40797 Lakeview Drive, Big Bear Lake, California, 92315, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

More about Big Bear Lake

Pitch a tent!Pitch a tent!

Big Bear, CaliforniaBig Bear, California

North Pole Fudge in Big BearNorth Pole Fudge in Big Bear

Travel Tips for Big Bear Lake

A few years ago my father...

by TrueBeliever

A few years ago my father bought me a plane ride above Big Bear as a birthday present. I was through a small tous service on a little runway east of the lake. We left in the morning when there were just a few puffy cummulus clouds in the sky and the sun was just peaking above the mountains. Before my father and I got in the small four person aircraft, we were instructed briefly on the safety procedures of flying--of course, I've forgotten all of them now...:) Okay, you fellas ready?' Said the pilot as we buckled ourselves in. 'Oh ya,' I said. 'Uh, I guess so,' said my father. The pilot, after communicating something to the 'flight tower,' started the engines. The propellor became a whir and soon we were shooting down the runway and were lifted off the ground, flying over the treetops. The first thing I saw were all the people, endless throngs of people using their weekend to enjoy the things they had worked hard all week to appreciate--I saw them get smaller and smaller until they looked like ants scurrying around on the ground below...
The lake glistened to the right of us as we flew over a small little league game, a resort hotel, and, of course--McDonald's. The the pilot swerved towards the lake. As we flew over the sun observatory and people on dozens of boats partying and fishing, the pilot said to me, 'You wanna take the wheel awhile?' I looked a little confused, 'Um, won't we die?' He laughed, 'Nah, all ya gotta do is make sure you keep the wings level with the horizon.' I said, 'It's that easy huh?' I took the wheel...
WHAM!! The whole plane shook. 'What was that?!?' My dad started sweating. The pilot looked back at him and said 'Just a little turbulence, nothin' to worry about.' WHAM! WHAM! Heavy wind suddenly pounded the plane. 'Geez!' The pilot reached for the wheel, which I handed him gladly. After another quarter of an hour of beautiful sights from a cloud's perspective, the pilot flew the plane back to the airport and the safety of the ground. Upon landing, my father threw himself on the ground and kissed sweet mother earth, glad to be alive--well, something like that. ;o)

Great Local Trip with Kids

by suebee36

"Great little area"

Cute little area for local trip (LA residents). The downtown area is cute with shops and little restaurants to walk around. There is a movie theatre, and of course, a few ski mountains if the conditions are good enough.

"Fun with the kids"

We have young kids and opted to hold off on the early ski introduction and spent some quality tiime sledding. Lots of fun. We were lucky enough to get some snow, however, there are some great sledding spots that make snow all winter long that would be great for kids of all ages.

"Beware of outdated cabin rentals"

We had a bad experience with respect to the quality of cabin we rented. And overall, there seems to be a lot of older cabins and housing in the area. Make sure to fully investigate your lodgings. Our cabin was defintely not satifactory for a family stay (i.e., with the kids we need have dishwasher and in house laundry for a weeklong stay).

Big Bear Lake

by janders

Here is the "downtown" of Big Bear Lake looking towards Bear Mountain.
This area is great for shopping, eating ,and of course drinking.
Have to stop in at Chads Place.

This is looking down towards the lake.
More shopping and stuff.

Me at Bear Mountain

My Wife.
You can see some of the jumps and rails in the background.

One of the lifts at Bear Mountain.
This is the best place to snowboard in SoCal.
Bear Mountain has it all.
Big Bear has a few ski areas up and down the mountain. Buts this is the best.

Here we are in Big Bear City.
Big Bear City is the small town with the small town feel.
This is where you want to go to get away from the the resort city of Big Bear Lake.
Quiet.
You can see another snow storm coming in, in the backgroung

Just some rocks along side of the mountain.

Comments