San Simeon Pines Seaside Rest

7200 Moonstone Beach Dr., Cambria, California, United States
San Simeon Pines Resort
Orbitz.com

More about San Simeon Pines Seaside Rest

New is not always better!

by TripAdvisor Member royalcopley

I've noticed that a good deal of reviewers have commented about San Simeon Pines being "dated" or "old". Please, that's part of it's charm.
The Statue of Liberty is dated...should we we melt it down and erect something new like McDonald's golden arches in it's place? But I digress. My parents took me to the Pines when I was a child and gratefully it hasn't changed much since then. It is unquestionably the PRETTIEST and most PRIVATE place to stay on Moonstone Dr. and although the continental breakfast is laughably bad, we don't mind going into town for gormet coffee and pastries. If you're not a spoiled American who can live without some amenities like the hair dryer, iron and continental breakfast, then the San Simeon Pines is for you.

This place just looks expensive.

We almost drove by this pleasant motel and were pleasantly surprised how affordable The Pines was. A quiet place with a beach access,golf, croquet and shuffleboard. By far the most spacious lodging on Moonstone Beach Drive. A short walking distance from The Hamlet Restaurant, which gave us a tremendous sunset over the ocean and a great dinner. We will return to San Simeon Pines soon.

Unique, Unlike any other Motel

by TripAdvisor Member HappyMike3

The buildings are "Ranch Style" with a warm feeling to the place.
Immaculate grounds with their own beach under a bridge from the par-3 golf course. There were hermit crabs in the tide pools and the kids had a tremendous time. The Hamlet restaurant, a short distance away gave us a beautiful sunset view with good food.

A piece of peace

The staff is pleasant and helpful. The rooms are spacious, the matteress was comfortable as were the pillows. The hotel itself is very rustic, tucked away at the end of Moonstone Dr. it is very peaceful, quiet and rewarding . The beach is clean with lots of small rocks to collect. Plenty of shopping a mile away. Hearst Caastle is right there.
I would suggest this hotel over the others if you are looking for a secluded spot without seeing other tourist.

R & R without unnecessary frills

Visiting family over the holidays, and the only thing good about the trip was the motel I stayed at. Great people, great rooms, great service, and the best price in the area for my budget. It's a huge place, but it's not imposing. I'm coming back with my fiance this summer. They booked me six months in advance without a problem. The best thing: privacy. The worst thing: didn't get to stay long enough.

A little dated

After along drive we decided to check this out as it was away for the rest of the motel strip. Rate was OK, but when I asked about an agent discount I was told no, but she (front desk clerk) did not mention that they offered AAA discounts. I am sorry I bothered her. Anyway room was quiet except for water from neighbors shower in am. Grounds are pretty and well maintained. Continenal breakfast should not be offered.... I would not stay here again.

Unexpected Bliss

Got stuck on Hwy. 1 recently on my way to Big Sur due to a road closure because of a rock slide, and had to turn around. Stopped at the first place I saw past San Simeon (Hearst Castle home) expecting to get gouged with high rates. I loved this place so much, I stayed an extra day and booked rooms for the family vacation this summer. Very kid friendly and the added bonus: all the rooms are non smoking.

Quiet Retreat

While visiting Cambria we were pleasantly surprised to find this low key and I must report under rated Inn on the very north end of Moonstone Beach Drive. Well kept, you would find it hard to even find even a scrap of paper on the grounds. Nestled among large pine and majestic cypress trees, several of the rooms located on the par-3 golf course look down to the ocean. A ?Must Stay Place? in the Cambria area.

Beautiful Grounds

We have stayed in several places in Cambria over the years and overlooked what is the most under rated motel in the area. We always thought it would be too expensive because of the large grounds and golf course. We were wrong! ?The Pines? is low key, quiet, not over lit at night, warm facility with real wood burning fireplaces in the adult.
The pool is in a great protected area and extremely clean. The beach is at the bottom of the golf course and you can walk directly onto the cove. Shuffleboard and croquet are there as well. No other place in Cambria compares. Located among trees, this is the prettiest place in town.

A quaint resort near Hearst castle.

by TripAdvisor Member scasci

This place is like going back in time. Sure, the rooms are decorated in "early motel" and the towels are rather skimpy, but the setting and proximity to Hearst Castle can not be beat. We were traveling with 2 teenagers and they fell in love with the place because "there was something to do". We all played croquet and had the best together time of the entire 10 day trip. There was also shuffle board, a good sized heated pool and a 9 hole golf course (designed for amateur golfers as the grass was rather long and we had to drive with a wedge!) There are some wonderful restaurants nearby: we had lunch at the Hamlet on Rte. 1 and watched the ocean from the 2nd floor windows - great seafood. For dinner we ventured into Cambria and discovered Robin's which was a gem: cozy decoration and wonderful fresh dishes with an asian flair. If you prefer a more elegant hotel, look up other properties on Moonstone Drive in Cambria - there were some much fancier looking places near the beach. If you want ambiance, stick with the Pines Resort. By the way, the coffee and muffin breakfast was fine, certainly enough to fuel us up for a tour of the castle. A final note, be sure to book your tour beforehand at hearstcastle.com or at (800) 444-4445. We had planned to visit the afternoon before and they were sold out.

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACEBETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE

seaside mansion in Cambrfiaseaside mansion in Cambrfia

A BEAUTIFUL VIEW OF THE COASTA BEAUTIFUL VIEW OF THE COAST

Upscale wine accessories and bakery sectionUpscale wine accessories and bakery section

Comments