40650 Village Dr, Big Bear Lake, California, 92315, United States

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Erin74's Profile Photo

Northwoods Resort

Northwoods Resort is located right near the heart of Big Bear's village area. It's one of the largest hotels in the area and a great choice for lodging. The resort is just down the street from dining and skiing options-- you're walking distance to all that the village has to offer. Northwoods Resort has a pool & spa, plus a cozy lobby with a fireplace. There is a restaurant in the hotel (Stillwells) and Northwoods offers room service.

The rooms are decorated to look like a mountain sporting lodge, with stone and knotty pine accents. Suites range in price from $199 to $499 a night. Check with the hotel for specials and group discounts.

More about Northwoods Resort

A great family hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tlc2

After much research we decided to stay at the Northwoods resort for our after christmas ski trip with our blended family, 4 adults, 2 teens and one 4 year old. We had a large suite with an attached bedroom and additional room. The accomidations were great and the location perfect, starbucks only a 4 minute walk. We hardly got in our cars at all. The staff was very nice. The only negetive was the resturant, it was Horrible. The staff has no clue what they were doing and one of the waitress yelled at us after we complained about a 45 minute wait for a table with the resturant being empty. I would return to the hotel anytime but I would leave the location for another place to eat. It's a great hotel but not a resort.

Wedding Banquet = Food Poisoning

by TripAdvisor Member cssbid

We had our wedding reception at Northwoods Resort and very much enjoyed the pleasant rooms and courteous staff.

However, after our dinner, 6 people (out of just over 100 that had the main dish) were stricken with food poisoning. The sickened guests were diagnosed with food poisoning by both a gastroenterologist who was in attendance and the attending doctor at the emergency room where one guest ended up. These guests had no other meals in common, so Northwoods was definitely responsible.

Northwoods' response to us was a thinly veiled, lawyer-vetted statement about how "there is no way to know that we are responsible." They offered nothing to us and nothing to our affected guests -- not even an offer to cover their medical bills.

Shame on you, Northwoods. Shame on you.

Location great, accomodations good, pancakes best!

by TripAdvisor Member MalcolmWest

Our family wanted to visit Big Bear to have some fun in the snow so we kept a close eye on weather.com and booked online at the Northwoods Resort website. We received the "web" special for about $114 in the King Residential, room number 215, facing the trees in the back. Upon checking in, I asked about changing my room to be closer to the lobby, etc. The front desk clerk offered to change my room, but we decided it was best to stay in 215 and she was right. It was a cozy room, fireplace, decorated with real wood, etc., big bathroom, good lighting. Yes, it can get hot, but turn off the thermastat and open the window if you have to. The king bed was excellent. We got a rollaway and managed to sleep 2 adults and our two daughters soundly. The bell staff helped find my wife's pedrometer and housekeeping was totally good at getting an extra pillow and rollaway (lucky, though, need to order before next time). Didn't eat at Stillwell's, the hotel restuarant, but it ooked fine and professional run. We strolled down through the Village and went locally for dinner at our favorite Italian place, Paoli's, and sat in the back near the fireplace. It started to rain after dinner and we told the girls there would be snow the next morning - there was, of course. In the morning, room service delivered some of the best pancakes (really fluffy) and French toast. We liked the single cup coffee maker in the room, too. The in-room movie selection was so good we let the girls order two movies, one at night and one in the morning. Checking out was a breeze and the hotel desk clerk made sure we covered each of our charges. You could also borrow an ice scraper for your car - there was that much snow. Northwoods has a great look to it and feel both from the outside and inside. On our way to Alpine Slide, we stopped by the nearby Starbucks. Since we travel in a 4WD no need for chains, but be sure to get into Big Bear in the early afternoon and leave, too, in the early afternoon. I know there are more "refined" accomodations, but for the money the Northwoods was very good and very well-situated in Big Bear.

A nice place

by TripAdvisor Member quicktrip27

We spent 2 nights at Northwoods and had an enjoyable time. The room was huge with nice touches like the coat rack on the wall to hang wet bathing suits. We didn't have much of a view but that didn't bother us. The pool and spa were enjoyable. It was nice being on the edge of town. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurants but found two great restaurants called Teddy Bears and Peppercorn.

Ripoff Resort!

by TripAdvisor Member 1_GlobalGypsy

A highly overrated resort with very poor customer service.

Firstly when we arrived fairly early in the morning, after driving all night partly due to incorrect directions from the concierge, we did not get any assistance with our luggage.
The beds were uncomfortable (like sleeping on planks), the in-room pay-per-view ($10 per movie) was daylight robbery!!!- Esp. since the cinema down the road was $5!
Then after we had already checked out my credit card was "authorised" again; therefore double charging me for room service we did NOT even have!!! This caused my card to be declined everywhere & i had to go trudging back to the front desk; where the manageress kept us waiting for a half hour after clearing up the confusion with my credit card company as she was too busy chit chatting with other employees behind the counter.

I wouldn't reccommend this resort, even to my worst enemy.

"Fools are easily parted with their money" - one has to be a fool to stay here!

Hot, dated room....

by TripAdvisor Member DFWMOM

We stayed here for a short, three day stay at Big Bear. We had stayed in BB before at another property that was full. So, we had seen the Northwoods before and it always looked very nice from the outside. Well, when we arrived, the room was well dated, old carpet, beds, bath, etc. But the worst thing was that the air conditioning never cooled the room down, ever! It was a heat wave of 85 that week(hot for Big Bear)and the room was stifling, even in the middle of the night. We did ask for a fan the next morning, which they provided. Even though it just pushed the hot air around, it made it breathable. The price was too high for a cheap motel atmosphere.

Paper thin walls but good customer service

by TripAdvisor Member dinibell

Hotel is located right in the village which if you are not skiing every minute is perfect! The people at the front desk couldn't be nicer and more helpful as well as all other staff we encountered. Rooms were clean and beds comfy. HUGE PROBLEM WE ENCOUNTERED WAS NOISE!! I don't know what they bothered to put up walls for. A guest across the hall was shaving and I could hear him from my room! Kids screaming down the halls at 7:00am, foot noise from people above and below and in the halls. If you want to get any rest don't stay here but if you are a partyer you'll be fine!

A Wonderful Stay in a Beautiful location!

by TripAdvisor Member semington

I stayed at Northwoods in February and loved it!! The rooms were in great condition. I very much enjoyed Stillwell's Restaurant. I really didn't need to eat anywhere else in Big Bear, as the restaurant was AWESOME!!! The hotel was very close to most of the major attractions in Big Bear, so I walked to most places for fun.

Good but not great

by TripAdvisor Member PaulieVegas

Stayed in Room 124 from 4/20/07-4/23/07. The hotel itself is pretty nice, with an on-property gift shop and restaurant (Stillwell's) that serves an excellent Sunday brunch. But when you get to your room things go downhill somewhat. The quality of the room is closer to Motel 6 than The Plaza. There was a funny mildew-like smell and the room was very dark. The only window is on the back door which leads to a covered alleyway, so there was virtually no outside light coming into the room. Soundproofing is virtually non-existent, every time a door closed in the hallway or people walked down the hall having a conversation we could hear it clearly. The furniture all has a rustic, woodsy feel and all the furniture is made of wood, but it is crudely built. I accidentally knocked a wooden lamp off the nighstand while reaching for my cell phone and it completely came to pieces. However, the price is pretty reasonable and the service at the front desk and restaurant was very good. All-in-all I would recommend, but not strongly recommend, this hotel.

Comments