Bodega Bay, California, 94923, United States

The Rock ClimberThe Rock Climber

Our Grandson and the BayOur Grandson and the Bay

The Potter SchoolThe Potter School

Travel Tips for Bodega Bay

Do Not Swim Here--Beware!

by VeronicaG

Schoolhouse Beach was a scenic spot to spread out a blanket for an afternoon picnic or rock climb, but it was not a good place for a swim.

This warning sign was prominently displayed in the parking area at the top of the beach:
Strong Backwash, Sleeper Waves, Rip Currents.

That would definitely deter me from wanting to wade out into the water! Please be cautious!

Bodega Bay

by Ewingjr98

After spending the night in Santa Rosa, we decided to skip breakfast and head to the coast for an early lunch. We arrived in Bodega Bay around 0930 and took a quick drive along the bay before arriving in town around 1030... luckily some of the harbor front restaurants were open for lunch that early so we stopped into the Spud Point Crab Company for some great crab sandwiches. We then walked along the marina a bit then drove to Bodega Head, the southern tip of Sonoma Coast State Beach. By about 1200 were left Bodega Bay, heading for Point Arena, the Humboldt Redwoods, and Eureka where we spent the night.

Remember Alfred Hitchcock?

by Callavetta

"Remember Tippi Hedren?"

Remember "The Birds"? That movie put fear in me for years! When I walked to school I had to pass a tree with a Mama bird who thought I wanted to hurt her babies. That bird would dive at my head, trying to fend me off. And having seen "The Birds" I was sure I'd be pecked to death.

Bodega Bay still has reminders of the movie. A peaceful little fishing village, with lots of distractions and things to do, you have to look hard to find some of them. While we may remember the children running down the hill from the school house, to the harbor, the actual school house is about 5 miles from the harbor (which incidently very recognizable anymore either). There is Bodega Bay and the small, inland town of Bodega. Both are worth a look.

"The Old Church from The Birds"

Just a few steps away from the school yard is the little white church that was also featured in the movie.

"The Coastline"

Today the area around Bodega Bay is most famous for it's rugged and beautiful coastline. This photo was taken from just a few miles north of Bodega Bay proper. Take some time to drive the coastline, stopping at some of the state beaches as you go. These aren't the kind of beaches where you'll want to swim or lay in the sun for long. I can't think of a time I've been here when it hasn't been very cold and windy.

will-care's new Bodega Bay Page

by will-care

BODEGA BAY
Bodega Bay is wonderful seaside retreat situated about an hour and a half north of San Francisco.
Bodega Bay provided the setting for the Alfred Hitchcock classic, "The Birds".
Day trips to Sonoma,Mendocino, Sea Ranch, Fort Ross, and Santa Rosa are very easy.
Highly recommended but watch out for the gulls and crows.

Comments