Pelican Suites

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Pelican Suites

Beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member bcaha

After reading so many TripAdvisor reviews of hotels and motels along the California coast I decided to take my chances on the Pelican Cove Inn. I did call them directly with a few questions ahead of time, to confirm my choice. The man was so helpful on the phone. In the car, our kids kept asking us if it would be nice there. I was keeping my fingers crossed... And we were very pleasantly surprised. The room was absolutely beautiful and spotlessly clean. Five of us stayed in the one room, but it was only for one night. The breakfast was perfect for us - a small buffet, certainly enough choice for us. The only thing keeping me from giving this inn all 5 circles for excellent is that there is no place to eat dinner on the premises. You have to walk - short walk - to another hotel. Or drive. We were very happy with Pelican Cove Inn!

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Steves501s

I took my wife to the Pelican Cove Inn to celebrate our 4th Anniversary and her big 50th Birthday. We spent 3 wonderful nights in room 103. Canopy bed, fireplace, Spa tub, and full ocean view from the sliding door and the patio. The free Breakfast was wonderful, my wife espically liked the belgium waffles. Wine and Cheese in the afternoon, and super desserts in the evening. I can't say enough about the staff, especially Joseph at the front desk. With his recommendation we dined at the Sea Chest the first night, just a short walk from the hotel. No reservations, no credit cards, (but they do take checks). Even with no reservations, people from all over the area come there to dine. Wonderful. On the second night, on Joseph's recommendation, we dined at the Sow's Ear in East Cambria. Very romantic, roaring fireplace. Patrick, the maitred, makes every one feel special. I read all the negative reports on the Pelican Cove, I don't know what more some people expect. It is pricey, but we felt we definitly got our moneys worth. For a full ocean view, rooms 101 to 104 and 201 to 204 are the ticket. Spa tubs are on the ground floor only, except for the two upstairs honeymoon suites, 201 & 204. We will be back next year for sure!

Perfect in every way.

by TripAdvisor Member davegidd

We arrived in Cambria for an overnight stop and had three inns in mind based on TripAdvisor reviews. We drove up Moonstone and decided the Pelican Suites looked the best, so we walked in without a reservation. The staff bent over backwards to be gracious. We have never had service this friendly anywhere. The clerk insisted on showing us an oceanfront room and gave us a huge discount without being asked for one. We knew it was a deal too good to pass up because we had already checked prices online. The room directly faced the ocean and could not have been any nicer. There was a sunken living room with a gas fireplace, a huge four-poster bed, refrigerator, microwave, free bottled water, coffee and tea.

We were also taken on a short tour of the charming dining area where she offered us wine and cheese while we checked in. They also serve an evening dessert buffet, which we didn't sample. Breakfast was served until 10am and featured different hot items each day. We liked the hotel so much we extended an extra night and they gave us the same great deal for a Friday night. The hot dishes at breakfast were imaginative and very good. The chef was very friendly and explained everything to each guest as they came in. The dining room has its own fireplace and tables set with linens. Very nice.

There is no question we would stay here again. We didn't want to leave!

We were told that they have recently taken over operation of the adjacent Cypress Cove Inn and the name of the combined inn will change to Pelican Cove Inn. We would recommend asking for a room in the original "suites" portion of the property. The rooms in the other section do not include the hot breakfast or other amenities, just a continental breakfast.

Most Amazing Place to Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Cambriana

I just spent a night in Heaven (or the closest thing to it here on earth), and its name is Pelican Suites.
Located just across the street from one of the most breathtaking ocean views on earth, Pelican Suites is the place to go when you want comfort, beauty, and great service all rolled into one.
From the moment we checked in the staff was friendly, helpful, and accomodating.
Our room was like a dream come true. I love old world furnishings and comfort and this place has it in droves! From the high queen beds with plenty of soft pillows and a down comforter, to the sitting area with comfy couch, elegant tables and fireplace, not to mention the large bathroom filled with the best in toiletries and soft towels, to the gratis extras like robes, bottled water, mini refrigerator, microwave, blow dryer, ironing board with iron, grind and brew coffee machine and coffee fixings (regular and decaf), I couldn't believe how well taken care of I felt.
Our room had a patio that was right off the heated pool (perfect temp and very clean).
Cleanliness is important to the staff and it shows...everything was immaculate!
One of the best things included in the price.. full breakfast (the day we were there it was 2 kinds of omelets, ham, potatoes, cereal, fruit, waffles, bagels, assorted breads, pastries, 3 kinds of juice, coffee, tea, and hot cocoa. We also had a lovely afternoon nibble of cheeses, crackers, sparkling cider, several types of wine, coffee, hot cocoa and tea.
And for after dinner......a dessert selection! All of this was included in the price!
I would recommend Pelican Suites to anyone looking for the best Cambria has to offer in comfort and service. Sure it's on the high end...but worth every single penny!

LOVED THE PELICAN AND WISHED WE COULD HAVE STAYED LONGER

by TripAdvisor Member zuberry

As part of our Californian trip stayed one night with my husband and daughter and had a truly excellent stay here. We had a twin queen bedded room in the original annex and had a small balancy overlooking the ocean. The room was extremely comfortable with a lovely fireplace and the sound of the pacific was fantastic. We enjoyed a bottle of wine on the terrace and enjoyed the view and sea. Breakfast the next morning was served in the lounge next to Reception and this was very enjoyable. All in all this was a lovely night's stay and really wish we could have stayed longer. If the opportunity arises again to visit Cambria we would certainly stay at the Pelican.

Past it's Prime

by TripAdvisor Member popsbob

A nice place, but a bit worn around the edges. The room was okay and roomy enough, but a stained duvet cover and a blanket with holes in it was a bit disturbing. After notifying the staff, both of the above problems were rectified. Also, being required to pay for high speed internet in a $200 per night room feels a little like "gouging." We have stayed at about five different hotels along Moonstone Beach and this is the only one we will not be visiting again.

Perfection on Moonstone Beach

What a lovely Inn. We`ve stayed in Cambria many times but never at a nicer place. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the rooms were very nice. The whole place was super clean and price included a tasty evening wine and cheese buffet and an excellent breakfast. On top of all that, the Pacific is just across the street and if you leave the window open the waves will lull you to sleep. Our only regret was that we couldn`t stay longer.

Better looking in real life

by TripAdvisor Member ochummingbird

The Pelican Suites were wonderful. We chose blindly off their website. We were not impressed with their pictures. The rooms are much nicer in person. The exterior shot they have should be replaced. Their exterior is nice looking and landscaped nicely. We had the north corner suite. It was large, charming and had an incredible view. Lot's of fun tasting wine and cheeses. The staff was very friendly. We were very happy and would go back.

Mixed review for this inn

by TripAdvisor Member jaelsne

I can see why reviews are all over the map from one to five! This hotel is in a glorious location just steps from the beach (as all the hotels on Moonstone Bay). We stayed on the second floor in a double queen room--ocean view--not a suite--for just over $300/night.

For that price, I expected luxury. Not so. Our room was similar to a Ramada or Holiday Inn. Decent decor (if you like three designs of wallpaper in the same room!), small picture window with a view of the ocean. Our room did not have a patio, which didn't turn out to be much of a problem as we spent time outdoors. If a patio/deck is important to you be sure to ask!

The bathroom was clean, but the tub was the shallowest thing I had ever seen. I doubt that anybody over 10 could take a decent bath in it. Also, the towels were paper thin.

I thought the breakfast buffet was more than adequate. Though not a gourmet delight, there were plenty of choices ranging from cereal and fruit to make-your-own waffles. Everyone seemed to enjoy the wine and cheese in the afternoon.

The people at the front desk were fabulous. They were very helpful with making reservations for us. Our ten-year-old loved Linn's for it's great food, casual decor, and ollalaberry cheesecake. We also enjoyed fine dining at the Sow's Ear.

All in all, we had a lovely time at Pelican Suites. However, I agree with another reviewer who said that the price is about double what one should expect to pay. If this room were in a more plebian location, it would go for less than $100 a night. One expects to pay more for an ocean view--but $300/night? Come on, get real...

We don't go to Cambria often, so I haven't compared this hotel to others.

GREAT HOTEL!!!

stayed at many hotels in Cambria and this is by far the best.
stayed in room #207 with an awesome ocean view. great room, actual shower that had water pressure!! good breakfast. all around a 10.

Comments