Doubletree Hotel Berkeley Marina

200 Marina Blvd, (formerly Berkeley Marina Radisson), Berkeley, California, 94710, United States

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Romantic, NOT for business traveler

Needed to teach two days of classes in Bay Area and got great deal through Priceline. Location is out on artificial marina, so secluded from the hustle & bustle of urban activity. Rooms were very nice inside, quite romantic. Unfortunately, I was not there for a romantic outing, I was there for business. I got spotty cellphone coverage with AT&T and my data card from AT&T only could get 1 bar of service with 2G speed ~400 Kbps. I had several things to work on, so I "splurged" by spending the $10/day for wired Internet from the hotel; BIG mistake. Hotel's Internet was far too slow for modern day Internet use... 350 Kbps download with 128 Kbps upload; too slow for any graphics. I was thankfully granted a refund for Internet access. The TV was one of the nicest I've seen in a hotel, but unfortunately, all of the channels expect for the pay-per-view promo channel looked absolutely aweful, with top and bottom of images chopped off and very poor picture quality. So... no reliable cell service, no reliable Internet and nothing good to watch on TV... only leaves romance.... I was by myself.

I went to the restaurant to see what was available. As I'm a vegetarian, I asked to see a menu before sitting down; GOOD decision. There was not a single item on the menu, including appitizers and salads that were vegetarian. Everything was extremely expensive too. I drove over to nearby Emeryville, where I had many options; I settled on California Pizza Kitchen, which I liked.

Directions: Berkeley Marina

• RoseAmano's Profile Photo

Close to the Hornblower Cruising!

I stayed in this hotel for a conference, which also included a lovely night on a pleasure cruise aboard the Hornblower.

It was a decent hotel with shuttle service to/from airport, however not a good location for leaving the premises and go "walking" to shops, restaurants etc. If you go, and would like to see the area besides the hotel you are better off to rent a car for ease of transport .

More about Doubletree Hotel Berkeley Marina

Very Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member bdh1968

I recommended the Doubletree Berkeley Marina to some friends when they visited. It was very disappointing to say the least. The service was horrible, and the property is very run down.

Disappointing!

by TripAdvisor Member engrossi

We just spent a night at the Doubletree, Berkeley Marina, and I'm not sure we would return. It's a good location with a pretty setting and nice views, but check in was a disaster, and there was a constant alarm sound that persisted through the night. Maybe it was something from the marina, but there needs to be some more insulation in the rooms if that is the case. Check in took nearly 25 minutes, there were no carts to use for our luggage and after we had unloaded and then parked our car, we were told that because our room was far away we really should drive there. The receptionist then told us that she couldn't possibly help us find a luggage cart so we schlepped everything back to the car and then to our room. Lastly, despite the fact that everyone around us was being offered the "Doubletree Cookies," we weren't. Small issue, but a) that's one thing the chain claims as special, and b) everyone else was clearly being offered cookies because check in was taking so long.

Pretty disappointing

The Doubletree has an excellent view of the marina but the rooms are quite dirty and poorly maintained. In the room that I stayed in, the furniture had large rips in the seat cushions and there were dirt marks on the arm rests. The air conditioning/heating unit did not work. The remote for the TV barely worked; it would only allow channels to be changed in one direction. The bathroom had old fixtures and the shower had low water pressure. As with everything else with the hotel, the indoor pool area looked better in the pictures. Like the room, the indoor pool area was also poorly maintained. The spa had foamy water and the pool had a strange likeness to pond water. There is a pungent chlorine smell throughout the pool area. If all that I've listed isn’t bad enough, I should mention the housekeeping knocks on all rooms at 9am. I suppose this acceptable if I were staying at a super ocho motel, but I sure wasn't expecting this experience from the Doubletree chain.

They need a Manager

by TripAdvisor Member Armatrak

I travel quite a bit and stay in all kinds of hotels all over the country. I just stayed at this property for 3 nights while in Berkeley doing a show. The location is great, the views are great, the front desk staff was very good and accommodating, the bellmen who drove us into town a few times was nice. The restaurant is weak, I only ate breakfast but as in everything else at this property, they just seem to miss their mark. You can tell that everybody works very hard and they are all very nice at this hotel but there just doesn’t seem to be anyone driving the bus. The rooms are ok not great, the cleaning staff also missed there mark by a maids hair…which one of the guys I was traveling with had a slew of in his shower when he checked in. Be sure to stay in building 4 otherwise the infamous channel bell will keep you up all night, otherwise this is probably one of the best options in the area.

Location is perfect but...

by TripAdvisor Member holarosebud

I stayed here because of the great rate I got through a travel website for the hotel class. Although location was unbeatable, the hotel itself was subpar. The bathroom was not clean (hair all over the floor) and the water pressure was weak. The glass door's lock did not work; instead you had to use a bar to keep it shut tight. The staff was friendly and helpful but it did not make up for the overall mediocre experience. Also, the cleaning staff tried to come in while we were still inside without as much as a knock (it was only 9AM). Emeryville is very close and has a Holiday Inn that is much more satisfactory.

I expect more from Doubletree

I've stayed at Doubletrees before and have always been impressed with the quality of the hotels and the service. This experience was different.

My room was nice, but the hotel itself is dated. For example, to reach my room on the second floor, I used dingy concrete staircase. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean.

The service quality was generally poor. In the lounge area, where maybe 5 people were buying drinks, three bartenders could hardly keep up. Used room service dishes piled up in the hallways for hours. Room service was mediocre. There aren't a lot of mid-range hotels in the Berkeley area, and for $189 a night, frankly, I expected better.

Horrible Hotel Do Not Stay Here

by TripAdvisor Member 3MMartin

I have never in my life been at such a seedy hotel. It was awful. We had a business meeting here. The room was gross. The sliding glass door in the room never actually sealed or locked- so the whole time I was there it was cracked open. I was on the 3rd floor so at least I was ok and no one could climb up the bldg to get in. The place was awful. It reminded me of a homeless shelter. The meeting center was lovely however. The spread they offer is very nice.

I can not belive they would offer people such horrible rooms. It was just gross. One of the members of my group found a pair of dirty underwear under her bed that belonged to a child. Need I say more about this nightmare hotel?

Charged me for 4 nts when I stayed 3!!

by TripAdvisor Member AJW34

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree in Berkeley over the recent Thanksgiving holiday, 3 nights. When I opened my Visa bill, I discovered we had been charged for 4 nights. I called the hotel, was put through to accounting, the woman there took my name and number and said she would call back and then never did. I just spoke with them again (2 days later, 2 long distance calls, and on hold forever), and they've finally agreed to credit my account, with no apology or explanation. We found the hotel to be clean (unlike some other reviewers) and not seedy, but beware an unholy noise level from rooms next door (we had to change rooms because children were screaming and playing at 11 at night, we could hear everything). The hotel is not terrible, but I would never stay here again.

Comments