Big Bear Lake Hotels

• suebee36 profile photo suebee36
  • Reviews: 11

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pine Knot Guest Ranch: Beware of Old Cabins

Pine Knot Guest ranch offers a cluster of small cabins close to village and manages other properties sprinkled throughout the lakefront, town area and ski resort area. Shame on me for not lookiing more critically at the pictures of the cabin we rented. At $310 per night, I figured it would be of good quality.

What a surprise. The kitchen was dilapitated. Cooking a 30 minute birthday cake took well over an hour in the 1950'ies oven. Kitchen was formica, linoleum, no dishwasher (very telling...the management charges $25 for unwashed dishes). Kitchen did not have basics like dishtowels, salt pepper, etc. The usual touches in a cabin that make cooking a little bit easier. Moreover, there was a metal rod coming out from under the house into the kitchen that protruded into the open kitchen floor by over 5 inches (I am NOT kidding)...a wee bit of a saftey hazard for any adult, not to mention two small children.

Bathrooms were dilapidated as well. Mold and decades old caulking surrounded the wallpapered tub enclosure. Paneling and baseboards were pulling away from the walls, leaving rusted nails exposed.

And, NO heat in 2 of the 3 bedrooms. Bedroom doors had to be left open to the main room with the in-wall heater.

Finally, the management was pretty unaccommodating to our family (three kids under three) when we arrived early. Even the the web-site said early check in was okay if the room was ready, the fellow basically told us to take a hike until 2pm when it would be "ready". We know the cabin was empty the prior week (i.e., was "ready"), moreover, they would not even allow us into the small office to wait for the cabin. IT was FREEZING outside.
The woman owner was much friendlier and appreciated the feedback I gave her at the end of the trip (the comments herein). She even updated the website to reflect the lack of heat in 2 bedrooms and offered me a discount.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Skiing and Boarding
  • Written January 16, 2007
Tip Photo

• Sienlu profile photo Sienlu
  • Reviews: 67

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Awesome family getaway - full log cabin: Perfect, beautiful quiet cabin with 5 bedrooms

We stayed in this beautiful cabin, in a really quiet area in Big Bear Lake on Castle Crag Road. I would really recommend it! It has 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, decorated with lots of taste, very clean, full kitchen amenities, blow dryer, vacuum, washer and dryer, jacuzzi in a beautiful surrounding. TVs in almost every rooms. Has even a Wii with games and DVDs. Also has a pool table. Perfect for up to 13 people. It was an amazing place, I cannot wait to go back in winter time as well.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written August 1, 2011
Tip Photo

• Erin74 profile photo Erin74
  • Reviews: 304

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Big Bear Vacations Cabins: Rent a cabin (through Big Bear Vacations)

When you're in Big Bear, the best way to experience the area is to rent a cabin. There are several different companies that will rent cabins of all sizes and in all price ranges. My favorite is Big Bear Vacations, which has some lovely properties at reasonable prices. Check out their website for photos and descriptions of the cabins.

You can choose from around 200 Big Bear cabins and vacation rental homes, including eleven individual, fully equipped cabins on the lakefront property at Shore Acres Lodge. Renting a cabin is a great option if you have a large group of people!

Big Bear Vacations will also act as your concierge and can book ski tickets, horseback riding excursions, dinner reservations or anything you may need in the Big Bear area.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Skiing and Boarding
  • Written January 4, 2004

• imamtngirl profile photo imamtngirl
  • Reviews: 8

Goldmine Lodge: Very pleasing suite

I searched for hours to find a nice place for us to stay at Big Bear Lake. Most of the places are quite old, but not old and quaint, not old and rustic, just old and crappy. Most of them looked clean but I wanted something nice, well decorated and comfortable. I admit that I'm spoiled and I like nice places but I'm also on a budget and need a good deal. Goldmine was perfect for all my wants and needs.

We stayed in the Deer Room and I love the rustic, cabin style of decorating. The rooms are smallish but big enough. The bathroom was huge and that made me very happy. We cooked dinner in the room both nights. The kitchen was stocked with standard items. One night we used the gas grill down at the owners. The owners were very pleasant and accomodating. They have the most adorable little miniature dachsunds too. You've gotta love a dog lover!

There wasn't a pool but if you want to swim you go down to the lake. The Goldmine is an easy 5 min drive from the main swimming beach. They do have a hottub which was very nice for a relaxing evening. It's not huge but plenty big enough for my husband and I.

The property has lots of huge pine trees all over which makes it wonderfully shaddy. It's not down in "The Village" but I prefer having the green space and trees all around. There is shopping and restaurants within walking distance. We walked to a couple of nearby shops.

Few places in Big Bear have air conditioning and I was a little worried as I can't sleep at all if it's warm but our rooms were very comfortable day and night. We slept with the windows wide open and weren't bothered by any noises at all. They have a blackout blind in the bedroom that allowed us to sleep in and we love that.

• Related to: Photography, Water Sports, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons