Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort Calistoga

1507 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, California, 94515, United States

• NOT RECOMMENDED

The "Corner Queen" room had very unexpected features that were not described at the time the room was booked. The motel neglected to indicate that a corner room at Dr. Wilkinson's is situated at the corner of two buildings resulting in a room that is walled on 4 sides, except for the opening for the door. There was minimal natural light and little to no natural ventilation based on the "corner" location. The bed was reported to be a queen-sized bed, but slept more like a double. For the displeasure of two sleepless nights, we paid an outrageous price of $185 per night. Other local hotels have an outdoor mineral pool that was THOROUGHLY more enjoyable than the indoor pool at Dr. Wilkinson's. Any other selection would be better than the motel.

Unique Quality: Minimal sound proofing allows you to experience the same events as the people in the next room. Indoor mineral pool was warm (best I can say) and outdoor pools would be difficult to distinguish from a normal swimming pool. No amenities to mention.

More about Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort Calistoga

Above and Beyond

A friend and I spent 2 days at the Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort in Calistoga and felt that, in every way, the staff went out of their way to make our stay a nurturing and pampering experience. I was especially impressed with the generosity, warmth, cordiality and kindness of everyone I dealt with, as well as the flexiblity of the policies of the resort. I felt that my every need and desire was anticipated and looked after. First of all, check out time was noon, instead of the ususal 11am, allowing for a more leisurely morning. Being a "night person" this afforded me a stress- free night of sleep. I was especially thrilled with their policy of allowing us to use the facilites all day the following day of our night there. We were allowed to leave our car in the parking lot, use the hot pools and spa, including showers, towels, lotions, hair dryers, etc. even after we had checked out. My friend had forgotten her bathing suit and they even had a supply of bathing suits that she could borrow.

The room itself was large, extremely clean, aesthetically pleasing, and tasteful. The colors were soothing but stylish. The beds had comforters, rather than just thin blankets, and there was a supply of blankets in the room in case we needed more. As I tend to get very cold at night, this was again, a very reassuring touch. The bed had many comfortable, fluffy pillows, making it a comfortable place to sit up and read. Everyone we dealt with was kind, patient and friendly, explaining the procedure for the spa, and answering our questions in a friendly and unhurried way. The spa attendants were gentle and soothing, creating a very restful and nurturing atmosphere in the spa. I had an excellent massage and if I can judge by my experience, they hire highly trained and competent spa professionals. On the whole, we felt welcome, our concerns were taken seriously and were treated as honored guests. It was truly and relaxing, nurturing and pampering experience and I intend to return as often as I can.

Just what the Dr. ordered

We went to Calistoga for a conference and spent 2 nights at Wilkerson's. Our room was large, clean and quiet. The staff was competent and friendly. We enjoyed lounging in the pools and had social time in the courtyrard between the rooms. The owner even left each of us a package of biscotti for an after dinner treat complete with a hand written note!. As you can tell, we were very pleased and well taken care of...not to mention, I had the best massage I've ever had.

Where stress ends and heaven begins...

My wife's a computer programmer and I manage a small business, between commuting, the kids and trying to have a life, stress seems insurmountable at times .... Dr. Wilkinson's is the kind of personable, friendly place which welcomes you, even when it's your first time, as if you are already family. The treatments were very good, the massages are excellent... I had Marcos and he was fantastic, my wife's masseur was Mark and she was very pleased (not an easy task, I'll tell you)... the views from the outdoor pool are so relaxing... the only downside... we had to leave! Keep up the good work!

Refreshed, Relaxed, Revitalized

I was a speaker at a conference recently and was invited to join the group with accomodations at Dr. Wilkinson's. The room was spacious and warm with all the necessary ammenities. We were delighted with a surprise treat waiting for us in our room at night. My husband & I both enjoyed our spa treatment. It was quiet & professionally handled and I would highly recommend the experience. What a great destressing weekend! Just the place to get away & relax!

A true respite

For a mid-week break away from the city, Dr. Wilkinson's can't be beat, especially in winter/early spring. Its simplicity is a large part of its appeal -
not chic, not glamorous - just sparkling clean, quiet, friendly, peaceful and very, very comforting. I find I sleep a lot when I go there: just lie down to read for a bit and two hours later I wake up. When was the last time you could really do that?

There are 3 pools to choose from, a terrific mid-week spa package deal which includes a whirlpool bath, the mud (optional), sauna, blanket wrap, and a half or full hour massage plus one night's lodging - be sure to check
the rates for that as I think it depends on the time of year. But whatever it
is, it's an excellent bargain.

The staff from housekeeping up to the masseurs are unfailingly cheerful, cooperative, and welcoming. When you see them on the street they greet you with a smile making you feel at home in Calistoga.

There are wonderful restaurants, cafes, delis and grocery stores just steps
away where you can hang out or put together a picnic. Copperfield's Bookstore, live music down the street at the Hydro Cafe, fabulous dinners
at Brannan's make a stay the shortest stay in Calistoga a vacation. Park the car in the lot and don't take it out again until you leave.

I guarantee you'll feel like a new person.

My favorite quick vacation

by TripAdvisor Member torjohnson

My wife, son and I lead fairly extensive lives in the world of education...we are treated to heaven every time we go to Calistoga, a hour and a half drive in the gorgeous wine country(my son is seven and loves counting the wineries). We are people in love with the past while living fully in the present. We listen to Retro music while driving our hybrid. We would not think of staying anywhere but Dr Wilkinsons. Dr Wilkinson's does not need a face lift...it is a blast from the past. It has three pools (cold warm and the worlds largest hot tub...)which we call Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear.
I write a little history so you know what we like. We swim in pools and eat, and walk around the lovely town of Calistoga. Dr wilkinson's is a haven for relaxation....yes there is mud, there are messages, and they are great...but We absolutely love Dr Wilkinsons for it basic properties of relaxation.

We are not extraordinarily picky...but if given a choice of staying a relaxing wekkend anywhere on Earth, we might pick Dr Wilkinsons in Calistoga

Relax & Prepare to be Pampered

Dr. Wilkinsons Hot Springs Resort is a delightful place to stay as it is sparklingly clean, has all of the amenities right on the well kept grounds, plus it has a staff that really prides itself in friendly, efficient service. It is a very short walk to great restaurants and points of interest, This historic spa resort has been refurbished and rooms are spacious and comfortable. The massage, mud baths, and facials are a real treat leaving one to wonder about how soon the next trip to Dr. Wilkinson's can be scheduled.

Don't stay at Doc's

The facility itself is o.k and the location is central, but their stupid rules make you feel like you are a kid being admonished by an adult. We were kicked out of the pool area for having a can of sparkling water (no idea why cans aren't allowed). The next time we were by the pool we were told that no alcoholic beverages of any kind were allowed even though we were now careful to put them in plastic cups. For a town reliant largely on Vineyards and adults, their rules seemed out of place. I've heard of other places to stay in town where people were able to enjoy a cup of wine by the pool and be social, but you definitely can't here. Ultimately it became the joke of the trip how strict they were here, but I wouuld NEVER stay here again.

Definitley a motel, not a resot

I have no idea why people would describe Dr. Wilkinson as a 5 star resort, when in fact it's a motel. The Victorian rooms are nicer than other rooms in the main motel complex but are still very bare. This property is overpriced for the value it offers.

What a Blast!

This place is incredible. A fair price, fun resort, wonderful pools and great staff! I have stayed at the resort twice and it only gets better. I cannot emphasize enough how great the spa staff were during my trip. I was treated to a mud bath, mineral soak,steam room, blanket wrap and awesome massage. Even before check in and after check out of the resort I was welcomed to use their wonderful facilities which include three great mineral pools. I call that a deal. The town of Calistoga is really sweet, the folks were really nice and there were great shops and food. I love Dr. Wilkinsons and the whole experience! Looking forward to my next trip.

Comments