5480 Grand Pacific Drive, Carlsbad, California, 92008, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa

Wonderful service

by TripAdvisor Member Felisa72

My family stayed at the Sheraton Carlsbad as a convenient location for taking our boys to LegoLand. The hotel is literally out the back gate of LegoLand so it is impossible to get any closer. The property is brand new and our room was impeccably clean. We ordered room service as well as ate in the club lounge. The attendants were very friendly towards our children and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. There is free shuttle to the park also. The pool doesn't have anything special for the kids (like a slide or spouts) but it is a nice big pool. I would definitely recommend this hotel for families. Nearby are many restaurants and a grocery store.

Superb Service

by TripAdvisor Member lollygagNYC

I am just wrapping up a visit at the new Sheraton Carlsbad with my 5-year-old son and felt I had to write to say how positive our experience has been. Everything is spanking new, and the room was super quiet and comfortable.
Best of all was the staff -- plentiful and immensely helpful. We were up before the sun since we (or at least one of us) was on east coast time, and the staff was present and welcoming at 5:45. In fact, the woman prepping the gift shop/coffee bar served us even though the shop was not officially open and the cash register was not even functioning. Room service was a little uncertain about the day's specials, but they delivered everything with a flourish in well under 30 minutes.
View of the ocean is lovely, and the grounds are well-maintained and spotless.

Super Duper!

by TripAdvisor Member CaroSanJose

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Carlsbad with my family on our trip to Legoland. We loved this hotel. The hotel is new and clean. We had a basic doubles room. It was spacious and the bathroom was big.
We used the pool, and my six year old son liked it. It has quite a bit of shallower areas for kids to play around in. There was free in room wireless internet, and the self-parking was only $8. The room did have a little fridge available, (and I think you can request a microwave). We also used to in room dining service for breakfast and, after an exhausting day at Legoland, for dinner as well. The food was great for room service, and they had a kids menu available for both breakfast and dinner. We also ate at the on site restaurant and found that pretty good. I think what I appreciated the most was the private entrance to Legoland. We got there right before it opened, only had one family in front of us, and got right on the first coaster a few minutes later. I think if you are going to Legoland with your family, this is the place to stay. We saved a lot of time (and parking money) by having this access. And at the end of the day, it was nice to just walk up to a clean, beautiful hotel. I booked through the Sheraton website, and just kept my eyes on the price. We got a deal for $199 a night.

Is this the only Sheraton that does not have CNN??!

by TripAdvisor Member lilzeppelin

The hotel has only been open for two months or so and has some problems even though the rooms are great- very spacious, with a nice wardrobe, high-definition flat panel TV and what-seemed-like-marble bathrooms. The hotel did not have any "Services directory", so it was not clear if it offered in-room dining, etc. The TV had some hi-def channels, but it did not offer CNN (they only had Headline News). This was very very strange.
There is a largish pool and whirlpool outside, and the gym is good size too. There was valet parking and self-parking available. Although the hotel is next to the Legoland, there is nothing else in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Premium Outlets Mall located a short drive away. The club lounge did not have healthy foods available, apart from some fruit salad, cereal and low-fat yoghurt, there was no whole-wheat bread (just white bagels, and breads, as well as some pastries). Coffee in the lounge was so and so. Staff were friendly and service-oriented. The wireless internet in the room was (still) free. Our room was "ocean-view", and since the hotel is on the hill you could see the ocean in the horizon actually. The room came with a nice patio (floors 2-3 had baconies).

Fabulous Hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Wendi-and-Max

I only stayed one night for our Legoland visit with my 6-year-old son and 17 and 18-year-old niece and nephew, but this hotel was wonderful, we all loved it. We were able to enter Legoland through the private back entrance at opening time and it took a while for any other guests to get back there so we had our first few rides to ourselves.

Our room was large and very clean, and what can I say about those Sheraton beds??? Perfect! The room decor is very pleasing and functional. Toiletries were Shine Mandarin & Mint scented shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and shower gel, plus bar soap. There is also a scrubby-puff (don't know the actual name of those little mesh things scrunched into a ball for soaping up). There is a balcony with two chairs and a table. Ours overlooked a bunch of fields that aren't planted yet and some houses in the distance (backside of the hotel).

There is free WiFi throughout the resort. The pool is big and warm... actually a little too warm, but that's OK with me. We swam early in the morning, so it was nice that it wasn't cold. Big towels are provided poolside and there are restrooms and nice big shower rooms next to the pool.

The lobby is nice, though we didn't check it out other than the front desk when we checked in.

There is plenty of parking if you want to self-park. We parked right next to the Legoland path when we arrived, then moved to the parking under our building when we had our room assignment.

We all thought this place was amazing and I wish we could've stayed longer. I highly recommend it for anyone who is coming to the area. We did drive over to the outlet mall to have dinner at Ruby's Diner - it was very close, but not within walking distance.

Good with a few kinks

by TripAdvisor Member shankman

Generally, I thought the hotel was nice. It's nice and new and clean. But it still has a few kinks that can hopefully be worked out.

My first impression was that the registration and bell staff was friendly but talked too much. It was beyond the point of friendly or courtesy but kind of "know-it-all" and annoying. Personally, I would prefer somewhere with staff who smiles, and says "Good morning, how are you today?" but otherwise keeps the chit-chat to a minimum. I'm more of a "Please get me checked into my room as quickly as possible. That's all, thank you." type.

Even though it's only 4 floors (including the garage), plan on long waits if you use the elevator. There are apparently no service elevators and it seemed that every time I used it, I had to share it with a cart of laundry.

My shower didn't drain properly. At the end of my 5 minute shower, I was ankle deep in water. However, I didn't report it because I was only there one night and didn't think it worth the trouble.

Service in the restaurant was a bit slow and inaccurate. There were several large groups that seemed to come in at the same time. But, there was still plenty of open seats.

I thought the grounds and the property itself were real nice. Especially the pool.

I would stay again if I was in the neighborhood. However, probably not at $225+ a night.

Comfortable, clean

by TripAdvisor Member moffatt313

We stayed here for a week. This hotel was recommended by my husband's company. First impression driving up to the hotel was it looked grand. But the customer service was almost non - existent at reception. The lady did not bother to greet us, or smile. She quickly gave us our keys and set us on our way. We found that very cold.
Our room was located on the 2nd floor on a low rise 3 level building. It was large, clean and comfortable. Self parking is underground for $8 / a day. The walls are thin. Not what i expected of the Sheraton. We could here a baby crying , and kids running all along the hall way. There was also ceiling noise, from a guest on the top floor , with heavy foot steps at 7am each morning!
There is a charge for almost everything here, even toll free numbers,newspapers and 1L bottle water - $4.50 each ( we bought 2.5 gallon water - same brand- at the grocery store for $3.50. ) There is also a resort fee chage of $10 a day. Not sure what that is for. These were not mentioned by the front desk upon checking in. Aittle dissapointing.
The fridge is small, and does not seem cold. I guess they want you to spend money at their resort, as oppose to stocking up on snacks and drinks from your local grocer.
Other than that, the bed was confortable, and clean, and so was the bathroom. Housekeeping did an extremely good job.
Location is convenient, safe and close to the Carlsbad outlet, where theres restaurants and shopping.

Loved the Sheraton

by TripAdvisor Member beachnena

We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights, it was absolutely great! I would like to recommend this hotel to families visiting Legoland as the hotel has its own private entrance. The staff was very friendly and informative, the pool was heated so even if its a bit chilly in the afternoon you will be able to enjoy it. The rooms are huge and nicely appointed, the bathroom was very big and everything was very clean. I recommend that if you are interested in booking a room, you should call the hotel directly and ask them for the best available rate. We were able to book for 149 per night which was a great deal for the quality of service we received its worth double that amount. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Awesome!

by TripAdvisor Member DaniB0y

Booked this stay with Starwood points and as a Gold member was upgraded to a club level floor which included access to the lounge and a late check out to 4 pm.

The physical property and rooms are beautiful, spacious and clean! Its proximity to Legoland is fantastic with a private entrance for hotel guests and no lines to get in to the park. Best of all its a 10 min walk from the hotel and no need to pay another $10 to park at Legoland!

The pool area and fitness center are top notch on a great setting over looking the ocean.

There is an $10 a day resort fee + $8/day self parking which is in an underground garage that has elevator access directly to the rooms.

Free wifi throughout the property is nice (also they have a PC in the lounge with free access), also pool side food service was quite reasonable $6.50 for a kids chicken fingers and fries.

The hotel staff is still going through start up pains and at times found that the staff on the phone were not fully knowledgeable about everything e.g. (when is the pool open , restaurant hours lounge etc) . Kept asking around and found someone who did know. On the other hand a few employees were really outstanding and made our stay great

Beyond that the breakfast in the lounge was adequate though the staff were scrambling to get everything restocked at 9am. On the other hand breakfast at the main restaurant is expensive would have been close to $100 for a family of 5 (2 adults 3 small kids) as its all al a carte (no buffet)

After a long day at Legoland we came back picked up some take out and ate dinner in the lounge

All in all this is a great Sheraton and with time the staff training issues should improve as its only been open for a few months

We'll be back soon

Staff Lacking in Training

by TripAdvisor Member Sarahdork69

The property is new and clean and in a convenient location if you are part of a family visiting Legoland, but if you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, look to another property. The front desk staff is professional and helpful.

Special mention should be given to the spa facilities; they did a wonderful job and were the highlight of the visit.

The first thing that I noticed was the accumulation of dirty dishes in the hallways of the guest rooms and the lack of bussing in the restaurant and pool side. The food in the restaurant was mediocre at best as well as the service, especially breakfast.

I know that this is a new property and they are working out the kinks, given what I witnessed at the property the staff should not be held accountable so much as the management for not training and managing there staff effectively. Because of the lack of coordinated service we found it easier to leave the property for meals as the restaurant took too much time and was trying to our patience.

I should mention that my wife and I have a combined 20 years experience in the hospitality industry, this being said we are able to recognize ongoing problems in operations as opposed to infrequent hiccups in daily operations.

Comments