Embassy Suites Hotel' San Francisco-Airport/Burlingame

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Embassy Suites Hotel' San Francisco-Airport/Burlingame

newly-renovated???

by TripAdvisor Member with5

Stayed at the Embassy for two nights with my family. We booked the hotel using our Hilton Honors points. Because we booked the day of arrival from another hotel, we were unable to print out our rewards certificate. When we went to check in, the front desk clerk told us she would not check us in because we didn't have the certificate. We had the confirmation number of our booking along with the certificate number given to us by Hilton Honors. My husband pulled up our reservation on their internet and we were still told we couldn't check in without the certificate. After about 1/2 hour and security talking to the desk clerk we were allowed to check in. All of this was happening at 12:30 am after a really long drive from LA and 3 sleepy children. When we finally made it to our room (yes it was a weekend and the hotel was definitely crowded with people partying) it was not what we have come to expect from Embassy Suites. The door looked like it had been kicked in at some point. It was very banged up and there was no molding around it at all. You could see through to the hallway with the gaps and you could hear every noise made out in the hallway. That wouldn't have really been such a big deal if we weren't across from the ice machine. You could hear every noise made out in the hallway. In the bathroom there was some type of molding that was separated from the wall and some type of open pipe sticking through the ceiling. There was also places in the room the paint was missing from the walls.

The room was spacious and the hotel was a good value for our family of 5. We do enjoy staying at Embassy Suites, but we most likely will not be staying at this one again.

awesome views - beautiful tropical atrium - huge suite

My mother recently came to visit me, but becuase I live in a cramped apartment in the , I rented a two room suite during her visit out by the airport and got a great rate. The hotel has awesome views of the airport, the bay, the surounding park, and lagoon. We ate breakfast each morning in thier atrium which is filled with waterfalls, koi ponds, and tropical plants. All in all a great stay.

A Little Bit 'O 1980

by TripAdvisor Member snapdragen

We stayed the weekend for a wedding. The rooms are dated, the french white furniture looks worn out. The televisions are a mess - blurry pictures, odd colors. I didn't notice any noise problems, but I was on the 7th floor, well away from the restaurant and bar. The bar is a bit of a joke - $5 cover charge - the place was as close to empty as it could get. The bartender served our martini's in wine glasses.

Staff could use a bit of education about the property and what is going on. We asked where the ballroom was for the wedding - no one knew where the Embassy Ballroom was!

Plus side - the beds were very comfy, room service was quick, housekeeping had our rooms cleaned before we returned from breakfast. The breakfast is great - made to order eggs and omelets, pancakes, all the fixings. The Bay Trail is right outside, great walking or bike riding.

Avoid wireless service and it's great

by TripAdvisor Member hc489

The negatives:
1. Wireless connectivity in the ballroom was deplorably unreliable. I was unable to secure a reliable connection for email or even web browsing. My colleagues reported the same. Paying for connectivity that isn't reliable is not acceptable.

2. I did not have maid service. I did NOT leave any "privacy" type signs up nor was I in the room any part of the day.

3. Would have appreciated bell service upon arrival. i saw the luggage carts but no one to be found at 9:30 pm... Not right that close to the airport!

The positives:
1. Complimentary cooked to order breakfast!
2. Complimentary wine & beer at the manager's reception nightly from 5-7! (DO leave a tip for the bartender though; it may not be expected but is only polite!)
3. Clean carpet & rooms.
4. SUITES.
5. Comfortable bed. I slept very well.
6. Spacious!
7. Moderately priced for what it provides.
8. Wood furniture is dated in style but very functional.
9. Beddings are modernized; clearly this is part of the Hilton/Doubletree chain - just a more economical branch.
10. Plenty of towels and pillows.
11. Frig, microwave, coffee maker.
12. Cookies & water in room after first night: Someone left a bottle of water and cookies which, after calling the front desk to make sure that was left for me intentionally, was a nice touch. (Admittedly, I was confused and alarmed at first because clearly there had been someone in my room but NOT housekeeping!)
13. There's a great jogging / strolling path along the bay right outside the hotel and a gorgeous view.

Overall, the facilities are clean and adequate. Somewhere between a REALLY nice motel and a budget hotel.

happy with stay

by TripAdvisor Member leoburk

I thought the rooms in this hotel showed some age, but overall we were happy. The bathrooms are not as large as some of the other E. Suites we have stayed in, and with access only from the master bedroom not the best design. I thought the pool area was above average with a very tropical and bright feel to it. The pool/hot tubs showed age as well with missing tiles, chipped bricks, etc. This was likely a premium hotel that management may have let maintenance slip somewhat.
We did have comfortable beds, but as usual at the E suites the pullouts are not suitable for sleeping on.
All in all the staff was friendly with the exception of the cooks at the a.m buffet who seemed to despise the guests.
I would stay again. Lots of parking, nice setting, great atrium. The diner 1 minute away beside the Red Top in was good too.

No Water at the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rokzan

After traveling all day, we checked in at 10pm this evening. We ordered a pizza & a bottle of wine from room service, as the desk clerk advised us the restaurant closes at 10pm. We were getting ready for bed at midnight, but when I went to wash my face there was no water coming out of the faucet! I had just flushed the toilet so my husband checked the tank & there was no water there either. I called the front desk & was told there should have been a note in our room advising us the water would be shut off at 11pm. But the desk clerk said that the toilet should still work. Excuse me?! Why was I not informed of this 2 hours ago when I checked in? And how the heck would the toilet work if the water was shut off!? I went down to the front desk & the young lady told me the City of SanFrancisco had advised the hotel this morning that the water would be shut off from 11pm until around 5am. Why did no one email me this morning so I could have changed my hotel? Of course there is no manager on duty until 6am tomorrow. We have traveled 5 hours from Hawaii & booked this hotel purely as a convenience to sleep & SHOWER on the way home!! Tomorrow we fly home to Florida & will probably have to get on that plane without even showering! It is so unacceptable that the desk clerk did not advise us of this at check in. I am a Travel Agent, booked in at the rack rate and I am very upset with this situation. Imagine if I had booked a client into this hotel with this situation. I could easliy lose bookings over this kind of crappy treatment.Needless to say, I will not be paying for this hotel room. It is so sad that after my fabulous trip to Hawaii, this is my last memory. I will never advise anyone to stay here and it will be a long time until I get the bad taste of Embassy Suites out of my mouth!

OK...nothing more

by TripAdvisor Member JacksonPA

South of SFO 2 miles. Easy to get too, clean, excellent service and dinner. Rooms are on the verge of being run down. An refurbishment is needed to get this facility back to to four star rating.

We like it even though it needs refurbishing

For the past few years, my wife and I would stay here in December so that relatives from the Peninsula could visit us easily. We also stay there before and/or after flying out to Maui. After having read the criticism regarding service and condition of room, I would have to agree that work needs to be done but there is nonetheless much to admire.

We checked in Friday, Dec. 16 at 3:00 and were given a bayview room (we had previously negotiated a VIA rate for AAA members), possibly because we arrived early or because we are Hilton Honors members. It never hurts to ask if such a room is available. Although we would normally be given an Honors floor (#7-9), our room, #428 was on the 4th floor. Perhaps the rooms on the upper floors were full. When we reached our room, everything seemed fine at first. The room had all the amenities we expected plus the great view of the bay. But when we tried to open the sliding glass door, the handle was loose--very loose--and doing so was a chore. We also noticed that the guard rail to the sliding shower door was broken as was a hot-water faucet. Although I sent the desk a note requesting maintenance to take care of these issues, nothing happened during our stay.

But there was so much we enjoyed. The bed was supremely comfortable (all the name hotels are trying to outdo the other in bed comfort!) with a new bedspread and FIVE pillows (three more in chest of drawers). Fabulous spray for shower (wonderful hot water!) and quiet sleep. Yes, it helps if there are only two of you and that you close the door to the living area. The happy hour was fine as usual although snacks other than pretzels and potato chips might have helped. Very friendly bartenders who DO expect to be tipped but are extremely gracious and will prepare anything within reason. The much maligned breakfast matron is very competent and serious. She has no time to smile at someone who needs to have a smile returned. She will prepare exactly what you ask for. A simple "Thank you" is quite welcome and sufficient. Dinner at Rings was actually quite good, with plenty of choice. Be sure to ask the Front Desk for a 20% off voucher/coupon (it's red).

Yes, the furniture is tacky at times, the TV out of date, the equipment well used. And I expect that gradually these will be replaced or fixed. But the location is sensational and the price, if negotiated properly is very reasonable. My only regret is that there is no long-term parking here. You park "at your own risk." For those who need this perk, the Best Western El Rancho (Millbrae) is best.

They Aim To Please

by TripAdvisor Member player1059

Contrary to some previous reviews, the rooms and public areas had new carpets and we found the beds and furniture well maintained and comfortable. The town of Burlingame is a fun place to visit with nice shops and restaurants. The staff at the hotel will drive you to town in a van and pick you up at no charge and very punctually. We spent four nights there at a seminar and ate almost every meal in the hotel. The breakfast was buffet and cooked to order. Tables were quickly cleared and the wait staff was pleasant. The hotel is located on the bay with a lovely walk right outside the hotel. Our rooms were cleaned early in the day and we found all the staff to be very responsive in answering questions. It is good to request a bay view room and the hotel is a member of Hilton Honors. The only negative was that the heating is centrally controlled by the hotel so if one wants a warmer room, you have to ask the front desk. I think this hotel was very good value when you consider that you get a bedroom and a living room with 2 televisions, a microwave, and refrigerator as well as the breakfast. There is also a shuttle from the airport which goes every 15 minutes..

Watch out for the party scene

by TripAdvisor Member CGibson

This is a decent place to stay. Check-in was efficient and friendly despite the huge line. It was crowded with throngs all wanting to celebrate the arrival of 2006. The room was large, clean and bright. The bathroom was good sized and very clean with excellent lighting. The only problem was the soaking wet carpet under the window by the side of the bed. A torrential downpour the night before had leaked in and the carpet was squishy wet. It didn't seem worth it to make it an issue for just one night.

Breakfast the next day was tasty and bounteous (plenty of everything, including pastries and bananas as long as you don't wait until 30 minutes before it closes like a previous reviewed did), and the staff was friendly and eager to please. One staffer insisted on cooking an omelet for my girlfriend, which was delicious.

Alas, this ES seems to attract a partial clientele of what could be called rabble, who tend to want to party hard and/or let their kids run wild. It was pretty noisy, with shrieking and running around until the wee hours made worse by the fact that the doors faced into the atrium. To be fair, this was probably partly due to New Year's Eve and I would avoid it during prom season as well. The HHonors floor will cut down on this somewhat, but be forewarned.

What a spread!What a spread!

Comments