Bear Flag Inn

EntranceEntrance

Petrified Forest, Calistoga, USPetrified Forest, Calistoga, US

Old Faithful, Calistoga, California, USOld Faithful, Calistoga, California, US

Travel Tips for Calistoga

Fine Cabs (wines not taxis)

by karenincalifornia

For you cabernet sauvignon aficionados (including my husband!), the Diamond Mountain wineries just west of Calistoga are for you. The volcanic soil, higher elevation off the valley floor, and influence of the ocean breezes result in wider temperature swings, which the cab grapes love.

The grapes in this picture are perhaps 1-2 weeks shy of harvest. The time of harvest is part science and part art. The sugar content of the grapes on the vine has to be just perfect. Then harvest occurs within a day or two. It's impossible to predict the exact date of harvest from year to year (it changes every year), and the vineyards can't even predict the harvest date accurately 2 weeks in advance.

But from all accounts during our visit over the Memorial Day weekend in 2005, it appeared the harvest and crush would start mid-September. It's an exciting time in the wine country. If you are in the wine country during the crush, do try to visit the wineries to witness the energy!

Sightseeing in Napavalley off the wineyards

by gubbi1

In the beautiful Napavalley around Calistoga you can do more than visiting the wineyards which give the area a mediteranean flair. There are sights which can bring you far far back into history... the pertified forest.... and which remind you that we live on a hot ball... the Old Faithful Geysir of California. If this is not enough, have a look on how flour is made in one of the mills, which have been common to towns years ago. And all just a few minutes apart.

Follow me to my travelogue about the Old Faithful Geysir of California, one of three faithful Geysirs of the world.

See my travelogue about the Petrified Forest.

Have a look at my travelogue about the Bale Mill Historic Park.

Calistoga took the geyser from Geyersville

by feline01

OK-I admit it. I made a mistake. I thought when we visited a geyser, it was in Geyserville. Wrong! So now,

Welcome to my Calistoga page where you will see the amazing Old Faithful Geyser of California and my husband. It's one of the few regularly erupting geysers (interestingly enough, my husband erupts occasionally). It erupts approximately every 30 minutes but when we visited, it was blowing every 20 or so. Spews 60 feet into the air. Awesome.

That's all we saw in Calistoga so that's my page.

Comments