71895 Highway #1, Big Sur, California, 93920, United States

• swimmergirl1's Profile Photo

Luxury camping in Big Sur!

Treebones Resort offers a unique lodging experience on California's breathtaking Big Sur coast and is our favorite place to stay in Big Sur. They overlook the Pacific Ocean with spectacular panoramic views in all directions. We stayed in a yurt, which is like the best combination of a cabin, a tent and a luxury resort! You get the benefits of a beautiful room and comfortable beds while feeling close to nature since the sides and top of the structure are made of tent material. We stayed at a few different places in Big Sur and this is by far the best!
    Our Yurt had two beds, a heater, a sink, and a ping pong table in it! The bathrooms are at the main lodge, where there is also a restaurant, pool and deck.

Unique Quality: Wonderful experience, beautiful views, great location, luxury camping, close to many hiking trails, yummy breakfast buffet in the morning where you can make your own waffles!

More about Treebones Resort

Brief escape from the grind

My husband and I just spent our 12th anniversary enjoying a night of luxury camping at Treebones Resort. We would have loved to stay in a yurt, but didn't get our act together in time. We were only able to "get away from it all" for one night and it was totally worth it! We actually drove down the coast from Monterey on a relatively clear day with whales leaping out of the water. The staff greeted us right away and helped us get settled into our campsite. We also had some booking date issues (mostly on our part) that they worked with us quickly and pleasantly to resolve. The staff was overall very friendly, personable and accomodating. The facilities were very clean and comfortable. The other folks staying at the resort were all friendly and approachable. We took the opportunity to get up at 1 AM and make a moonlit run to the Esalen hot tubs (1/2 hr north on Hwy 1). As we snuck back into our tents at 3 AM it was completely silent throughout the whole resort. We also really enjoyed the communal meal (note to self, bring own wine next time!) and the waffle breakfast. It was actually astonishing how everything meshed together exactly how we imagined and made for a perfect, relaxing getaway! We would DEFINITELY stay there again... hopefully next time in a yurt!

Friendly staff, beautiful location and comfortable stay

From the minute we arrived, we were greeted with warm smiles and a friendly welcome. The yurts were an amazing experience. Six of us were there for a ladies get-away weekend, and the family yurt #13 was perfect for us! Pete, Chris and Al were so friendly and nice, and the food was amazing. We loved having dinner right there, so we wouldn’t need to worry about driving on route 1 at night. We brought a few bottles of wine to the main lodge, had a great dinner, then sat by the cozy fire place.

I’ve already recommended this place to many, many people. And the ladies will be back next year for sure!

We loved it - but definitely not for everyone

by TripAdvisor Member Lucybird

My husband and I stayed here for one night during a coastal drive for our honeymoon. I had read the reviews here beforehand so I went in well prepared - which I think made a big difference in our enjoyment of Treebones.

We stayed in Yurt 16, per recommendations, and I would definitely suggest anyone book #16 or #15 if you want a bit of seclusion. The downside to the seclusion of #16 is a longer hike to the bathroom, but it wasn't too bad at all. #15 is still secluded but close to the bathroom. No one stayed in the nearby campsites so the only sounds we heard were the seals down on the ocean and the occasional passing car on the highway below. As others have said, the yurts aren't as high as you might think. You can see the highway just below, but the noise wasn't bad at all. Of course, we did stay on a Thursday...on a weekend it might be worse.

The staff was A+ all the way. Everyone we talked to was friendly and extra accomodating.

We did encounter a power outage as it turned dark. The yurts are on a generator (as has been mentioned through the reviews) and something overloaded it while we were there. It seemed all the guests there were able to deal with this just fine, though, and the staff worked hard to get it going again quickly. This didn't bother us at all, but if you aren't ready to roll with any little quirks - this might not be the place for you.

We would definitely go back to Treebones. I don't know if I would stay there for multiple nights in a row, but for a night or two it's a great break from hotels and motels. I'm a prime candidate for the yurt system as I love the outdoors but I also really like a comfortable warm and soft bed. (The bed was really comfortable, warm, and soft!).

Also of note, I had read ahead about the food options so we packed a picnic dinner and ate it on the cliff overlooking the ocean. If you are vegan/vegetarian, as we are, you aren't going to find much to eat at the camp. Just a bit of thinking ahead will make this a great stay.

Warm and welcoming

It's been more than a week since we returned from our weekend at Treebones and I can't stop raving about our experience - "yurt" has become a new verb in my vocabulary. The yurts are cozy and fun with big, warm quilts on comfy beds. The views over the ocean from our front porch adirondack chairs were, of course, spectacular. And the pool and the hot-tub were great too. But it was really the staff that made our trip so lovely. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like old friends. We were directed to the best beaches and most stunning hikes. And the food! The barbeque on Friday convinced us to cancel our reservations at the Ventana Inn and we didn't regret it for a moment.

The bathrooms at Treebones are communal but don't let that deter you; they were spotless and the showers were warm welcome after a day spent on the beach. But next time, I'll follow the website's directions and bring a robe and slippers for the walk. And the next time won't be too far off!

The Right Yurt

by TripAdvisor Member Sparky22

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at Treebones. We requested yurt 16 and waited two months until it was free. I am so glad we did. It is very private and has a terrific view. It is close to the highway but there is not a lot of traffic at night. The yurt was very large and clean. There was even a space heater, table and chairs and hardwood floors.
Although, there were no other yurts by us, there are campsites very close, but the campers were quiet couples. If you are noise sensitive (like we are) most of the other yurts are very close to each other and or generators, pool noises, etc. so it could be a problem. Number 15 is reomote but close to a bathroom which can get very smelly from the outside (the inside was fine). It would have been nice if the bathroom floor was cleaned while we were there, but they did keep the sink clean.
A few missed opportunities--some sort of outdoor firepit or fireplace would be great. More food options besides waffles with syrup and watery coffee in the morning, plus picnic supplies would be terrific. They are really missing out on a captive audience.
One warning--the resort is not in Big Sur, but 45 minutes past, almost to
Gorda. The map on the website is not clear about this.
The staff is very nice.
We will be back, but this is not for everyone. I cant help to compare it with Coastanoa (which I love). Better views and bigger cabins at Treebones, but more style, better food and campfires at Coastanoa.
I would say Treebones has lots of unrealized potential.

Heavenly

by TripAdvisor Member SR73

Relaxing & peaceful, treebones boasts that it is on the edge of the world and they are not lying! Our Yurt was comfortable and warm and the views were breathtaking. Incredibly friendly staff helps make Treebones feel extra special. The food served at night was excellent as well. The one problem is that eating anywhere else is a problem. Treebones remote location means the closest signs of life are about 5 miles away in a place called Gorda which was expensive in the extreme, and really not that great. Treebones at the height of summer could be noisy if there are families with children staying. But in mid-September it was an idyllic getaway for us.

Yurt-riffic

by TripAdvisor Member Onvalaplage

I came across Treebones while searching for a place to stay in Big Sur. When my husband and I saw the yurts we knew we had to stay there. We were so excited to tell people about our 'yurt'. We were doubly pleased when we finally got there and saw this amazing place.

Treebones is pretty remote- you are up on the side of a mountain with an incredible view of the ocean. The sounds of traffic are minimal- so much so we could hear the seals barking. And it's pretty far from Big Sur proper- I found the map to be misleading on this point. But it didn't matter because we had no desire to leave our yurt.

We were in #13 which was big and gorgeous. There are 2 queen beds, a futon, kitchen table and a small sink. It's very tastefully decorated - with a bit of rural, country touch. Think grandma style quilt and pine furniture.

Treebones serves an excellent bbq dinner in the main lodge. Be sure to bring your own wine since they don't serve alcohol and I have no idea where you would go for a bottle- the staff will happily open it for you. There's also a cozy fireplace in the main lodge which was good for the cool evening.

The only drawback for us was Yurt #13 is located just behind the main building which made it convenient to get to the bath house but you do get noise from the generators- especially when the wind kept knocking open the shed doors. But we were able to sleep through it. The pool & hot tub didn't look that inviting. The spa could have used a good cleaning.

All in all- Treebones was wonderful, the staff was great, the view was unbearably gorgeous. If you don't require 4 walls and your own bath and are looking for something a bit different- you will love Treebones.

A unique and exceptional experience

by TripAdvisor Member macbec

Just came back from Treebones and loved it. First off, be aware that despite the price (reasonable for the bay area but high for other parts of the country) this is not a luxury resort, it is a glorified camp ground. Yes it does have a small pool and hot tub, it does serve meals (breakfast and dinner) but if your looking for the Big Sur spa, fine dining experience, this is not it. This is about being at a great outside location with a tremendous seashore view and lots of forest hiking, beach combing type activities at the ready. Like regular camping (by the way Limekiln in Big Sur is a great campground for traditional camping) the weather will play a big part in your enjoyment of Treebones. Fall and Spring is probably best as it is not to cold and generally the coast is not socked in with fog like it can be all summer. I usual vacation by tent camping but I had a very pleasant, relaxing time here and would have no problem returning. Definitely bring enough of your own wine. beer, snack food, etc. because the offerings at the onsite store are really too limited to depend on and the location makes it tough to run out to a grocery store. As far as the free waffle breakfast, bring something to supplement such as fresh fruit or yogurt and it will be fine.

For people who want the outdoor camping feel but don't like the work of hauling the gear, setting up a camp sight, dirty pit toilets, no running water, etc. etc. then Treebones is for you. And even if you like regular camping Treebones is a pleasant change that involves a minimum of the usually work and planning that a camping trip takes

The best in Relaxation

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at Treebones Resort.
It is located on Highway 1 about 45 minutes south of Big Sur in the most beautiful part of coastal California. We stayed in a yurt, which was like pseudo camping. Each yurt has electricity, heat, a queen sized bed and a vanity with hot and cold water. There is not much to do there but simply relax. Their staff is fantastic. Their location overlooks the Pacific Ocean in all of its glory. If you need a getaway to just sleep and lose track of time, this is definitely the place to do it! We returned rejuvenated and have never done that before on any of our other vacations. We suggest you go there. You will not be disappointed.

Comments