Bluebird Motel

1880 Main St., Cambria, California, 93428, United States

More about Bluebird Motel

Just Right...

Had a great stay at the Bluebird Motel. I paid around $80 per night and got one of their basic motel rooms. No frills, just a motel room. What the room lacked in decor, it made up for in cleanliness. The place was absolutely spotless. The innkeepers were also very friendly and provided coffee and cake for breakfast in the morning. There is a nice fireplace in the lobby and the place is very warm and inviting. The innkeepers also spoke German, which I thought was great, especially for this part of the country. I would highly recommend this place for someone who is looking for a clean, affordable, and friendly place to stay in Cambria. A very good value.

Loved the Bluebird Inn

by TripAdvisor Member rlee131

We found the Bluebird Inn to be an excellent place to stay. Only a few blocks to the old part of town where the Brambles restaurant is located. We have not been to this restaurant in over 25 years and found it to be as excellent as it was then. Great foods,service,and atmosphere.

I read a few bad reviews on Trip Advisor about the Bluebird Inn, however we did not experience anything negative. Maybe they statyed in the rooms that had a "bargain rate?" Those rooms cost about $68. The rooms overlooking the Creek cost about $110 and are GREAT. This was the mid-week rate. I am sure weekend rates are higher.

Wonderful view with a nice deck where you can sit outside and enjoy the peaceful scenery. The room was large, had a fire place, refrigerator, and was newly painted and decorated. Coffee and a muffins are available in the moring.

Would Recommend

by TripAdvisor Member CaliforniaCritic

We did not plan to stay at the Bluebird Inn because we read many good reviews of another hotel in town. Due to a reservation foul up, we were redirected to the Bluebird. We were given a suite with a king size bed, small table with chairs, nice size gas fireplace, TV with VCR/DVD, small refrigerator, and a private balcony overlooking the garden, creek, and pine trees. Since we do not know what the deluxe suite in the other hotel would have been like, we are unable to determine if we had overpaid for this room since it was given to us for the same price as the one in the other "nicer" hotel. We were told the rooms were comparable , but we would never know for sure. However, our stay at the Bluebird worked out fine. The suite was located in the back away from the street entrance so there was no problem with traffic or noise, only the quiet chirping of crickets in the evening and of birds in the early morning. The room was spacious and clean, the decor was above average, but not fancy. The roomy bathroom had a tub/shower combination. The towels were a bit too thin and stiff to our liking. The front desk was friendly and helpful with directions to the beach (short drive away) and recommendations for dinner (Robins) and breakfast (Creekside Gardens Cafe). Binders with menus of most of the restaurants in the area was conveniently provided in the office lobby, where they also serve coffee and cake in the morning. While the room may not exactly be an "plush honeymoon suite" (it is all relative to one's idea and expectations), but it was fine for our one night stay. We would recommend it to others, but if you are looking for a 4 poster canopy bed with old antique furnishings, floral wallpaper, or a place looking out to the beach and ocean, this is not it. But if you just want something much nicer than a standard motel room, and is close to the shops and restaurants, you would be pleased.

The perfect one-nighter....

...when the fog rolls in. Arrived in Cambria with nothing booked and found this to be the perfect place to over-night. We had originally planned to stay in SLO or Morro Bay but, having stopped at both places for a quick look around, we carried on driving up the coast and were glad we did! We had a look at a couple of hotels on the beach but, with the fog, they did not justify paying double or treble the price of the Blue Bird (if you could be certain of a sunny evening then the view of sunset from the hotel might justify spending more for one of the hotels but, personally, I would stay at the Blue Bird and drive the mile to the coast).

The room was clean and well equipped and the staff were very friendly. There are a number of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance so we were able to ditch the car for the evening. The coffee and pastries hit the spot and there is a very good sandwich shop just down the road where you can stock up for the drive up the Big Sur (where there are few places to eat and they are all massively over-priced).

Great place to Nest

by TripAdvisor Member NJOYNC2CA

My wife, another couple, and I spent the night at the Bluebird after driving down from Big Sur and before visiting Hearst Castle.
We stayed in two rooms with queen size beds. The rooms had a connecting door between them.
The best part about the Bluebird is they do not make you stay two nights minimum on the weekend. This is a rarity in Cambria, but so needed for travelers that choose to go other places than San Simeon or Cambria for the weekend.
Second best, is the price! $88 plus tax in Cambria. WOW! The Bluebird is centrally located in Cambria, near everything. You can walk to the Redwood Cafe for a good breakfast. The Bramble's is just around the corner. Steve at the front desk called to make our reservations right as we checked in.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. Reminiscent of a family owned 50's motel. There was even a "Sanitized For Your Protection" band on the toilet. There is a TV, but no phone. The room has a sitting area and a fairly large closet. The only issue is thin walls, but we were next to our friends, so it was all good.
The motel puts on coffee and pound cake in the morning, in their main office. In addition, they have newspapers, magazines, and a large book of restaurant menus for you to plan you day's activities around.
The staff at the Bluebird is wonderful, always looking to make you stay more comfortable.

Enjoy.

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member Gaychoo

This is a clean, nicely run motel close to great restaurants and lovely antique shops. The staff were friendly and helpful and even made reservations for us for dinner that night. There's an attempt at a free continental breakfast in the morning with coffee and pound cake but the coffee was horrible. The room is your basic motel design with no phones. My cell didn't work but they had wireless internet (yippee!) so I could email home! And best of all - we booked the night before and got a room for Friday night. They didn't have a 2 night minimum and they only charged us $90. There are more romantic, charming places to stay but this is truly a great value for the area and it you're just traveling through - what more could you want?

repeat guest

by TripAdvisor Member worldwidemonkey

I frequently escape to Cambria and love The Bluebird. For the price, it can't be beat. Rooms are large, immaculately clean, and quiet, escpecially the creekside rooms. The office/lodge offers coffee and poundcake, also cocoa and tea. There are small paths that lead to little sitting areas along the creek. Best of all, you can walk right into town, hopefully stopping at Lily's on the way for coffee. Don't be afraid of the economical price - The Bluebird is worth paying more, but isn't nice that we don't have to?

Many gotchas

by TripAdvisor Member tyger7

I stayed there a night this past week and was mightily disappointed:
* I chose them specifically because they offered wireless Internet in the room. This worked when I first got there, but not at all after dinner and not at all the entire next morning. I couldn't complain at night because the office is not open 24 hours )so god forbid you have an emergency). Next morning they suggested I use the data port in their lobby, but that didn't work either. I told them about all this, but they wouldn't even consider refunding any money to me. To me, I contracted a service and they didn't provide it, so by not reimbursing me they essentially are stealing. Was there anything wrong with the money I gave them?
* There are no phones in the rooms.
* There is no pot to boil water/make coffee/tea in the room.
* The rooms have showers, but no baths. They don't bother to tell you this.
* The morning "breakfast" is pathetic, just a few slices of coffee cake and hot water in tiny styrofoam cups.
* The bed is positioned so close to the wall that you better be thin to reach the bathroom.
* Parking is extremely limited. Several people were parking not in spaces, but wherever they could.
* They are way overpriced compared to others in the area. Compare, say, with the Courtesy Inn in San Simeon (just 4 miles away), where I got a room for $49. Bluebird wanted $90.
* Their location is not that big a deal in this area. There is LOTS of parking in Cambria, so there's no need to be located next to the shops. You can easily drive and park. Anyway, most of the shops are in West Cambria and this is East Cambria and most are not going to want to walk between them -- just a bit too far.
I won't be staying at this place anymore.

Close to Hearst Castle

by TripAdvisor Member chappzack

We recently stayed overnight at the Bluebird and found it more than ample to meet our needs. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. There are no frills, this is just a nice clean place to stop, especially when going to Hearst Castle--yes, it is worth the visit. The staff members were pleasant and provided advice on restaurants in town. Although they serve coffee and cake in the office, and in-room coffee-maker would be a nice addition.

Comments