores, hardware store, drug stores, 'specialty shops', automotive parts stores, two marina parks, and an aquatic center with a water slide for the summer months.

Fire Helmet Memorial to 343 Firemen Lost

by Yaqui

I thought this was really neat and caught my eye as we were headed to the Mojave Rver Valley Musuem. We just had to check it out. I thought it was a wonderful memorial and reminder of how many lives we lost and how many families were affected by 9-11.

Located near Interstate 15 exit, Centennial Park, Dana Park and Mojave River Valley Museum.

861 Barstow Rd, Barstow.

Great food at an inexpensive price

by spartan about Donut Star & Star Wok Express

You'd never expect that a place which makes donuts would also serve delicious Chinese food. It's an unassuming place, but that's always where you find the best food. I chose Orange Chicken, Chicken with Mushrooms, fried rice and chow mein.

The Heat is High, Life is COOL!

by johngayton

Barstow as a town brought to mind the late writer Hunter S Thompson and strangely enough I have just found out that gets a mention in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", Hunter S's classic piece of Gonzo road trip (literally!) writing. I don't know what he had to say about the place but I reckon he would have fitted in, it's definitely that sort of place in my very limited experience.

This was intended merely as an overnight stop en route to southern California, having been effectively refused entry to Las Vegas, but turned into quite a memorable visit :)

The town itself is situated at the junction of Interstates 15 and 40 and is on the historic Route 66 (it even gets a mention in the song!) about midway between Las Vegas and Los Angeles and is the only major town in the area. The town grew up in the late 1800's around the silver mining in the area and has seen fluctuating fortunes since then with its present economy depending on the railroad marshalling yards of the Union Pacific and BNSF railways as well its crossroads location.

"People Make Places!"

Having checked into the Holiday Inn Express we decided to go downtown in search of a bite to eat, ending up in the local Coco's. The bar next door caught my eye - it certainly looked like my sort of bar, and so letting my travelling companion return to the hotel for an early night I decided to stop downtown for a few beers nand that's when the fun started - see tips!

Comments