Marriott Santa Ynez Valley

glabah's Profile Photo

Hotel California Next to Movie Theatre

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 30, 2008

I was part of a work group that wound up staying here. While I can't tell you that this the most expensive or least expensive place to stay or how much it costs to stay here (as I never get to see a bill for this type of thing), I can tell you that staying here was a pleasant experience.

First and foremost, however: you will want to make absolutely certain that you do not wind up on the highway side of the hotel. Get a room on the side that faces the small, two lane road that has the driveway and entrance to the hotel. Highway 101 is a very noisy freeway type road through here, and you will not want to be on that side unless you have no other choice. The small road side of the hotel is a remarkable contrast, and very little of the highway noise from 101 is audible on the ground floor of the other side of the hotel.

I have never seen so many pillows on a hotel room bed. It looks like something out of...well, it looks like something out of the song Hotel California - or possibly out of some spoiled brat's bedroom from a Hollywood show of some sort (90210?).

The bed also has a small box containing two chocolates, which are apparently complimentary. As best as I can tell, the two bottles of water and the tea and coffee by the coffee maker are complimentary as well.

One odd thing about this hotel: the ground floor has shared balconies with other rooms. Possibly this is for the benefit of large groups staying here? I've never seen anything like it in any other hotel I have ever stayed in.

The refrigerator and television is contained in a chest of droors looking device that prevents the room from feeling quite like a standard hotel room.

There are two sinks: one outside the bathroom, and one inside the bathroom. The one outside the bathroom has an opening that looks right into the bedroom, where I would think that a mirror should be.

Right next door, there is a very small movie theatre called the Park Plaza Theatre, which isn't much special, but if you don't have anything else to do after stopping here for the night might be worth investigating. It makes the hotel a little more than just an overnight lodge.

Just as I was getting back from going to dinner at a Mexican place a very short walk away (Rudy's Mexican Restaurant) the hotel staff came by to deliver more water bottles and another box of chocolates.

Like most of the buildings in this part of California, the style of the structure is very much a reminder of the song "Hotel California", though this city isn't exactly dark with a busy highway through the middle of it.

There is a complimentary computer room, with only two computers, and each room has a lamp that is equipped with a telephone jack and two power outlets (telephone jack in a lamp?) for in-room computer access. There is a charge for printing and copy service.

About the only irritation is the music they have playing in the computer room as I am writing this.

Unique Quality: See everything written above.

Directions: From 101, go east on Highway 246 to first traffic light past the highway, and turn left (north). Hotel is just past McDonalds and movie theatre driveway

Santa Ynez Wine Country at its best!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 18, 2008

We had a nice quick weekend in Santa Ynez Valley - and ended up booking the Santa Ynez Marriott in Buellton. I found it online, at a great price, considering the other hotels in the area looked pretty shabby. This hotel was easy to find- it is right off hwy 101- which could be a disadvantage as it is close to 101. However, I did ask for a room on the other side, and didn't hear any noise at night. The hotel is very nice, comfortabe lobby with a Starbucks in it. We had dinner at the restaurant, and it had nice selection of local wine- we chose the Firestone Merlot- it was fantastic. Dinner was actually very delicious- I went with the Shrimp Scampi- and it was really amazing. My husband opted for the Filet- and the sauce on it- very tasty. Prices were the normal hotel menu pricing. Our room was nice- the best thing was the bed - Super comfortable bed and soft down comforter. I am a picky bed person- and this one was as comfortable as my ultra comfortable Sterns & Foster one at home. Nothing out of the ordinary in the room - it was your standard hotel room - with a really great bed! Had a desk, and a sofa as well. Bathroom looked like it was time to be updated.
Service was fantastic - we were there for 2 days, and were always greeted by the desk staff when we came in - housekeeping also nice- and the room was always VERY CLEAN.. ( I am again very picky on clean rooms.). They also had a heated pool & jacuzzi - which we used both days. I checked out the fitness room - had lots of machines- and a sauna- that I didn't get a chance to use. Also has tennis courts there- and there was a bar next to the restaurant.
All in all- really enjoyed the hotel - was clean, nice, and felt like we got your $$'s worth. We were just 7 minutes from Solvang - so we really felt like we got a great deal in the area.

Unique Quality: Comfortable Beds!
Heated Pool & Jacuzzi

Directions: Easily seen off of Hwy 101- large Spanish Archtecture hotel - directly off of hwy 246 as well.

Nearby Marriott Santa Ynez Valley

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Continental Breakfast

Buellton Travel Forum

Need advice about Buellton, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Buellton and ask our Answer Gurus.

Buellton Travel Guide