Berkeley Inn

Tags

Budget Travel Backpacking
See Amenities
Tunamerica's Profile Photo

DO NOT GO ! N'Y ALLEZ PAS ! ME' TEMCHIWLOUCH !

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 1, 2012

OK, THIS IS A HORRIBLE PLACE , TRY ANY OTHER MOTEL BUT THIS THING AND THIS IS WHY:
1- THE DOORS OF THE STAIRCASES LEADING TO THE 2ND AND 3RD FLOORS ALL DO HAVE CARD READERS, BUT, NO ONE IS WORKING, WHICH MEANS THE DOORS ARE 24/24 UNLOCKED AND ANYBODY FROM THE STREET COULD WANDER AROUND AND EVEN BREAK INTO YOUR ROOM.
2- THERE R NO CAMERAS ON THE HALLWAYS, AND LEMME' REMIND YOU THAT THIS MOTEL IS RIGHT ON SAN PABLO AVENUE WHICH'S PRETTY BUSY.
3-THERE'S NO HOTEL GATES WHAT-SO-EVER, U WALK IN RIGHT FROM THE STREET INTO THE PARKING LOT (VERY SMALL) ONTO THE ROOMS.
4-THE OWNER AND/OR MANAGER OF THE HOTEL IS AN INDIAN FAMILY THAT LIVES IN THE CHECK IN DESK - DON'T LAUGH, IT'S TRUE, - YOU WILL SMELL CURRY FROM THAT SMALL WINDOW WHEN U CHECK IN AND IF YOU R CURIOUS LIKE MYSELF AND TAKE A LOOK BEYOND THAT, U'LL C A LIVING ROOM, ON THE WINDOW NEXT TO IT , IT SEEMS TO BE THEIR KITCHEN , THEY HAVE ALL THEIR BOTTLES OF SPICES DISPLAYED- THIS FAMILY, DESPITE LIVING ON-SITE, DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING bip bip bip ABOUT WHO COMES IN AND OUT - THEY ACTUALLY DON'T EVEN NOTICE ANYTHING.
5- RUDEST DUDE ON EARTH ! THE MANAGER AND/OR OWNER IS EXTREMELY RUDE, I CAME AROUND 12.30PM - CHECK IN TIME IS 3PM BUT HE REFUSED TO ADMIT ME AND HAD TO GO TO CAFE LEILA (RIGHT NEXT DOOR) AND WAIT FOR MY ROOM TO BE READY BY 3PM - HOTELS USUALLY DO EARLY AND LATE CHECK INS OUTTA' COURTESY, WITH THIS DUDE: FORGET IT! (I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT HE DID OFFER TO KEEP MY LUGGAGE 'TILL 3PM, WHICH OF COURSE WHAT OUTTA' QUESTION GIVEN HIS WEIRD ATTITUDE.)
6-THE STAIRWAYS ARE DIRTY AND SMELLY, THE ROOM SMELLS HUMIDITY, IF U'RE ALLERGIC: YOU'LL SUFFER !
7-PEOPLE WHO LIKE WATCHING TV, THERE ARE ABOUT 6 CHENNELS, DON'T BE RELYING ON FINDING CABLE TV ETC...
8-THE FIRST NIGHT I WAS THERE (ROOM309), I NOTICED , AROUND 5PM OR SO, THE DOOR OF THE ROOM NXT DOOR WIDE OPEN , THERE WAS NO ONE SMOKING OUTSIDE OR ANYTHING, IT WAS JUST WIDE OPEN - I THOUGHT THE TENANT WAS INSIDE AND FELT LIKE ALLOWING SOME FRESH AIR IN - LEFT TO THE CITY AND CAME BACK AROUND 11PM OR MIDNIGHT AND I NOTICED THAT THE ROOM'S DOOR WAS STILL THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE I LEAVE - THE LIGHTS WERE OFF - I PASSED IN FRONT OF IT OUTTA' CURIOSITY, SEEMED LIKE NO ONE WAS IN THE ROOM - THE BED WAS UNDONE- IT WAS REALLY FREAKY. I LATER UNDERSTOOD THAT WHOEVER WAS THERE LEFT THE HOTEL AND LEFT THE DOOR OPEN - BUT HEY, A DOOR OF A ROOM IS OPEN ALL DAY AND NO ONE FROM THE MANAGEMENT NOTICING ANYTHING ???? HOW SAFE U'D THINK I'D FEEL ?
9-NEXT MORNING LEFT THE ROOM AND CAME BACK, NO ONE CLEANED IT - I HAD TO GO DOWNSTAIRS TO SEE THE MANAGER (THE SAME INDIAN DUDE) TO ASK HIM FOR TOWELS, HE SAID YEAH THE HOUSEKEEPER DID NOT COME TODAY ... UMMMH, AND THAT'S IT - LIKE HE DIDN'T FEEL LIKE APOLOGIZING OR ANYTHING, HE PROBABLY ASSUMED, IT'S NOT HIS OR HIS HOTEL'S FAULT, IT'S THE HOUSEKEEPER'S SO NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE - IT ALRIGHT, CUSTOMERS WILL JUST CLEAN THEIR OWN ROOMS !
10-THE NEXT DAY, MY FLIGHT WAS DELAYED, I GOT AN SMS FROM THE AIRLINE WARNING ME OF THAT, I CALLED THE "RECEPTION"(WHICH'S THE INDIAN FAMILY HOUSE) , HIS WIFE ANSWERED, I ASKED HER, SHE SAID HOLD ON , PASSED ME TO HER HUSBAND, TOLD HIM I NEEDED A LATE CHECK OUT (ONLY AN HR AND 30 MIN - YOU CAN DO ANY LATE CHECK OUT FROM 0 TO 2 HRS COMPLIMENTARY ANYWHERE IN ANY HOTEL IN THE WORLD) BUT HE ANSWERED: IF YOU WANT TO CHECK OUT IN AN HOUR AND A HALF , YOU PAY $20 XTRA - I LAUGHED AND SAID OKAY, HE SAID OKAY WHAT? U WILL PAY? I SAID: UMMMH,NO, I'M NOT, WENT AGAIN TO CAFE LEILA AND HAVE A GR8 TIME THERE BEFORE LEAVING.

THIS PLACE IS ONE OF THE WORST I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE AND ANYWHERE I WENT - AND BELIEVE ME I TRAVEL A LOT FOR LEISURE AND BUSINESS !

Unique Quality: CLOSE TO BART

Amenities at Berkeley Inn

• Free Parking
  • Business Services

Berkeley Travel Forum

Need advice about Berkeley, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Berkeley and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Berkeley hotel reviews