Big Sur Lodge

47225 Highway One, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Big Sur, California, 93920, United States

Satisfaction Average

• raulaf's Profile Photo

Big Sur Accomodations

We rented a one bedroom lodge with kitchen. It comfortably fit our small family and can easily house up to 6 guests. Don't expect much as the lodges here are pretty spartan, but there are rooms with fireplaces. Obviously, you will pay more for a fireplace, but up here it might be worth it because it does get quite cold in Big Sur. We stayed in June and the average tempetature was between 50-70 degrees.

Unique Quality: There is a heated pool and a huge flat grass area for kids to play. Your price includes free use of the park and five other state parks in the area including Point Lobos State Reserve Park, Julia Pfeiffer Big Sur Park.

Directions: Turn left from the lodge.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Welcome to my (misspent) youth!

There was a summer....... OK, so everyone has one of those stories! But imagine this; early 70's, the summer of love, and I had a job at the intriguing Big Sur Lodge. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I lived in the dorm adjacent to the cozy little cabins and duplex that guests of the lodge stay at. And while my job was in the restaurant as hostess, I used plenty of afternoons helping a friend who was on the cabin housekeeping staff. So believe me, I've seen these babies.

Unique Quality: The cabins are comfortable and rustic (and CLEAN!), nestled in the woods. Some come with fireplaces and some with kitchens.

But it's not all about roughing it. There's also a clubhouse and pool, saunas and showers. The lodge has a restaurant, coffee shop, gift shop and ice cream counter. The restaurant's outdoor dining has a lovely view of the Big Sur River.

• Pounder73's Profile Photo

For those who like it rough.

Or you can go the natural way… and camp. Campsites around Big Sur vary as greatly as the lodging. Some are designated first come first serve and others take online reservations months in advanced. Of course the earlier you know you will be there, the better it is to reserve a nicer spot. If you get a couple people, you will be flying way under $10, if not closer to $3 a night. (not including, water, firewood, camping equipment and desire to get dirty)

Remember that temps can vary greatly from one location to another. Last time there, we traveled 12 miles to the general store from our campsite and there was probably a good 25 deg increase. (feh) Pack accordingly.

Unique Quality: When you camp, you can be in search of the perfect smore. Joe is doing just that. By placing the chocolate on the Graham cracker, and melting before the cracker burnt it was a daunting task, but when that was coupled with the perfectly toasted marshmallow, there was no smore better.

Directions: South of Carmel & North of Hearst Castle

• Pounder73's Profile Photo

Wide Variety

The range of accommodations can go from a 1-month superspirnatural-acu-auroma therapy retreats center to a bed and shared bathrooms facilities. Regular simple rooms start at about $110.00. Some others that looked pretty awesome did not have the price listed.

Unique Quality: I saw the cheapest costing a $50 donation to some Christian place. You would be invited to their prayer, but not mandatory.

More about Big Sur Lodge

Stay in Big Sur State Park

by BlueCollar about Big Sur Lodge

We stayed here for the duration of our time in the Big Sur area. Beautiful scenery, quiet, nice hiking trails.

Families, yes! Couples, no!

I'll start by saying that I am bitter about the experience I had at Big Sur Lodge this weekend. My husband and I went to the Lodge hoping for a romantic getaway. Our room ($250+) was nice. The area is gorgeous -- it smells woodsy and lovely, lots of wildlife, thousands of twinkling stars -- all the elements for romance, right?

Wrong. It was a trip back in time to family camp hell. Our room was a stone's throw away from the family pool and play area. Trying to make the best of it, we sat on our private deck with a wonderful bottle of wine watching the sky populate itself with those thousands of twinkling stars I mentioned, and listened to hours of "HEY DADDY! Watch me do this handstand" echo up from the pool. At one point, the "neighborhood" gaggle of children organized a hide-and-seek game. Guess whose private deck they chose as home-base? The yelling and splashing ended about 10pm (very appreciated) at which point the "wonder of it all" provided a very healing balm to my very bad attitude.

So, if you were in the pool at the Big Sur Lodge this weekend with your budding aquatic gymnast and heard someone yell "hey kid, that handstand sucked!" - well that was probably coming from my room.

Couples (especially childless ones) beware!

Fun family trip!

Such a beautiful and relaxing place! Our family, including kids 9, 11 and 12, stayed at the Big Sur Lodge on our way up the coast. It was a treat as our cabin/room was very large, included two rooms (total of 4 beds) and a kitchen. The cabin was average in terms of decor but very clean. We enjoyed relaxing by the pool after a day of hiking. The surroundings are beautiful, lots of trees and great hikes to the waterfall!

The added treat was the restaurant. Walls of windows afford views of the surrounding trees. We were pleasantly suprised at the menu selections. We ate here for both breakfast and dinner and the food was great!

An enjoyable stay

We loved it here at the Big Sur Lodge, the cabin was spacious and clean, with a deck area out the front, where we sat, read and watched the birds playing. We were only there 1 night, so didn't take in any of the national park, but the lodge is right within the forest, so we got experience of it that way.
We had dinner and breakfast at the lodge and all I can say is yummy! Both meals were wonderful and left us feeling contented and full!!
Can definately recommend to those looking for a relaxing break, or like us, as a stop off between San Fran and LA.

Enjoyable retreat

by TripAdvisor Member jlmule

We just returned from a short but enjoyable stint at the Big Sur Lodge along the coast highway in California. The room was spacious and clean and the staff was easy to deal with. Our only glitch was that everytime we built a fire in the fireplace, the smoke detector went off. We told them at the desk and they were supposed to send someone to look at it but they never showed. The park itself is beautiful, planted right in the middle of a redwood grove. There were several nice hiking trails that started out right from the lodge area itself. The scenery along the coast was fantastic and there were also several other state parks in the area one could visit free with the Big Sur guest pass. I would recommend this lodge if you are looking for a little peace and quiet, away from TV and telephones. The restaurant however was pretty pricey as were all of the restaurants in the area.

Great place to stay in March

by TripAdvisor Member denverflora

My husband and I stayed here in March. We got a great off-season rate of $109/night and we were very pleased with our stay. We enjoyed the relatively private setting amongst the trees, set back from the highway. We were also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food at the lodge restaurant.

That said, the place was very quiet because of the time of year. We both agreed that we would not want to be there in the summer time with all the families and children that likely would populate the place (we don't have kids and prefer quieter, more peaceful, accomodations).

Maybe we just lucked out, but there were few families with kids that time of year--a few couples, a few older family groups, and everyone was quiet.

The room was clean enough, and quite large, but it didn't have enough furniture for its size. Kind of odd. The room was also a little worn around the edges, but I believe they are gradually updating all the rooms.

places to stay near pfeiffer big sur state park

by mwicks1

Any recommendations on where to stay in/near pfeiffer big sur state park. Have read reviews but mixed feedback

by Lhenne1

I read somewhere recently that as of October 2008, Pfeiffer State Park would be closed to camping and hiking due to potential mudslides and infrastructure problems resulting from the wildfires last summer. Make sure you double check with the parks service before you go.

Anyways...I've heard good things about the Big Sur Lodge, but can't speak from my own experience. The parks you're looking at are not far from Carmel-By-The-Sea, which has a variety of places for lodging (for all budgets).

by trvlrtom

If you are camping you can stay at Andrew Molero State Park, just north of Big Sur. It is a walk-in site, not for RVs.

by swimmergirl1

We stayed in two different places during our Big Sur road trip in August 2007. We stayed two nights in a cabin right near Pfeiffer Big Sur and it was a great location, right by the river. See www.ripplewoodresort.com We also stayed two nights in a yurt at Treebones and that was my favorite! It's about 20 minutes south of Pfeiffer Big Sur. Here's the website www.treebonesresort.com or check out my travel pages and tips.

Comments