6400 Moonstone Beach Drive, Cambria, California, 93428, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 68% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• My New Favorite Hotel!

This hotel (and others in the Pacifica chain) could not be better. It's quaint and picturesque with thoroughly modern amenities, steps away from the beach and extraordinarily fine dining. The breakfast included fresh-squoze juice and was excellent. Some rooms are pet-friendly. If you shop different sites or call them directly, rates are beyond reasonable (do not go for the "rack" rate, we saved 50% over that, paying only $150/nt for an ocean-view suite). The grounds are lovely, the staff is beyond accomodating. We spent two nights there last week, and could find nothing to complain about - and I'm a professional complainer! A thoroughly wonderful establishment, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Unique Quality: The pool and jacuzzi are protected by a glass windbreak and view the ocean. I snuck out in the middle of the night to capture the full moon setting on the ocean (!) after earlier photographing an astonishing sunset. Nearby Cambria is charming and also close-at-hand Hearst Castle is not to be missed. This place is a jewel.

Directions: 101 to Windsor (left if northbound), immediate right onto Moonstone Beach Dr.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Lovely spacious room, right on the beach

In order to get an early start to Hearst Castle in nearby San Simeon the next morning, Kat booked the Fog Catcher Inn in Cambria, about 5 miles to the south. San Simeon has some hotels of it's own but most seemed to be budget chain hotels without a lot of ambiance.

The Fog Catcher is on Moonstone Beach, there's access to a beachfront walking path right across the street. Soon after I took a photo of the beach around 5 pm, the fog did indeed roll in and stayed there until after we left the next morning.

Unique Quality: Our room at the Fog Catcher was enormous, 2 queen beds, a gas fireplace, a small kitchen with a coffee maker, microwave, and a small refrigerator along with a couple of complimentary bottles of water. There's an ironing board and iron in the room and a TV with a decent selection of channels.

The bathroom had a heat lamp, plenty of hot water, toiletries include soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. There are bathrobes and a hairdryer.

There's a very nice deluxe continental breakfast in the morning with pastries, fruit, cereal, eggs, sausages, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, toast plus my personal favorite, do it yourself waffles (ha, ha, now Kat has seen me cook!)

The Fog Catcher has a heated pool but we didn't use it.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Old English Charm on California's Central Coast

We decided one day to take off and go up to Cambria. It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon so we decided we better call and get reservations for lodging. After calling several places and was turned away, I tried the Fog Catcher Inn.

Up at the north end of Moonstone Beach Drive, which is farther away from the noise and traffic is The Fog Catcher Inn. Built in the Old English style the inn has thatched roofs, leaded glass windows, and flowers and greenery all throughout the property.

The rooms are spacious to say the least. We had a King size 4 poster bed (which I might add was one of the MOST comfortable beds I have ever slept in). There was a fireplace, a microwave, coffee pot and hairdryer as well.

The room was so large that those traveling with children or a group of four people would have no space issues if a crib or roll a way bed were added.

An extended continental breakfast was served in their dining area and is included in the nightly rate.

Unique Quality: A lot of the rooms have an ocean view but for those which don't you can still hear the surf crashing on the shoreline from your room.

Very close to Hearst Castle, matter of fact if you go online the Fog Catcher Inn offers accomodation and Hearst Castle packages.

More about FogCatcher Inn

Charming and looks just like the picture.

by TripAdvisor Member hollythetravelgirl

The Fogcatcher Inn is amazing! Clean, affordable, romantic and right across the beach! After looking at the other hotels along that beach-my boyfriend and I definately agree that the ambiance is very relaxing and charming.It really does look like the pictures you see of it-unlike alot of other places. Although the innkeeper for that evening directed us to the wrong room and we disturbed the guest-the staff is very friendly and made our stay enjoyable. I recommend the romance package!

better off elsewhere

I would never go to the fogcatcher inn again! Save your money and sleep in your car!
The room is tiny and if you weren't already clausterphobic, you will
be. The dirty down comforter which they haven't bothered to clean in
ages made my whole body itchy and their service was a joke! The cramped
bathroom needs to be updated and the fake fireplace fits in with the
faux decor. Forget about the breakfast, unless you like to eat cold
chewy eggs and drink watered down coffee.

A Great Value, & Lovely

I was very pleased with the very lovely accomodations at the FogCatcher Inn. Everyone was very pleaseant. The rooms were clean and very pretty. The beds had beautiful damsk-like thick comforters. The ceilings slant up high about 16 feet. Unlike a previous comment that I read before coming, the bathrooms were not especially small. I liked that they had a small window up high to allow for exit of shower steams and other odors. The price was very reasonable for a holiday weekend. I would definitely come back. Also there are a lot of beautiful plants and flowers and across the street is the ocean view. I almost forgot that the breakfast, included in the price, was very nice. It included fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, juices, coffee, and more than the average.

Thanks for the tip

The reviews were correct. This was a great place to stay. Our room was large, actually a mini-suite, and very affordable. We were on the lower floor with a full view of the ocean. You literally walk across the road to the beach and can hike up and down for miles. After a morning hike, we enjoyed the ample breakfast. The fireplace in the room was also a nice touch to a nicely decorated and appointed room. Cambria is a fun little town...we wish we could have stayed longer.

overpriced undersized hotel room

Tiny room with dirty ithcy linens ... Don't eat the eggs, unless you like to chew... Website pictures deceptive... POOL is in the the back of a parking lot, not near the ocean, and bathroom looks like a Motel 6.... You're better off camping and saving your 200 Bucks ...

Pleasant Stay at Fog Catcher

by TripAdvisor Member BrentET

We enjoyed our stay at the Fog Catcher. Even though we didn't have a suite our room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated (although not luxurious). The bed was very comfortable and the gas firelace is a nice touch. Our room was also well soundproofed, it was located right next to the swimming pool, but we didn't hear any noise unless we opened a window. The hotel grounds are nicely landscaped and they have several benches in the gardens for sitting outside. Like most of the hotels in Cambria the Fog Catcher is located across from the beach on Moonstone Drive, it's a short stroll across the road to the beach. They do offer a full breakfast, but I wasn't impressed with it. It was the same the two days I checked it out, (I don't know if this is always true). It consisted of biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt, fruit and plastic-wrapped plain bagels. I would have liked to see some breakfast meats and sweet rolls. This isn't a luxurious hotel, but it was a good deal for the money. We paid $109 per night for a single room with king bed (this was a weekday rate). For the price I think we got a good deal. Strangely, this rate wasn't available through the Fog Catcher reservation line. I had seen the rate quoted on the AAA web site, so I called the Fog Catcher reservation line. They quoted a higher rate and told me the $109 rate was only available through AAA and other internet reservation systems.

Reservations line quotes higher rates

Your better off booking at AAA if you don't want to be overcharged by
the hotel's reservations operator No extra blankets available on
weekends, even though there were plenty of rooms available.
Skip the breakfast and eat in town where you can get decent chow. Rooms/bathrooms on the small side. Avoid the weekend if you can, since they double their rates - ouch- and require two nights stay.... Other Moonstone properties had nicer views

and newer and in better condition.

Comments