Big Bear Cool Cabins

40375 Big Bear Boulevard, P.O. Box 120326, Big Bear Lake, California, 92315, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

• Winner! winner! winner!

Wow. So many questionable reviews for Cool Cabins but our friends had stayed at a cabin they absolutely (and ridiculously) LOVED called Lakeside Vintage, so we (well, my wife) went with their recommendation. Since we had been directed we had no problems at all and upon arrival I understood what our friends raved about. It was a great cabin. It is small and Very vintage (1940's?) and clean, with a dock, and the lake is right there. The evergreen smell was intoxicatingly blissful and my wife spent hours out on the porch swing while I fished. It put us in another time and we really felt relaxed there. I appreciate the owners that share this little piece of heaven with the public, I wouldn't if it were mine, yes it was that nice. The beds were comfortable (bedrooms were small) and would have loved to light the fireplace at night but it was too warm to. Staying there was really special, so many small conveniences available (like chairs for the dock to sit on, warming blankets on the beds, very clean windows, lots of cd's and movies plus cable, nice handrail going down the easy stairs to the cabin..plus plus) lots of thoughtful things like that. Most of all it was comfortable and clean. It was worth the drive and the cost. Looking forward to staying at Big Bear Lakeside Vintage Cabin again.

Unique Quality: Driving in to the driveway slowly as we looked down to our right and saw the lake right in front of that cabin I knew our friends guided us to a perfect respite. Only then, did I respond to my wife's excitement.

Directions: Cabin is: Turn right and travel over the new bridge into the Boulder (bay) area. A mile or so turn left on to Cove drive. You will loop-d-doop up and around and you'll see a post (lakeside) that has 687 in red on it.

More about Big Bear Cool Cabins

Best Getaway anywhere near Los Angeles

by TripAdvisor Member allNtowin

For three years now I have made a weekend trip to Big Bear and stayed in Cool Cabin rentals each time. After my first trip I didn't need to look any further. Each time I have stayed in a completly different rental and was pleasantly suprised each time. The cabins were very clean and after unpacking it feels like your own lake house. Since my wife and I enjoyed our first two trips staying near the main street (check out Chad's - local bar/hotspot), we decided to get a larger group together and splurge on a lake front cabin. It was the perfect enviroment to forget about your troubles and have fun with friends.

Terrible and Unsafe

by TripAdvisor Member Grpa

We stayed at "A Resort For All Seasons." Door to bedroom fell off its mounting; railing for step down to a bedroom was wobbly; faucet in the kitchen sink was loose and coming off; reported smoke detector problem to off ice and received no help. Bunk bed in a bedroom was wobbly and in danger of tipping over; legs on fooseball game were broken and was in danger of falling. The worst is that we were charged for damage to the hot tub jets. The hot tub was left in the condition we found it and we did no damage. I am fighting the charge.

Cool Cabins-Summit Chalet at Big Bear Lake-horrible place

by TripAdvisor Member EscondidoHorseyLady

We went for a family reunion-24 of us. We had side by side Chalet's. The were very dirty. Stains on carpet, dirty sheets, dirty bathrooms. In one of the units the oven, garbage disposal and dishwasher did not work. We had to keep moving dishes back and forth from one unit to the other.
We got up there on thursday and called about the oven right away and the dishwasher on friday. We left on Sunday and they were never fixed!!!

There were also broken mini blinds, and some windows did not have any blinds at all. A couple of doors had holes in them, broken tiles in the bathroom and ants in both units.
I would be embarressed to rent them out if I were Cool Cabins.

I would never use Cool Cabins again. They almost ruined a family reunion. We had family coming from all over the US.

Great Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member SunandFunHemet

Stayed in Bayside Cabin and we had a great time. The cabin was cozy and you could walk right out to the lake. Called office for small problems and they fixed quickly. I will definatley book again. We are thinking of a White Christmas...

loved it!!! had such a Wonderful time!!! already planning next trip!

by TripAdvisor Member prettycle4

I planned this trip for thanksgiving for my family and we had
an amazing time!!! ..We just fell in love with our cabin!! My kids,
can't wait to go back.. neither can we!! We stayed in cornerstone in Moonridge..it was so charming! it was clean and beautiful...they provided all the amenities, including towels, shampoo and soap. I was able to cook a full course thanksgiving dinner with no problems at all! we had a blast!! I highly recommend using coolcabins. The staff was also very sweet, pleasant and helpful. We just got home and are already planning our next trip up!!

My Little Cabin

by TripAdvisor Member Chasingana

Our stay at Acorn Cabin of Cool Cabins was amazing! It felt like my real home our entire stay. It was clean and well stocked with amenities. Booking the cabin was super easy and hassle free! The staff was very accomidating. All it took was one 10 minute phone call and I was set for the weekend. I will FOR SURE be booking with Cool Cabins again.

USE ANOTHER COMPANY!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ethanerickson

Simply put...Use another company!! Big Bear Cool Cabins was an all around horrible experience! Due to the strict policies of TripAdvisor I can't go into all the details but suffice it to say I never got to stay with them the weekend I "booked" (in quotes because I was assured the booking was not complete until paperwork was completed and returned via fax) and yet was charged. When asked about it, I was met with incredibly impolite, unprofessional attitudes. Even though I now have a credit that I had to fight for (they didn't contact me, I only caught it because I looked closely at my Visa statements) I have zero interest in staying with them and consider it an expensive lesson. I am going through this trouble so you do not experience the same....

DO NOT BOOK WITH COOL CABINS!!! Your life may depend upon it!!!

by TripAdvisor Member viknee

This place was a death trap, and Cool Cabins (the property management) couldn't care less! If I owned this property, I would do the fine area of Big Bear a favor, and tear it down! We were greeted with two flights, and a long pathway of 4-6 inches deep neck breaking ice at the entrance of the cabin. Followed by a gas leak inside the cabin from a mid 20th century oven with a pilot light that was out (this drop in stove/oven should be replaced--there's a reason they scrapped this technology almost thirty years ago, because its deadly!). No instructions on how to operate the wall heater (again, mid 20th century technology from hell), and we almost froze at night when the temperatures dropped down to the mid teens. It had snowed 4 INCHES (yes, inches) during the night, and even with a skilled driver, an off road vehicle and cables we still got stuck on the horrible road on which the cabin is located. When I called the office for a little assistance, they were useless and patronizing! All I heard was that this was the most snow at one time in 35 years!!! Really? That's balderdash! My trip to Big Bear booked through Cool Cabins is an experience I'll regret for the rest of my life. Save yourselves friends, and STAY AWAY! Personally, I'll stick to Utah and/or Colorado where 3-4 feet of snow in one night is a common occurrence, and doesn't become MY problem. As both a California native and resident, I prefer to support local business as much as possible, but NOT if it means taking my life into my own hands, and dealing with customer service that strictly takes your money, and to heck with you! My apologies for rambling on, but I feel its my duty to protect the public, and my fellow consumers from such scams as these. Please be kind to yourself, and select another property management to book your Big Bear stay, and I hope unlike our experience, yours will be a safe, sane, and wonderful experience. Thank you for caring enough to read this review.

Do NOT book through Cool Cabins!

by TripAdvisor Member mfstansbury1

Although we had no problems with the condo we rented, it was fine, the booking process was terrible! If you do use Cool Cabins, be aware of the LATE 4pm check in time - which really means 6pm by the time you wait in line with about 200 other people just to get your keys and then get to your rental. We got into town early hoping we could check in early but the office does not even open until 4pm. The line started forming in the hallway about 3pm. Also, their policy is a 10am checkout time, which means you better get the kids up early, fed and out of the place you rent fast. Not worth a weekend trip since your first and last days cannot be enjoyed in the place you rent. I recommend finding a different property management company or private owner to work with. We had rented this same condo a few years before and did not have these ridiculous policies - wish I had remembered who we used before. I won't use Cool Cabins again.

Dirty Cabin

by TripAdvisor Member AnnaML

My family and i rented from Big Bear Cool Cabin and stayed at M&Ms Cabin. Before booking with Big Bear Cool Cabin, it slipped my mind to check this website, and boy did i pay for it!!! I had given them my credit card information and after reading everyone's review, i was afraid to cancel it, in fear that they would run my credit card anyways. So long story short, we were stuck in this hell hole. Although we did not have any problems with the booking process and the staff like a lot of people did, my problem was with the cabin. First of all, for a cabin in the mountains with freezing temperature, you would think that it would be well insolated, well, its not! We had the fireplace, the furnace ( which btw we had problem turining it on and had to call big bear cabin, but they were there within 15 mins) 2 heaters on the whole night and the temp in the cabin was still below 60s F . (temp outside was 54 F, not much difference!) The furnitures were old and outdated, the pull out couch had a huge rip on the cushion. The bathroom door was very hard to open, everytime the kids had to go to the bathroom, my husband had to open the door, i cant even open the door. And my BIGGEST TURN OFF was the DOG POOP all over the back yard !!!!!! COME ON???? I had nightmares about the backyard, i couldnt sleep the whole night thinking about the DOG POOP. So much for my relaxing weekend! Big Bear Cool Cabin, you rented this place, i know the cabins are privately owned but you guys manage the rentals on this property, this was your responsibility!!! This reflects on you poorly, and altough i didnt have any problems dealing with your staff directly, i blame you for this DIRTY AWFUL CABIN. What happened to the cleaning fee we all had to pay??? Not much cleaning done here!

• Jan 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM

No Customer Service...Don't book!I called Cool Cabins to reserve a cabin for a family trip and checked availability, cabin options and so forth. I went ahead a booked online; Received a Booking number and Confirmation email. We were set. Everyone in our party made travel arrangements; took time off and so forth. When calling to finalize details (i.e.: where to pick up the key and so forth) was told it was canceled! No notification...nothing! So unprofessional! What if I didn't call? What was going to happen then?? So disappointed in the way they handled this situation! I explained how everyone had made travel arrangement and that I was willing to work with them...maybe fins a comparable place with same pricing. But NOPE, didn't happen. My options were (1)pay for another night, even though we were only coming up for one night or (2)get another place…which all other places costed $200+ or more than the one originally booked. Was placed on hold, transferred and finally told about their "Policy". I have nothing else to say about any business that doesn't see the damage they caused to families...especially when they pull the "policy" trick. Very disappointing. Was willing to work with them but unfortunately they preferred not to have our business. So sad...so sad.....

• Jan 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM