Solage

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Solage

Fabulous pool, great specials

by TripAdvisor Member Zoe xyz

We recently had a simply fabulous stay at Solage. Although it is true that the landscaping , only in since March, needs to develop for maximal beauty and privacy, there is nothing underdeveloped about the rooms. They are quite splendid and very comfy. The food was surprisingly excellent, both breakfast and dinner and biking into town on the bikes that come with each room made one feel like a carefree 10 year old again. But the star was truly the pool. It is giant and best of all there is minimum chlorine as it is cleansed by ozone. It smells and feels wonderful. This fall they had an irresistible special with breakfasts and one dinner included in a two night stay for under $300/night. Although sister resorts Auberge du Solei and Calistoga Ranch are prettier they are also stuffier and much more expensive and in my experience the food is just as good at Solage where it is served by waitresses with an abundance of youthful charm and not an ounce of pomposity.

A few kinks but overall a great experience

by TripAdvisor Member Amy25

After reading the recent reviews, we were very anxious about staying at Solage. But I am so glad we went through with it. The landscaping was fine-- yes, the plants are new, but there are lots of them and they are already filling in quite nicely. In a year, it will be lush and lovely. It was very quiet at the hotel (I think the occupancy rate was pretty low mid week) but the weather was great and we had the family pool all to ourselves. It was such a relaxing time that we've decided to go back next year. Don't be dismayed by the negative reviews; it was a great place for a holiday!

plesantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member mia1888

My husband and I stayed at Solage for 2 night and were pleasantly surprised with our stay. We went expecting the worst after some of the reviews and found ourselves really liking the property. After 3 days at Meadowood this was quite different and a complete contrast but that was the fun of it. Yes the place needs the landscaping to grow in but there is alot planted and it will look great in a year. The room was super comfortable and I loved the shower. Water pressure was fine and the bathroom was first rate. Bikes were fun for riding into Calistoga and pool area is as nice as any South Beach hotel. Breakfast was good and the Martinis by the outdoor fire at night were great.. The place has a great look to it and will be fantastic as soon as the ground cover grows in.

Average- below average

by TripAdvisor Member genomesolutions

My wife and I stayed at the Solage this past weekend and sorry to report that it was an average (or below average) stay. For these prices, the experience should be flawless, but it was not.

First, the much vaunted shower with pebbles, was not installed in our room. And to make matters worse, they said, its OK, you are not missing much! Well, then why advertise it as a added feature? Next, the phone in our room did not work, and when we complained, they said, they will have maintenance look in to it next week.
The water pressure in the shower was dismal. This was unacceptable for a spa location. They said there have been complaints but it is a perception and that they are within the normal limits! All of these were totally unacceptable responses. No apologies from the manager and it was just treated as a matter fact situation.

We had reservations are The Carneros Inn and cancelled those to stay here. Next time it is back to the Carneros inn..where the rooms are much bigger (with a amazing backyard and a outdoor shower...with good water pressure!!!). For $1000 for 2 days this is not the service and quality I expect.

Oh and by the way, the Bathhouse is closed...again, no mention on the website (where they state the spa and bathhouse are indeed open). Do you think they charge less for downgraded shower, closed bathhouse, poor water pressure? Nope!!

Will not stay here again!

A wonderful and memorable experience

by TripAdvisor Member beetle338

We just returned from a really terrific 2-night stay at the spa resort, Solage. I was initially hesitant due to some previously posted reviews, but am so glad I chose this property to surprise my husband and celebrate his 41st birthday.

The notation in the fact book states that the architecture of the rooms are: "Napa Valley Barn meets San Francisco Loft" - Yes, I agree and it was so tastefully achieved. We arrived and plugged in our iPod, uncorked the champagne and were surprised to find a little cake with a card for my husband sitting on the ottoman at the end of the bed. The room was beautiful and being October, it was the most beautiful weekend in the Napa Valley.

We had massage treatments the following day and relaxed in the saunas and mineral pools. The walk around the grounds to reach the spa and Solbar (the restaurant/lounge) was beautiful. I surprised my husband by inviting 5 of his family members to join us for a Saturday night reservation in the restaurant. The hostess was extrememely accommodating while we pondered our reserved table outside vs. another possibility inside. It was a bit chilly in the evening, but the waitstaff and hostess brought all available heaters to our table. We snagged the blanket from our room and were quite comfy sitting outside. It was a beautiful setting with a truly great menu of food and wine.

We strolled the property one last time prior to checking out today and wished we had one more night. We didn't take advantage of the bikes and wine tasting on Saturday as originally planned (napping and lounging around in our comfortable room felt too relaxed!). Our little outside seating area was a perfect place to relax in the sunshine. The room had everything one would need - hair dryer, iron, shampoo, conditioner and lotions (big bottles) and a small pantry area with a refrigerator, coffee pot and table settings for two.

It is my guess that the property opened prior to the finished landscaping plan. I also heard that they opened prior to the spa being completed and therefore uninformed guests did not receive the experience they expected from marketing and press info. I'm sorry for those folks and hope they will give it a second shot. We sure will. The design and ambiance are definitely marketed towards a specific segment of folks - and we were definitely those folks. If you're looking for a spa resort with a hip attitude and fabulous restaurant in the Napa Valley (bike to wine tasting), go for 2 nights (I don't think 1 would provide enough to experience the relaxing atmosphere) and select Solage!

give it time...

by TripAdvisor Member joe94553

2 caveats before your read this review:
1-we went for one night on a company outing; i didn't pay for our stay
2-my wife and i have never been to a spa before

my wife and i spent one night at the solage spa in calistoga and i wanted to share my views. i think some of the reviews i have read on trip advisor were alittle harsh in my humble opinion.
check in was a breeze.
our room was very nice, well appointed, quiet. we appreciated the ipod hookup. nice shower. several nice touches, including some nice magazines spread around, snacks, etc.
yes, there is a trailer park behind the property. so what. don't look at it (some other reviewers have commented on this)
yes, the landscaping isn't mature (give them a break, they only opened a few months ago...give the landscaping a chance to mature)-some other reviewers commented on this as well.
my wife and i did several spa treatments...we enjoyed each of them.
we didn't eat dinner there, but did have a nice breakfast on the patio; excellent omelet.
extensive wine list if a bit pricey (running theme...)
2 bikes are outside every room for use of the guests-we took a ride to downtown calistoga (maybe 5 minutes); a nice touch.
prices: again i have no expereince with spas, and i didn't pay for this trip...but it wasn't cheap-our room was close to $500 which to me is a little pricy; but again was comfortable, clean, and quiet.
overall i would recommend this place...especially after they get the kinks out.

Absolute RIP OFF

by TripAdvisor Member richie123

Absolute garbage...paid $975/night plus tax for a trailer..overlooking another trailer park with a broken fence...got a wake-up call every morning around 8am (last day at 7am) from the bulldozer working on the dirt road...concierge was stupid,pool was freezing, no pool attendent(set your own chair up & look at the water, rememeber it's cold)..right off the highway, no privacy...basically the property is ugly, both the grounds & the "Studios"....thats why the pictures are close up and very well deceptive.

Terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member davidforr

Eventually this might be a good place but until the landscaping and the staff grow up it is simply overpriced and annoying....you really do look out over a trailer park in the back "rooms"...it looks like an old army barracks from the past...inside rooms are nice...undertsated but with all the conveniences but....a fancy stereo system and only 4 radio stations that come in (no satellite) ...great if you brought your Ipod , useless if you did not....asked for 2 extra wine glasses so we could have our friends over for wine...they arrived 55 minutes later....staff does not appear knowledgeable or oriented to "solve any problem"....and at these rates they should be

this place is a joke

by TripAdvisor Member roger49Cotati

The term "customer service" seems to be their trademark, though could not be further from the truth. The service was garbage, the price was ridiculous, the food was average. There are several place that one can stay in this area, and this should certainly not be one of them. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of this place.

Napa Valley Winery Tour : October 2010

by Gear$Head

"Solage"

Solage is the perfect retreat for a relaxed spa experience. The simple yet elegant surroundings, the many facilities, the pair of bicycles assigned to each room, all allow the guest to set a preferred activity level. The nearby town of Calistoga is charming, and the many restaurants around the area, including the excellent solbar on-site, contribute to a sense of being well-taken of.

"Chateau Montelena"

The first winery we visited was Chateau Montelena. The is a Chinese Garden on the grounds, complete with ponds, pagodas, and the obligatory white swan. The chateau itself has an imposing facade, and the Tasting Room is nestled to one side with an entrance gateway covered with verdant vines.

"Beaulieu"

Napa Valley is about Cabernet Sauvignon, which grows extremely well in Rutherford, and the longest winery there is Beaulieu. As a matter of fact, Beaulieu probably put California wines on the map. A visit to their Reserve Room is both revealing and reassuring.

"Quixote"

In the Stag's Leap region rises Quixote, a winery as only Friedenreich Hundertwasser could design. It is full of wavy lines and obtuse angles, capped with a golden dome and curvy parapet. There are many imposing yet beautiful mosaics on the walls, simulating streams flowing down from heaven. The architecture is a feast for the eyes, and the Petite Syrah is not bad either. Please visit my SmugMug pages for more photographs from this trip.

Comments