103 Coast Highway 1, Bodega Bay, CA 94923

Orbitz.com Booking.com amextravel.com

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Very Elegant Stay in the Trumpeter Suite

We had a very nice stay in one of the suites near the back of the property. Our room had a beautiful view of the bay and surrounding area. The room was very spacious with a king size bed, CD player, down comforters, turndown service in the evening and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. A very elegant room.

There is also a great restaurant on-site, the Duck Club where we enjoyed dinner and breakfast during our stay. There is a nice pool area and jacuzzi. This is truly a wonderful place to stay in the area.

Unique Quality: Truffles at turndown, robes, jacuzzi tub, heated pool, great views from our room, fireplace, friendly staff.

Directions: Located in a very scenic area of Bodega Bay

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Luxury on the Coast

I've stayed at the Bodega Bay Lodge a couple of times; once for a Corporate offsite meeting and once for a romantic getaway (the latter was definitely more fun!). This is a really lovely place to spend some quiet time.

The lovely rooms are very luxurious with comfy furnishings, plush bedding, a wonderful bathroom, a fireplace and a peaceful peaceful view of Bodega Bay. The property is also home to a beautiful pool, a great hot tub and an onsight spa.

The Duck Club is the Hotel's restaurant. While I'm not typically a fan of eating at hotel's restaurants, the Duck Club is an exception to that rule. The meals I had here were delicious and the chef used some of the wonderful local products available in Sonoma county; lamb, goat cheese, salmon, and very fresh produce are just the beginning. Obviously, the place has a pretty impressive wine list. For the offsite we brought our own wine and paid a $12 corkage fee, still saving a fortune by not paying the restaurant mark up.

Unique Quality: My very favorite thing was breakfast at the Duck Club. The morning views of Bodega Bay were beautiful. The service was good and the tableware and linens assure you are someplace special.

There is a conference room just adjacent to the restaurant for groups and meetings. It makes it feel a little less daunting to spend all day working in that room!

Directions: Along the Coast, near the Bodega Bay Golf Links

More about Bodega Bay Lodge

Nice hidden treasure for locals

I stayed with my husband at the Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa last week. We really felt like we had found "our getaway"! It is so quiet, so beautiful (the view of the ocean and the beach were a amazing) and such as nice escape.
I read, drank wine, ate the steak in the Duck Club and enjoyed the Spa's facial. The folks there are sweet, attentive and fun. We will be returning - I just wanted to share this with the locals since we had such a nice time, and its perfect for city dwellers as an easy two night vacation.

Mediocrity at its best

by TripAdvisor Member chgomember

Perhaps it's because I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay prior to my stay at the Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa, but I don't see what the allure of this place is. The Best Western I stayed at in Napa following my visit to this lodge outshined this $260 a night property. The staff was accomdating in letting me check in early but no one offered to assist me with my heavy luggage to my room. The room was rustic and quaint (what I expected) but the oceanview balcony lacked any type of view--I saw a swamp and the ocean was about a mile away from me--don't book an oceanview room! The Duck Club, cited in my guidebook as "one of the Sonoma coast's best," lacked attentive service for the $70+ bill I racked up. The spinach salad with the toasted goat cheese was by far the highlight of my dining experience (it really was delicious). The complimentary wine hour every evening lacked charm and hospitality (cheap crackers accompanied the wine) and staff was not willing to go above and beyond to make the experience memorable (the Ritz and Best Western Elm House Inn in Napa went above and beyond). Save your $260 per night and stay at the Ritz and skip the Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa!

Cannot possibly be a 4 diamond hotel. A big joke!!!

I have arranged a surprise for my whole family to get away for couple days after Thanksgiving and at the same time to celebrate our anniversary. Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa was my first choice because it was rated 4 diamond hotel. In my opinion, it must be a really fancy and nice hotel. Regardless of some bad reviews on the hotel, I didn't let these critics affected my choice. But when we got to the hotel, all the critics were so true that I thought that I could of listen to them. Yes, we had a room with the ocean view but other than that the room itself was just a plain Best Western room or even less. We expected a four diamond, over lavished hotel, but received an old,rusty dump. I don't even think that they even changed one of my bed sheet ( we had a room with 2 queens). It looked like they just fixed up a little for the next guest. The bathroom looked like the New York Dump. Never see any hotel with this old tub and faucet. You have to really lift really hard the lever to change to shower. The water is not consistent. You got the cold water in the middle of your shower. The sink had stains and cracked. The hotel had complimentary wines from 5-6PM but didn't even bring out any crackers. We made the reservation to have dinner at The Duck Club restaurant at 6:00PM. I went to my car to get my jacket. The parking didn't have enough light. I got tripped over the log in the parking lot and hurt myself really bad. Instead of putting the cement bar on the ground to stop the cars from running over, they put dark wood logs that I couldn't even see the log. They could have painted those logs in white for people to see. But then we still proceeded to the restaurant. The food was good. Service was excellent. But for some reasons, when we got to the room, my husband and I got a really bad stomach ache. I called the hotel to ask if they sold any kind of medicine like Pepto Bismol to ease our pains. They said they didn't have any. A 4 diamond and isolated hotel like this and didn't even have a little shelf of medication for urgent needs. That was unacceptable. We said to ourself this was it. We didn't want to stay any longer. We checked out the next morning and told ourself that was a bad experience, we would never come back.

Quiet & Calm

by TripAdvisor Member sommerlovin

I've been meaning to write this for a few months now...

After spending a few nights in Wine Country (LOVED IT), we headed to Bodega Bay for a little R&R. To be honest, it was a little bit more R&R than we wanted. It was a gorgeous hotel--I booked off their website and actually paid $125/night for a gorgeous king room with a fireplace overlooking the ocean. It was a very nice room. We had partial ocean-view (the other building was in front of us), but it was fun to see everyone running to the spa in their hooded robes through wind storms that I'd never experienced in Cincinnati, Ohio!

The spa treatments were excellent (we each had a few), and service slow in the Duck Club.

It was a gorgeous place to get away from it all, but for two twentysomethings, we could've used some more action! Loved the wine hour, though.

You'll enjoy your stay!

Less than Satisfied

We booked at the Lodge to celebrate our parents' 50th anniversary. We booked three rooms for three days, two of the "Deluxe" rooms, and one Ocean view suite. The rooms rates were $255 a night for deluxe and $465 for the suite. While the grounds are well maintained, and the pool and spa area are very clean, there isn't enough maintaining the rooms - they look like they are due for a remodel. Our room had stains on the carpets and holes in the shower wall where a bar had been replaced. The iron in the room didn't work. We called the front desk, which said they'd send a replacement right up. 20 minutes later, and too late to be of any use, a maintenance person arrived to tell us that there were no more irons and he would have to borrow one from another room. The Lodge advertises bathrobes among its amenities - one of ours was taken for laundering, and wasn't returned. We asked for another, were told there was a "crush" on the robes, and one would be delivered later. Later never came. As well, the "view" from our room included more parking lot and lodge buildings than it did the small edge of the bay we were able to see. In the suite, the coffee maker tripped wall plugs, the couch looked like it had been obtained from Goodwill, and the veneer on the archway between the "bedroom" and the "living area" of the suite had separated. Despite having told the Lodge the reason for our stay, nothing special was done to acknowledge my parents' anniversary. At check out, the front desk admitted they needed to work on maintenance, but gave little in the way of apology, offering instead to allow us to fill out a customer survey form. We expected more from a facility holding itself out as a four star establishment, a better maintained facility, and better response to and more concern for the simple problems we raised. We would not recommend this facility to anyone wishing to use it as part of any special occasion, or who expects to receive value for the dollars they spend. On a brighter note, we had an excellent dinner at the Duck Club restaurant. Good variety, good wine list, great food and presentation, and exceptional service. We'd recommend the Duck Club to anyone seeking a first rate meal in Bodega Bay.

Best in town

We stumbled across this hotel while we were staying down the street. We were a little disapointed with were we were so we peeked into the lobby to see what the place looked like. What we found was a beautiful rustic lobby with a huge fireplace, and a couple of girls at the front desk who seemed excited to have a visitor. We asked them a few questions about the rooms and one of them immediately offered to show us around to a couple of the rooms available for the night and the rest of the property. While giving us the tour, the girl answered all of our questions about the area, including where to find some of the places they filmed "The Birds". After seeing how nice the rooms were, both had fireplaces and great views (this is clearly the closest hotel to the ocean, it's only a short walk down to the beach) we went back to the desk to see what kind of deal we could get and were suprised when we found out it would be only a little bit more than what we were paying for our other room. It only took a few seconds of discussing for us to decide if we wanted to change hotels for the last three nights of our trip. I guess I'm too used to the high pressure world of sales because I found it odd that both girls suggested that before we signed on the dotted line with them that we should check with our other hotel and make sure they'd allow us to leave early without being charged, it seemed that they really cared what would happen to us at the other hotel. Later that evening we went to the happy hour they have in their lobby and had a great time talking to other guests, including a bunch of people who were on a bike tour all over wine country. The happy hour was great, but the one suggestion I'd make is to have cheese, or something beyond crackers to eat to give it a little more class, but I won't complain, I mean come on, it's free...The bed in our room was comfortable and breakfast the next morning, while not free, was good. When we visited the desk the next morning, the manager was at the desk and he quickly gave us suggestions for how we could spend our day visiting wine country. He seemed quite knowledgeable about the wineries because he grilled us about what kind of wines we like and then gave us suggestions about where to go, and every single one of his suggestions was spot on. Overall, we had a great time. The only problem we had while we were there was when our key wouldn't work in the door. We went back to the desk to report the problem and we were quickly given a new key and were met at our door by a delightful maintenance man from New York who made sure it worked right so we wouldn't have any more troubles.

Bodega Bay Daycare and Spa

by TripAdvisor Member sjalberts

My husband and I decided to take a last minute getaway weekend and chose the Bodega Lodge and Spa. While we had a good time with eachother we were a bit surprised that this is billed as a 4 star property. The view is nice but this place has seen better days. Also, the clientele was a curious mix of people, many of them toting about complaining and crying children in common areas. (Often when we opened our balcony door.) So let's give this a try:

The Pro's
!. Nice location. Although not oceanfront, it does command beautiful views. My husband and I commented to eachother that it reminded us of the Orkneys in Scotland.
2. Well stocked mini bar/fridge if you're interested. Wine glasses and corkscrews in the room, along with a microwave (which we'll get to in a minute) and a nice size mini fridge. Our room had a fireplace and wood burning logs which was pleasant.
3. We hear the spa is nice, although they only had in room availability since we booked last minute. Since the only room available was not a suite and just "one large room" we decided against having an in room treatment.

The Con's
1. The room we had was smallish and felt cramped. Apparently the suites are larger.
2. The bed was a queen and was uncomfortable. I ended up on the couch as my husband tossed and turned. Couch rating - not so comfy for sleeping but I am sure that isnt what the management intended it for. Also, the bed was made with a bottom sheet, a top sheet - then a blanket and another top sheet. Purpose? We're at a loss.
3. The bathrooms are very "standard" and the towels were rough and could have used a dose of fabric softener. Nothing to see here, let's move along.
4. Back to the microwave, you might need it if you order room service as we did. While our dinner came quickly the delivery person pulled the covers off of our salad and our entrees and left with them. By the time we were done with our salads our dinners were luke warm. The dinner plates are also too big for the microwave so you have to place them in sideways and hope things dont run off.

Additional note:

Lets talk about The Duck Club restaurant - "DUCK CLUB" right? Duck is on the menu and thats what my husband ordered. I ordered the blue cheese topped filet. My steak was delicious as were the sides. The duck however was overcooked and a bit tough. We were surprised but my husband in all honesty did consume most of it. It's it wash really - not a pro or a con. Just an FYI - 2 salads and 2 entrees (no beverages)= $101.00 including the room service fee.
We've paid more elsewhere for worse - so all in all we would say have a meal there. Oh, but not lunch. They are open til 11:30am for breakfast and begin dinner at 6pm. So you'll need to head into Bodega for lunch if you're wanting it.

In our opinion (having stayed at top properties) this is an alright place but do not expect the hype you have read in these other reviews. Knowing that, you'll be fine.

Help with Lodging in Bodega Bay

by JCBAGS

Can anyone recommend either the Inn at the Tides or Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa. I have reservations at both and need to decide where to stay. We are a family of four with two kids ages 4 and 7. Any preferences out there? THANKS!

RE: Help with Lodging in Bodega Bay

by Jamesr3939

I have never stayed at either one, but have stopped for lunch at the wharf several times on a motorcycle ride going one way or the other. I don't think you can go wrong at either one. Just from the outside I think the Inn at the Tides would be my choice. Rent the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds" before you go, the big bird attack was filmed right there at the Tides.

Comments