Ramada Carlsbad by the Sea San Diego

2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

751 Macadamia Drive, Poinsettia exit off I-5, Carlsbad, California, 92011, United States
Ramada Carlsbad
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Ramada Carlsbad by the Sea San Diego

Good Family Value

by TripAdvisor Member San Diego is best

Overall, for the money this was a good choice. The beach is within walking distance; grocery store & eating choices just a short walk/drive away. The hotel is adjacent to a busy freeway so I imagine the rooms on that side might be noisy. We were able to get a room (#243) facing the center courtyard & pool and had no problem with the noise. However, the windows let in very little natural light. The room itself was clean but small for a 1 bedroom suite. It's 2 long, narrow rooms with a small kitchenette in the back of the 1st room. There is a wall air conditioner in the first room and a box-like swamp cooler in the bedroom, which worked great but it took up some valuable space. Adequate closet space and hangars. Free wi-fi connection in the room. Free breakfast. Free newspapers in the lobby. Lots of families in the pool.

Great place, highly recommended for families

by TripAdvisor Member knwpsk

I stayed here with my family in July 2007. We had a great experience, and found some of the other reviews on this site to be very useful and accurate. We stayed on the west side, away from the highway, and away from the pool, on the 3rd floor. It was plenty quiet, peaceful, and we didn't have any significant complaints. The daily breakfast buffet was substantial, clean, pleasant. The pool is not big, but wasn't too crowded most of the time. The hottub is nice, especially since the weather was mild. The hotel was generally clean, well-kept, well-managed. Free wireless network available in guest rooms; and they have free use of a couple of PCs in the lobby. Staff was pleasant. 10 min walk to the public beach, which is also nice, clean, well-kept. Easy on/off freeway and close to lots of theme parks, etc. Traffic is tough going toward San Diego during rush hour (i.e. to Sea World or to SAN airport).

Value was TERRIFIC - we got a full 2-BR suite, including a separate living room and kitchenette, for about $100 per night!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL FOR FAMILY TRAVEL.

cheap but won't do it again

by TripAdvisor Member mykidssherpa

Typical what you pay for is what you get. It is possible to get an approx $100 a night rate here, a bargain for this area in the peak summer time. However, the rooms are so small and air flow so poor that the bedroom part of the suite never gets air conditioned air which made for a difficult sleeping.

Also, we did get a courtyard room away from the freeway but there was a great deal of noise coming from the pool area until 10 at night and this is a problem since our kids go to bed by 9 pm. While this is a family hotel, it is to be expected, but the two issues above places it firmly in the 2 star category.

Extremely Clean, Excellent Breakfast, Friendly and Helpful Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Mom22GreatGirls

This all suite hotel is extremely clean. The breakfast is delicious and the staff is friendly and helpful. We stayed four nights. During this time: I asked the staff at the front desk many questions regarding directions and each person was always patient with me. In the lobby is an area with snacks, frozen foods, etc. for purchase. Best of all this property is walking distance to Carlsbad State Beach! There is wireless internet and two computers with printers in the lobby area.

Great value!

by TripAdvisor Member ptownmom

Our family (my husband and I and our one year old son) stayed at the Ramada for three nights in May, and were pleasantly surprised. I was leery due to the pre-May, 2007 reviews here, mentioning missing items and insects, but we found our room to be comfortable and clean. BELIEVE ME, I checked every drawer and cabinet and even under the bed...not even a dust bunny! The front desk staff was friendly, the continental breakfast was well-stocked and offered a good variety, and the rooms are not that noisy. We had a room that did not face the pool, and we slept just fine. There is a great shopping center down the street too, and with the kitchenette in the room, we were able to buy milk, fruit, etc. for our son and keep it in-room to bring to Legoland (instead of spending the money at the park). Overall, it's a great value.

Decent for the price

by TripAdvisor Member HugoHackenbush

I'm a local and stayed for 3 nights while some work was being done on my home. It's within a few minutes of lots of dining, the beach , and freeway. That's good and bad. The room I had was on the east side of the property and the freeway noise was noticable. I would recommend staying on the west side, which is the furthest away from the freeway.
The staff was nice and helpful, parking was plentiful, and it wasn't too crowded during my weekend stay. The price was extremely reasonable
for the area and I would stay again.

OK But Very Small Beds

by TripAdvisor Member leesgrl

We stayed here 3 nights not bad very small double beds but great pice and overall clean .I requested a room not by the freeway after reading the reviews so we had a room overlooking pool area not bad still noise but not as bad .You get a hot meal in the morning great for kids so overall not bad hotel if needed i would stay here again but i think i will use marriot next time just beacuse beds are small

way too small a room

by TripAdvisor Member eksiii

Our suite was so small that it far outweighed the hotel's positives (clean, well located, friendly). You could not imagine a smaller suite, The sofa bed hit the TV, blocking the room. The queen bed almost reached the opposite wall as well, making navigation a trick. There was no seating other than the 2 chairs at the small round table, and the room felt awfully crowded. That said, everything else was above average. Maybe this was a unique room. But it's enough to turn us elsewhere next time.

Above Average...if you get a good rate

by TripAdvisor Member Milan23

My family stays at the RI - Carlsbad twice a year. We have family in the area and this hotel gives us the space to relax without costing a ridiculous amount of money.

The breakfast, location, and size of the rooms cannot be beat. Yes, it is a bit worn. Yes, it can get quite loud (both freeway noise and pool traffic). The bottom line is, if you make your reservations early in the year, you can get a 1 bedroom suite for around $159. This is a cheaper rate and higher value than you are going to get anything else in the area.

OK place to stay or one night

by TripAdvisor Member unknown_to_nyc

My family stayed here for one night to visit Legoland. We checked in at 7pm and checked out at 9 am. The stay was too short that really nothing much could bother us. The room is very small, but you got everything you need: Iron, hair dryer, microwave, safe, refrigerator, coffer machine, complimentary coffee & tea etc. The motel is old, but things are pretty well kept. Room was clean. The staffs were helpful and nice. Breaksfast was great, include waffles, cheese omlets, biscuits with susage gravy, fruits, yogurts, etc....We were there during Spring break and the motel was fully booked. The breakfast area was small so go early to bit the crowd. We finished our at around 8:30 and started seeing a lot of families coming in. The motel is at a great location. Very quite but seems to be a safe area. La Quinta & Quality Inn are just right by each other. Many restaurants nearby and best of all, a grocery store (Ralph) nearby. Legoland is only a mile away. It is a great value to stay for a day or two.

Comments