1019 Foothill Blvd., Calistoga, California, 94515, United States
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Wine Way Inn

Comfortable B&B with great breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member GJBTraveler

This was our first trip to Wine Country, so we knew little about the area. We stayed at the Wine Way Inn for three nights. The inn keepers, Gillian and Nick, are wonderful people. They provided us with a lot of information and guidance on the area, and how to focus our visit to maximize our experience. The breakfast was wonderful. Everything was freshly prepared, and plentiful.
We stayed in the Callistoga Room, which is a small cottage in the back of the inn. This cottage is separate from the rest of the hotel. It has a private bath (shower stall), and has its own outdoor sitting area. For a B & B, it offered a lot of privacy. The bed was comfortable, but overall the room a bit crowded for two of us. Everything was clean, but the furnishings and decore were a bit tired and worn out. This room could use a face lift (Compared to the rest of the house which appeared to be very nicely furnished).
The hotel is located on a very busy intersection. If the windows were closed, then it was not too noisy. But if you opened the windows for fresh air, you could definately hear the traffic.
The inn is within a short walking distance to downtown Callistoga, which was great for shopping and restaurants.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. We were a bit dissapointed with the layout of the room and decore. The excellent hospitality of the inn keepers made our stay well worth it.

Good potential...but disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member Avendora

My visit to Calistoga was the first time I had been to the California Wine Country. Wanting to take in the local flavor, I booked this Bed and Breakfast for one night. Despite the reviews that often talk of friendly and out-going owners, I believe I must have stumbled upon them during a rough time. At one point the kitchen door was slammed on the few guests eating breakfast, and I was barely able to have a few words with either of the owners until a few minutes before I left. Overall, I was quite disaopinted by the atmosphere, and did not feel the usual homey comforting atmosphere that I have previously experienced at other Bed and Breakfasts around the world (being an outgoing person who loves to hear stories from the interesting folk that tend to run such B&Bs!)

Again, I hope this was just an off day, as it would seem many other people have been quite happy, however for me, it put quite the damper on my short visit to the area!

Otherwise, the breakfast was as described in all other reviews - delicious and very comprehensive (if not a little awkward with no presence whatsoever from the owners). Road noise was not an issue, despite our room being close to the front. The in-room air temperature control was not great, as our fan was broken and made a horrible clicking sound, which we discovered too late in the night to wake essentially strangers! Despite the stifling heat that built up, the room was overall comfortable, although fairly small.

I can't say enough about the cooking at this B&B...perhaps they should open a restaurant! I would definitely return if this were the case!

Very Nice Hosts, Great Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member pondman

We stayed two nights in the Oakville room which was tastefully decorated and cozy. It also had a private entrance to a sitting area outside on the deck which was nice for enjoying the morning coffee or relaxing with a glass of wine in the evening. The Wine Way was a great place to stay if you are looking for a place within walking distance of town to restaurants and shops. The road noise was a minor annoyance but I guess expected given the location convenient to town. I can't say enough about the hospitality of the innkeepers. Nick was very helpful with restaurant recommendations and as mentioned many times in previous reviews, the breakfasts were fantastic! I couldn't help but get that 2nd serving of the honey-chardonnay stewed apricots! Also had a good time relaxing with a glass of wine on the deck chatting with some of the guests. Overall we were happy with our stay and would definitely recommend.

Disappointing stay at Wine Way Inn in Calistoga

by TripAdvisor Member GreenwoodLinda

Because of several positive reviews on the Wine Way Inn in Calistoga, we decided to spend Fri and Sat nights, June 2 and 3. Our first impression was that the Inn was so close to busy Hwy 29 with only a car length between the porch steps and the street pavement. The surrounding neighborhood was unattractive although it was only a few blocks to downtown Calistoga.
Nick helped by carrying one of our suitcases up the stairs to the St. Helena room, the largest, containing one chair and one luggage rack. The first suitcase went on the luggage rack, and then we had to sit the second one across the arms of the chair, leaving no place but the bed for sitting. The carpet was worn, the bathroom had no place to sit toiletries, etc. The pillows had no softness left in them and were lumpy wads. The mattress was uncomfortable. The window air conditioner covered up the street noise which otherwise would have made sleeping difficult. There were several nice sitting areas outside in back of the Inn, but the seats and cushions were dirty and the surroundings unkempt. The first morning, we sat down with other guests waiting for breakfast to be announced. Finally we noticed that food had already been set out, so we all sat down and began eating. There was no appearance by Gillian to welcome us, to announce that breakfast was ready, or to ask if we needed anything. Butter would have been nice with the muffins, but there was no way to request any. The second morning, we knew to sit down and begin eating without waiting for an invitation! The food was good. We saw Gillian come out to put something on the buffet only once, and then she disappeared back into the kitchen without speaking to her guests. We never saw Nick after he helped us with luggage at check-in. After all the comments on Trip Advisor about the great hospitality of the innkeepers, I must say that we were surprised and disappointed that there was essentially no communication between the guests and the innkeepers. We would not stay at the Wine Way Inn again.

Wonderful people, amazing food!!!

by TripAdvisor Member arbaman40

We stayed at the Wine Way Inn for the weekend and had a truly enjoyable time! The innkeepers welcomed us in and Nick helped carry our suitcases up the stairs to our room. We stayed in the Oakville room which had a full bath and a gorgeous private patio. The back deck was the perfect place to share a bottle of wine and some cheese! Gill was a great travel advisor and provided us with free tasting cards for many of the wineries. Calistoga is a quaint little town with lots of character and the people are one of a kind! The breakfast at the Wine Way Inn will be hard to forget, it was by far the most impressive breakfast I have had at a B & B and the ambiance in the dining room was warm and inviting! We will definately be returning as soon as we can!

Better than the Marriott * * * * * truly amazing . . .

by TripAdvisor Member trish1960

The Wine Way Inn in my opinion was probably the best B & B I have stayed in during my vacation to the USA . . .

When we arrived Nick and Gillian the hosts made us most welcome - nothing was too much trouble. We choose the Inn because of the promise of excellent food and good value - we were not disappointed . . .

On arrival Nick showed us to our room, the St Helena - this was of contemporary design and very homely and spotlessly clean. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, a very important feature these days - especially after staying in large chain hotels. Nick and Gill had an immense knowledge of the local area, which came in very handy.

The Inn is just a 5 minute flat walk to the town of Calistoga, which houses various eating houses, an English Pub and a fabulous wine bar.

. . . and then there was breakfast - being British I love my breakfast, best meal of the day - and I have to say it was amazing. All freshly cook or baked - a real treat....

Now back in England I really miss the warmth of Napa Valley (and especially Nick and Gillian who made our visit very memorable).

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Wine Way Inn to any of my friends or relatives - an amazing experience.

A 5 star experience * * * * *

Great B&B

by TripAdvisor Member holidaysandiego

Wine Way Inn was the perfect spot. Close to town and shops. Comfortable, quaint and cozy. The hosts were so accomadating. Very knowledgable of the area as well as wines and food. Gillian and Nick were most hospitable, made us feel like it was our home. Rooms were clean and beds very comfortable. Although location is close to main road, we were not around during the day and had no noise problems at night. The breakfasts were exceptional. We will DEFINITELY stay at the Wine Way Inn again. Enjoyed it so much, I am purchasing gift certificates for friends.

Fantastic Breakfast and lovely toiletries, but noisy room

by TripAdvisor Member NoodleSingapore

I have booked the Napa room for 1 nite while visting the Napa Valley. It is the smallest room in the Inn and it is facing the road, making it very challenging to sleep at nite.

Although the room is small, it is adequate for 2 of us. Locitane toilteries were given in the bathroom (only standing shower) which is a pleasant surprise.

The InnKeeper Nick is very friendly and allowed us to park the car even after check-out while we walk around in town. Gillian is a great cook and the hot gourment breakfast is not to be missed!

There is a fridge in the walkway stocked with mineral water and ice tea free for house guest which is a very generous gesture.

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Larry&Laura

Booked 3 rooms (Caslistoga cottage, Oakville and Yountville) for My wife and I and 4 other friends. Stayed Sat 11/10 & Sun 11/12 with a Monday morning checkout. The Inn is well maintained and clean. The room are a little on the small side however you really don't spend much time there anyway. The beds are queen size, but very comfortable. They have a nice great room at the entrance where you can sit and talk, great porch and yard with ample sitting areas. Breakfast were just great, all homemade down to the yogart and preserves. The coffee is execellent blows starbucks away and it's made just for them. The Inn keepers are very nice and always asked if we needed anything. They even gave us a nice cheese tray to snack on. They have wine and sherry in the dining room on a help yourself basis, we did have a sample or two, but were pretty wined out. They provide bottle water in the fridge which was nice. The location is excellent and you can walk a couple of blocks into town or right next door to the Spa (we did a mud bath, just ok for me). There is also a Mexican story (bodega) a few door down where you can buy beer or snacks, actually they have food there and we heard it is excellent. All in all was a very nice time. FYI No TV's in the rooms (except for the cottage) so plan on just chatting or playing games. I would recommend this lnn to freinds and family so that says it all, in my opinion.

aging barrelsaging barrels

Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park, Calistoga, USBale Grist Mill State Historic Park, Calistoga, US

Old Faithful, Calistoga, USOld Faithful, Calistoga, US