Mallard Bay Resort

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 68 reviews
Booking.com Expedia.com

DON'T RUIN YOUR VACATION STAYING HERE

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 16, 2011

PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE!! DON”T RUIN YOUR VACATION!! The owner is in the hospitality business, but is NOT AT ALL HOSPITABLE! He promises you a resort stay, but gives you the boarding school treatment. WHY:

1) Maybe prejudice: He doesn’t think minorities who speak fluent English can truly understand English. He doesn’t think that minorities can “behave themselves”.
2) Maybe he doesn't like his job or he doesn’t strive to be good at his job.
3) Maybe he likes his property more than he trusts/likes people. He’s a snob.

Either way, spend your money and MORE IMPORTANTLY, SPEND YOUR PRECIOUS VACATION SOMEWHERE ELSE!! You don’t want to be staying somewhere that you are always held in suspicion for no reason.

HE WAS ADMINISTRATIVELY UNORGANIZED: He failed to send me reservation confirmation after asking over the phone on 3 occasions. I decided to go up earlier, but could not process the reservation for the additional days over the internet. He said he would take care of it and took my credit card info. He said he would call back in 1 hour. He never did. I called back 5 hours later. He said he got busy and he wasn't sure if I wanted it anymore. Okay... whatever... I had a bad feeling. Maybe he didn’t like my last name? I tried to give the person the benefit of the doubt.

OVERLY PROTECTIVE OF HIS PROPERTY: Over the phone before he even met me, he kept telling me there are rules. He repeatedly told me (3 times) the maximum occupancy for the room. He said he knows he seems like a stickler for rules. That’s fine. I said that I understood. During the check-in, the owner is not necessarily friendly, but whatever, he again reminds me (2 times) of the maximum occupancy rule. SIGH!

He is watching us like a hawk. I brought my nephew and 2 nieces over from where they were staying to swim (in the empty pool) with my kids. We weren’t causing any disturbance. We weren't trying to sneak in. The pool is right in front of the office. BIG MISTAKE! I guess I am not allowed to have visitors. This is not in the contract. The owner summons me over from his office to come over, wagging his finger like he is the principal of a school and I am a school girl who just got busted. How rude! I ignore him. He comes to the pool area, points his finger at my family in the pool and curtly interrogates me about who are the children in the pool. I tell him. He condescendingly tells me, “I wish you asked for permission. Now you are going to have to disappointment them.” I calmly complied and instructed the kids to come out. He comes back a minute later and tells me to let them swim as long as we watch them. He didn’t want to have them “disappointed”, but made sure I knew I was at fault. Wow… how “big of him”! There are signs posted everywhere of the rules for this place. BUT there was no sign saying that the swimming pool is for guests only. He tells me that it’s for “insurance purposes” and that it is in the contract. THE CONTRACT MAKES NO MENTION OF THIS RULE. HE JUST WANTED US OUT OF THE VIRTUALLY EMPTY POOL (2 other people in the pool). Even if that is the rule, no problem. BUT THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR HOW HE HANDLED THE SITUATION AND HIS TOTAL DISRESPECT TO ME.

The whole vacation I’m now worried he is going to pop out his head. As planned, we did a room change when my husband came up to meet us. We did the paperwork for the bigger place. The owner again reminds me of the maximum occupancy rule. REALLY!! SIGH!! He shows me the contract. I tell him curtly, “ I can read!!” After this incident, he starts to talk nicer. Instead of being condescending, he tries to now be patronizing. He’ll say, “Oh, I was just looking out for you.” Whatever. I already paid. For my family’s sake, I’ll make the best of it. We were spending most of our time with our family at the house rental down the street anyway.

HE’S A PREJUDICIAL SNOB: I confronted the owner during check-out about how appalled I was with his suspicious behavior throughout my family’s stay. He made no apologies for not following through with email confirmations or calling me back when he said he would. He tried to tell me he treats all his guests the same way. I’m thinking that is not good and wondering why he is in the hospitality business. I told him that he was prejudice. On more than one occasion, I saw he and his wife nicely conversing to either who were other guests (I didn’t get that welcoming treatment) or their visitors (why does he get to have visitors and are they following the parking rule that he repeatedly reminded me of, “Guests only”, because parking was really limited. We had to create a space on the side of the road. I made sure to ask first. The hypocrisy is disgusting!).

He did not see anything wrong with how he disrespectfully handled the swimming pool incident. I am a grown adult. He talked to me like a child. BUT IT WAS FUTILE TALKING TO HIM. I knew it would be, but I had to say “my peace”. He is someone who is on his “high horse” and thinks, talks and behaves that way towards his customers or at least, some of his customers.

PLEASE DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE! YOUR MEMORIES WILL BE UNDESERVEDLY TAINTED!

Nearby Mallard Bay Resort

• Kids Activities
  • Kitchenette
  • Free High Speed Internet

Big Bear Lake Travel Forum

Need advice about Big Bear Lake, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Big Bear Lake and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Big Bear Lake hotel reviews